The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Friendly cats need understanding indoor or barn homes (Balto. MD)

The rescue I work with has a couple of long-timers in their adoption program who are tame/friendly cats, but not great adoption candidates for one reason or another. And they're getting sooooo many calls about kittens these days that they really can't spare the cage space to keep these guys for as long as it would take to find them the kind of homes they need.

The cats are currently being advertised with a waived adoption fee, and would be fine as indoor guys in understanding/patient homes. But they're also willing to give them away as barn cats.

There are three:

James
    The Gromble
    Nellie

James is very timid -- he was adopted out, but returned after 5 days because he hadn't come out from under the bed. He's currently at the rescue's Petco adoption center (in Owings Mills, if anyone local wants to meet him in person) and is very friendly there. I think he just needs someone understanding who won't freak out if he hides for a week or two. He also has a bit of a flea allergy, so if he was going to be a barn cat, you'd probably need to keep him on Frontline during flea season.

Gromble is friendly, but can be a bit unpredictable. They think he doesn't like being around a lot of other cats. He was an owned cat at some point, and was even wearing a rabies tag when he was found... but the previous owner cannot be located. Gromble was neutered in 2003, so is probably about 7 years old.

Nellie is a tame kitty, but has kind of a "chestnut mare" personality and only likes to be petted a certain way, so has been difficult to adopt out. She is also a middle-aged kitty.

All the cats are fixed, current on vax, negative for FLV, and microchipped. Delivery can be arranged.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	gromblemain.jpg 
Views:	35 
Size:	7.3 KB 
ID:	25028   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	jamesmain.jpg 
Views:	29 
Size:	5.6 KB 
ID:	25029   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	orangecatmain.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	7.1 KB 
ID:	25030  

Erin is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

I believe Nellie has a barn home lined up, but the others are still looking.

Nellie and another of Erin's cute kitties will be coming to live at my barn. I can't wait to meet them!