The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default How much notice to you give when you leave a barn?

Just curious. Do you normally give two weeks, 30 days, a few days? I'm looking around at potential new barns for my horse and am curious what is standard when you leave a place, as I haven't moved around much. There are already other open stalls at the barn I'm at now, if that makes a difference.

What does your boarding contract say? I think 30 days is generally acceptable -- unless your contract says otherwise.
    If you cannot set a good example, at least serve as a terrible warning....

At least 30 days or whatever is in the contract.
    "If you can't feed 'em, don't breed 'em."

If your contract does not cover it I would go with 30 days notice. It is the generally accepted amount of time.

Most places where I have kept my horses have required boarders to sign an agreement, which usually stipulates how much notice either party can give the other (in my experience, 30 days).

If your current barn already has open stalls, I am sure the BO would appreciate the thirty day notice so they can plan accordingly.
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

That's what I thought. I don't think my agreement states anything, but 30 days sounds proper.

I would say in general, it's 30 days. But I gave notice that I would be leaving my current barn and there is NOTHING in my contract about giving 30 days notice. Gave notice on Mon. 4/27. I'm leaving on Fri. 5/8. So almost 2 weeks. Board was already paid for April.

I got my May bill yesterday and they are only charging me for the 8 days I'm there in May.

*shrug*

I guess based on your contract? Usually thirty days. I have moved a bit-very large distances. So when I am moving and starting to make arrangements for the move-I usually let the BO know-ends up being 2-3 months in advance. The BO appreciates it too. However if you are just moving short distances and not under the greatest of circumstances-yeah your contract stipulation would suffice.

Quote Originally Posted by theoldgreymare View Post
    If your current barn already has open stalls, I am sure the BO would appreciate the thirty day notice so they can plan accordingly.

I agree with the 30 day notice, although it can be any amount of time you two agree on. Here's where I differ, though, if your barn has plenty of vacancies it's not like it's going to effect the BO more than if they are full. My thinking is that if they are full and you split, they might've turned someone away thinking they had no room, whereas if they are fairly empty anyone could've come in at any time. Right? (I dunno I've heard other folks say it "your way" and I never understand, lol)

The answer you're going to get is: whatever it says in your boarding contract.

Otherwise, 30 days is standard.

Well, I don't think my contract stipulates, but I don't want to be rude to them when I leave because they haven't done anything wrong. I just found another place I like better and am thinking of moving.

I'm thinking maybe I just go to the end of the month (almost 30 days) and give notice now. Hmmm… they're super-nice people and take great care of my horse, so I just want to do right by them, but of course I'm looking forward to the place I like better, amenities -wise.

Boarding contract or 30 days. Even if my horse is leaving early (say mid-month) I always offer to pay for the full month. In many places a stall is hard to fill in two weeks, and the barn has to cover its costs for the month. I'm always very careful to try and not burn bridges -- you never know what may happen down the road.
    Gentleman J - "Junior" - My been-there, done-that jumper

Send Your Love - "Serena" - Aug 10th 2009, Rest in Peace

Quote Originally Posted by veebug22 View Post
    I'm always very careful to try and not burn bridges -- you never know what may happen down the road.
    Exactly. You never know if you're going to get to the new place and there's drama you couldn't see while touring the place, and you want to high tail it back to the old barn! He he, and like I said, the current barn is owned by great people, so I also want to treat them right, like they've treated me and my horse right.

I know that they kicked out a boarder (she yelled at the stall cleaner, and that was it, out) and they gave her 30 days to leave. It seems proper both directions.

Thanks for the responses!

Quote Originally Posted by Dune View Post
    I agree with the 30 day notice, although it can be any amount of time you two agree on. Here's where I differ, though, if your barn has plenty of vacancies it's not like it's going to effect the BO more than if they are full. My thinking is that if they are full and you split, they might've turned someone away thinking they had no room, whereas if they are fairly empty anyone could've come in at any time. Right? (I dunno I've heard other folks say it "your way" and I never understand, lol)
    Because most boarding facilites do not make money on board and losing another client might just mean that this place can not pay the liability insurance or some other operating expense that is over and above the monthly feed, hay and bedding bill.
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

I just left a barn to move to a new one and in the boarding contract it said two weeks notice. I gave her two weeks notice but ended up leaving that same day. I did however pay her board for the two weeks even though I wasn't going to be there. Once you give notice and have your board paid until that date you can leave whenever.

I gave 6 weeks notice but wish that I hadn't....too much time. There was no boarding contract but I wanted to give them plenty of notice. We are buying a farm with 5 acres and will have our horses at home although we would still like to ship in for lessons and show with this trainer. Still and all, things have gotten very cool between us and they are not at all happy with losing two stalls. Oh well, what can you do??

30 days written
    View my photographs at www.horsephotoguy.zenfolio.com

Quote Originally Posted by LSM1212 View Post

I got my May bill yesterday and they are only charging me for the 8 days I'm there in May.

*shrug*
    Which, IMO, is how it should be. BO got paid for exactly what they provided, boarder paid for exactly what she got.

Part of the boarding contract at my current barn states that boarders must give 30 day notice prior to leaving, otherwise they will still be required to pay the full month's board.

I think it's only fair to give barn owners a heads-up that you will be leaving.
    Please copy and paste this to your signature if you know someone, or have been affected by someone who needs a smack upside the head. Lets raise awareness.