The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Tell me how I should market this horse as a Giveaway...

Sadly, my gorgeous coming 9 y/o 16.3H Hanoverian gelding looks like he is going to be a Giveaway.

He could be a trail horse if he was turned out most of the day.

However, I don't think he's going to be quite sound enough to do more than walk/trot.

The issue? We don't know. I've spent over 15K in work-ups on this horse over the years, including bone scans, ultrasounds, injections.... you name it, he's had it. His issue seems to be his right front/left hind diagonal, but no one can pinpoint the exact cause. He's a little hitchy sometimes at the trot and crow-hops at the canter, sometimes kicking out. He has phases when he's largely OK, and then times when he refuses to move forward and the hitchiness is worse.

The horse is now in VA, as I sent him down there for the winter to see (as a last ditch effort) if some time out in a field would help... nope. I am having one more vet look at him this week, and then I'm done.

I am willing to retire him there, but if I can find someone who may want him as a companion (he needs no maintenance, so would be cheap to keep), or an occasional trail horse I would consider it.

Problem is, there are SO many horses out there right now looking for homes.

It sucks because he is such a nice horse and an absolute doll on the ground.

Honest opinions, please- is it even worth it for me to try and place him, or should I retire him myself?

Default your gelding

Hello!! Why dont you test him for lyme disease!! I recently got a gelding that had all these tests done to because he was bucking. Everything was fine, last resort he came up positive for lyme disease. I have had him for a little over a month and have had no problems with him. Just a suggestion

id say you marketed him just fine.hosest and in afew short words we know all about him....good job.all you need is location......

Thanks guys.

He was last tested for Lyme in the fall of 2008- negative titer. He did have a marginal titer back in 2005 but it wasn't at the level at which treamtent was felt necessary. He went on to do well after that for a while.

*Sigh*

Keep the ideas coming. I'll keep you all posted with the latest vet info when he's seen.

Oh, and he's currently in northern VA.

What about chiropractic. Someone I know had a horse with very similar problems and it turned out he had fallen in the paddock playing and had popped a rib out of place.

Yep, gone the chiro route and massage route over the years as well. No improvement.

I would assume with the amount you spent that you did this but...

Did you have a nuclear scan done on him? The one where the insert the dye and you have to wait 24 hours before he can go home?

Also, did they do a neurological test on him?

Yes, I have had two different bone scans performed on him, one in 2005 and one in 2008 with no definitive results.

His neuro exams are also pretty non-contributory. One vet mentioned he had very slight difficulty with placing his front legs while his head was up, and mentioned it could be a very very mild neuro symptom, but still OK'd him to be in a jumping program at the time.

marlisd Guest

Have you considered he could have equine polysaccharide myopathy, or EPSM. It occurs in warmbloods, and can make it seem like the lameness wanders or it is difficult to pinpoint where the problem is. It is a manageable disorder, managed through feeding no carbohydrates.

If he is kind and suitable for a dead beginner he might work out as a 'husband horse' for someone, but otherwise, probably you need to retire him yourself.

The other thing to consider is that just a winter isn't actually all that long of a turnout if there's a strange lameness going on. Give him a year or two and he might be sound again.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

i agree with poltroon, since you are willing to retire him yourself, give him a year or 2 and then revisit placement
    i had a horse who broke her stifle, at the time of the injury the vet said to put her down but i opted for surgery, we had 2 surgeries actually, the ortho vet actually came out of the 2nd surgery in tears because of her dire situation, it took ha injections to get her pasture sound enough without supplements, to make a long story short, after 2 years of being turned out in a small herd she started looking pretty darn sound, she did well enough to be a pretty fun trail horse and could walk trot and canter and when feeling good managed to jump a coup or 2, we could not ride her for all day rides and she would have never made a show horse due being short strided in the injured leg, but by golly that horse was fun to ride for about 10 years, she was the horse i'd lend to really good riders who wanted a blast cross country.

I just sent info on your horse to a lady who contacted me about my horse, but it turns out she is wanting a husband-horse....it would be a great home. I have sent the description and if she wants more info, i will PM you her contact info.

Darcy

I'll second a trial of the EPSM diet. Can't hurt and may help.
    http://s21.photobucket.com/albums/b2...ncer/?start=20

Mares are like neutrons. If there are too many in an area, you approach critical mass. And then there are explosions. Loud ones.

Default Testicle

This is going to sound strange- but I had a horse that behaved similarly, crow hoping, hitchy- would kick out behind. He was a cryptorchid, he had a testicle stuck up in and working caused him a large amount of pain from the testicle being pinched. I THOUGHT (and BOUGHT him as) this horse was a gelding- so my initial reaction to his reactions were- he's sore in the hocks, he's lame, he's back sore, etc. Then the testicle finally dropped and his hitchy, kicking out, "weak" behaviors disappeared. And after a phone call to the vet so did that testicle!!!! This horse really did NOT show stud like behaviors, until that thing dropped. He had always been a typical young horse and never even made me question the "fact" he was a gelding.

Just a suggestion from a bizarre personal experience!

You've already spent $15 K - maybe it's time to spend a few bucks on a horse psychic. Hey, you never know ...

The EPSM is a good thought, and we had considered it. However, he doesn't show any of the "classic" signs (which I know doesn't completely rule it out)... He has always been on grass hay and no oats, and has had oil supplementation.

I will ask this vet seeing him today what they think about it though, after doing another exam.

ny_asb- that is just bizarre!! Wow! How old was your gelding when the testicle finally dropped?

Darcy- thank you!!

Well, the vet saw him- noticed everything previous vets had, but had a couple of new observations.

Actually, this vet wants us to do the one thing we never have- put him into harder work. With some manipulation, the vet got him sound (no, not blocking) and moving very well under saddle while he was there... evidence that perhaps the horse needs more under saddle time to work out of the issues, rather than less.

Won't go into a lengthy description of the findings here, as they truly are lengthy, but if anyone is particularly curious you can PM me.

We are going to send him to the vet's facility after a few weeks of full training- we have a couple of tricks up our sleeve to try, and this is the last try.

So, he may still be a giveaway if this plan doesn't work.

Default Testicle

It was bizarre and a first for me!! He was a 5 year old. Too old for testicles to be "dropping from the sky!!" LOL

Good luck with your boy!!

Furbabylover Guest

I do hope that this works out for you..but by all means please do consider Espm. You can also email Joanie Benson at hps@horseprotection.org has some great info about it and will answer your email right away. She may also be able to give you a lot of advice on some other ideas, as they have delt with so many cases. They have helped me so much over the years with many many questions and things to do to help my furbabies.
    sending prayers for you and your boy.
    Last edited by Furbabylover; May. 9, 2009 at 02:34 PM. Reason: .

Good Luck - you have come along way not to try!! Please post an update - I am very interested to know how this approach works. Could you PM me details?

Thanks
    Darcy
    Last edited by DarcyW; May. 10, 2009 at 10:35 PM. Reason: adding to message