The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Craig Cameron’s Extreme Cowboy Race™

I know this is mainly an english board, but Loch Moy, which typically hosts events, is hosting a Cowboy Race in June. It is suppossed to be a lot of fun, so if it isn't something you'd like to compete in then come and watch, it doesn't cost anything to be a spectator! Follow the links below to learn more information:

http://www.lochmoyfarm.net/index.php...id=3:newsflash

http://www.extremecowboyassociation.com/

I hope to see some COTH people there!

I think it would be cool!

I'd heard from someone who judged one previously that sometimes you have to wonder what made these people think their horses could do that? And I had previously assumed that 'they' in general had exposed their horses to more than most English folks do.

Thanks for the post. I'll check out Mapquest and see how far it is.

My friend and I spend a short hour watching the one at the Denver, Colo Horse Expo in March, this year. I had no idea what to expect, but it turned out to be a sort of agility/obstacle race for working ranch-type horses. We decided it was fairly legit as a test of a good broke horse (and needed a good rider), and was fun for the Horse Expo crowd. Worth watching in my opinion, if organizers can garner some good entrants - the ones we watched were pretty good.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

For those of you that might have been interested in competing but couldn't afford to or didn't want to ride in western tack, there has been a change of plans.

The lowest division Beginner Novice has changed to $75 and you CAN use your english tack. Also there is a 50$ clinic with Joyce Lewis on June 5th from 9-5. Joyce is a veteran competitor of this type of show. I'd be clinicing/showing myself except Rubicon happens to be the same weekend.

I will be there volunteering on the 5th, so if anybody decides to compete or come watch, let me know and we can meet up!

I'm actually looking forward to this and disappointed that it's the same weekend as Rubicon. I've done research and it's supposed to be all about good horsemanship. I can't wait to at least watch the clinic.!

Here's a video of one of the finalists when it was here in AZ in 2007.

One of my eventing buddies did it on her big TB.

It was... interesting.

Not exactly unbiased judging, but fun to watch.

The 2 guys who finished 1-2 were really impressive.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=MJlzVpDEhwo
    Approved helmet: Every time; every ride.
    "When a sport gets to be predictable it ceases to be fun." - RAR's wise brother

Quote Originally Posted by Risk-Averse Rider View Post
    Wow! That trailer-jump at 2:47 sure was EXTREME! At first it looked like the rider was going to flip right over onto her head.

Quote Originally Posted by Sithly View Post
    Wow! That trailer-jump at 2:47 sure was EXTREME! At first it looked like the rider was going to flip right over onto her head.
    Man, that's one way to load a horse in a trailer!!
    One cannot think well, love well, sleep well, if one has not dined well. - Virginia Woolf

She was desperate for "style" points, because she had missed an obstacle on the back side of the course - just flew right past it.

Despite that, she ended up 5th - with a buckle & (I think) prize money) - ahead of some people who had done all the obstacles.

Like I said, not exactly un-biased judging (as Craig Cameron was narrating, we would frequently hear things like, "Well, the judges are really going to like that" - subtle? Not.)

Hometown: San Antonio, TX ; Current Location: Amarillo, TX

Quote Originally Posted by Risk-Averse Rider View Post
    She was desperate for "style" points, because she had missed an obstacle on the back side of the course - just flew right past it.

Despite that, she ended up 5th - with a buckle & (I think) prize money) - ahead of some people who had done all the obstacles.

Like I said, not exactly un-biased judging (as Craig Cameron was narrating, we would frequently hear things like, "Well, the judges are really going to like that" - subtle? Not.)
    It is very typical that they (Craig in particular) would place a pretty girl wether or not she performed well. He always has favored the pretty ones . After watching that video, I am suprised that lady is a "horse trainer", I went to her website... SCARY!
    RIP Kid Gloves (Holly) 1992 TBxHanv CCI*** mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/holly
    New mare: Miss Bunny Express (Missy) 1995 AQHA Jumper mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/missy

Quote Originally Posted by tx3dayeventer View Post
    It is very typical that they (Craig in particular) would place a pretty girl wether or not she performed well. He always has favored the pretty ones . After watching that video, I am suprised that lady is a "horse trainer", I went to her website... SCARY!
    Everyone has a right to their opinion.... I think she's a heck of a rider...I just spent the last 30 min on Youtube watching some of her techniques. I'd love to have her work with me for an afternoon!!
    http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oc4IMcfUyzQ

Now to go outside and spend the next hour trying to swing up on my horse....let you know how many bruises I end up with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHpK9F1SCuA
    "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

I dunno I watched this at Equine Affaire in Ohio and didn't like it. Although I'm really not into the whole "cowboying" of horses. There is no style or connection with the horse it seems. Sure the horse may be broke, but what is it showing me if you are galloping like crazy around obstacles on horses that obviously need more work.

(That and the fact that it was about 45 degrees out and all of the "cowboys" had their unclipped horses standing out in the horrible wind completely soaking wet... and going completely insane.)

And please don't tell me that the woman shown in the one video is a "great horsewoman"... spurring the crap and yanking the face off of a horse that is being broke is NOT good horsemanship... and I am pretty liberal about what I think is acceptable!

The races are frequently shown on RFD-TV. Check their program schedule for times.
    “There are two ways to conquer and enslave a nation. One is by the sword. The other is by debt.”
    John Adams

Quote Originally Posted by birdsong View Post
    Now to go outside and spend the next hour trying to swing up on my horse....let you know how many bruises I end up with http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=NHpK9F1SCuA
    Ah, to be young again...

But who am I trying to fool? I couldn't do that even when I was young!

Hometown: San Antonio, TX ; Current Location: Amarillo, TX

Quote Originally Posted by SEFBH87 View Post
    I dunno I watched this at Equine Affaire in Ohio and didn't like it. Although I'm really not into the whole "cowboying" of horses. There is no style or connection with the horse it seems. Sure the horse may be broke, but what is it showing me if you are galloping like crazy around obstacles on horses that obviously need more work.

(That and the fact that it was about 45 degrees out and all of the "cowboys" had their unclipped horses standing out in the horrible wind completely soaking wet... and going completely insane.)

And please don't tell me that the woman shown in the one video is a "great horsewoman"... spurring the crap and yanking the face off of a horse that is being broke is NOT good horsemanship... and I am pretty liberal about what I think is acceptable!

What they are doing now is SUCH a FAR cry from what the Cowboy Race was developed to be. My SO was Craig's Assistant Trainer for a little over 2 years. I was at the first few EVER held at Craig's place in Bluff Dale. The competitors were all "working" cowboys and trainers with a few celebs thrown in. Ty Murray, a few working cowboys from the big ranches (6666's, Pitchfork, Twin V, etc.), and one or two others. There was a totally different feel to how the horses were handled.

As with most things.... it is a great thing until it is taken to the masses and then it loses what it set out to do, to showcase the working ranch horse who was used sunup to sundown encountering most of the problems in their daily ranch work.
    RIP Kid Gloves (Holly) 1992 TBxHanv CCI*** mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/holly
    New mare: Miss Bunny Express (Missy) 1995 AQHA Jumper mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/missy

I just competed in one of these locally. I have to say that it was not a bunch of people running around yanking their horses mouths off and spurring like crazy. We were marked on horsemanship and the person who won was riding in a rope halter and a leadshank.No whips are allowed. Yes-time was important, but having a horse come off a run and being able to settle immediately to do something got points as well. I rode in an english all purpose saddle and an eggbutt snaffle bridle. It was great fun! There are yahoos in every sport, but there are also true horsepeople and those are the ones that make it worthwhile to watch for.

Quote Originally Posted by tx3dayeventer View Post
    What they are doing now is SUCH a FAR cry from what the Cowboy Race was developed to be. My SO was Craig's Assistant Trainer for a little over 2 years. I was at the first few EVER held at Craig's place in Bluff Dale. The competitors were all "working" cowboys and trainers with a few celebs thrown in. Ty Murray, a few working cowboys from the big ranches (6666's, Pitchfork, Twin V, etc.), and one or two others. There was a totally different feel to how the horses were handled.

As with most things.... it is a great thing until it is taken to the masses and then it loses what it set out to do, to showcase the working ranch horse who was used sunup to sundown encountering most of the problems in their daily ranch work.

I can totally see this. To me a there is probably no better broke horse than a ranch horse. However, what I saw at Equine Affaire and that video of that "horsewoman" were horses that were not properly broke, but rather worked hard until they were too tired to resist the crap that was being thrown at them. Also, cantering and galloping around unbalanced swapping leads and having to have their face yanked off to pull up is not broke. A horse like that would not last long actually working.

What year did you watch the ECR at the Equine Affaire in Ohio?

Not everyone who does these events handles their horses roughly.

Go to youtube, click on channels, then do a search on jennifertalcott. You'll see videos of my rounds at the Equine Affaire in 2007. I came in 5th out of 35 participants.

The ECR is no different than any other type of equine discipline or event. You'll see the full spectrum of participants.

Oh, and in 2007, it was cold, windy, and rainy...and my CLIPPED horse wore his fleece sheet to keep him from getting chilled.

P.S. If you watch the youtube videos, there's one that's an application for 2008...the sound has been stripped from it due to the fact that I used music in the background, and it was a copyright violation. Unfortunately, when the music was stripped, my commentary was also stripped.
    Jennifer Thomas Alcott
    Woodville, Virginia
    http://www.theshingleshanty.com

Our hope for this one at Loch Moy is to be all about horsemanship. That is one of the reasons for the clinic before the the actual competition - not only to teach the rules but to teach horsemanship and safety instead of rough riding. If my horse wasn't competing at Rubicon the same weekend then I would compete in the lowest division. I think it sounds like a lot of fun.

The guy who was 2nd in the race where that Wylene Wilson video was taken was riding a young (3? 4?) horse who had never been off the ranch before. That horse was AWESOME. Many of us thought he should have won, but the guy who did win (also good) had apparently been to a number of these, because Craig Cameron clearly knew him.

So it wasn't all yahooing and grandstanding.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer Alcott View Post
    What year did you watch the ECR at the Equine Affaire in Ohio?

Not everyone who does these events handles their horses roughly.

Go to youtube, click on channels, then do a search on jennifertalcott. You'll see videos of my rounds at the Equine Affaire in 2007. I came in 5th out of 35 participants.
    That course (awesome ride, by the way ) looks to have been much slower and controlled than the one I saw here in Arizona. I expect a big part of the difference was the indoor vs. outdoor venue, but I think they expected a lot more speed. And the water obstacle was DEEP - I think someone took a backhoe and dug out a deep trench, then they lined it with black plastic.

I think your ride showed a lot more thoughtfulness & horsemanship than the race i saw.