The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Attention Dog Food Gurus!! How about Orijen??

I had to feed my last guy Prescription Diet W/D and felt guilty about it his entire life but was afraid to switch him and I vowed I would feed my next one a good food.

Have a new 2yo rescue Dobe and have started feeding him this:

http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/products/6FISHAnalysis.aspx

So he has been on it for about a week and came with a weeks worth of mystery food that I mixed with first. Stinky breath and softserve poop but looks great other than that....will give him some time to adjust.

Anyone feed it? Opinions please.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

I've always heard good things about that food.....

Important Information:
    Instead of grain, ORIJEN contains a full complement of regional fruits and vegetables (minimum 30%) that supply important natural antioxidants and phytochemicals.

Chicken, flax, sunflower, salmon and anchovy oils provide the essential fatty acids that dogs cannot produce themselves (including DHA and EPA) and are so important to nutritionally support the development of cell membranes, immune systems and a vibrant skin and hair coat.

Bridging the gap between good nutrition and total physical well-being, ORIJEN Adult contains native botanicals that include marshmallow, burdock and chicory root, stinging nettle and milk thistle,- all of which replicate the natural canine diet and help to soothe, nourish and tone the digestive tract, strengthen the liver and control insulin levels.

Check our ingredients and we think you'll agree: Biologically Appropriate ORIJEN is a natural and delicious way to ensure the health and vitality of your Adult dog - no matter what his breed, age or size.

Ingredients:
    FRESH REGIONAL INGREDIENTS:
    Deboned chicken, chicken meal, turkey meal, russet potato, lake whitefish, chicken fat, sweet potato, whole eggs, turkey, salmon meal, salmon and anchovy oils, salmon, natural chicken flavour, sunflower oil, sun-cured alfalfa, dried brown kelp, carrots, spinach, peas, tomatoes, apples, psyllium, dulse, glucosamine Hcl, cranberries, black currants, rosemary extract, chondroitin sulfate, sea salt.

TONIC HERBS AND BOTANICALS:
    Chicory root, licorice root, tumeric root, funugreek, marigold flowers, sweet fennel, zea mays, peppermint leaf, chamomile flowers, dandelion, summer savory, rosehips.

ORGANIC MINERALS:
    Iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate.

PROBIOTIC MICROORGANISMS:
    Dried Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, dried Enterococcus faecium fermentation product.

PREMIUM VITAMINS:
    Mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E), choline chloride, vitamin A, vitamin D3, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin B12, folic acid, biotin.

Guaranteed Analysis %:
    Protein 42
    Carbohydrate 18
    Fat 16
    Moisture 10
    Fiber 3
    Omega-6 2
    Calcium (min.) 1.6
    Phosphorus (min.) 1.2
    Omega-3 0.7

Biologically Appropriate for All Breeds:
    ORIJEN ADULT is formulated with a biologically correct ingredient ratio (70/30/0) of 70% meat, 30% fruit and vegetables (and 0% grain) - all low temperature cooked at 90c/195F to retain their natural nutrients.

With 7 sources of veterinary inspected meats from Canada's prairie farms, northern lakes and pacific seas, Orijen Adult Formula Dry Dog Food is nutritionally diverse and biologically complete with amino and fatty acids balanced to optimally nourish your dog. Made without grain, and with very

little carbohydrate, Orijen Adult Formula Dry Dog Food is easily metabolized by all dogs. Read our ingredients and we think you'll agree - Biologically Appropriate ORIJEN is the truly natural way to optimally nourish your adult dog.

Extra Information:
    The relatively short gastrointestinal system of dogs lacks the enzymes needed to efficiently digest carbohydrates and is instead evolved to metabolize a diet high in protein and fat. High protein and low carbohydrate, the nutritional analysis of ORIJEN ADULT replicates the diet Mother Nature originally intended for adult dogs.

With total calories moderated to match the lifestyle of today's adult dog, Orijen's Adult Formula Dry Dog Food high protein and reduced carbohydrate formula naturally controls body weight by providing calories in a biologically appropriate form (fewer calories from carbohydrate, more calories from protein).

Organic calcium and phosphorus are naturally balanced and supplemented with 100% ocean-source glucosamine and chondroitin to nutritionally support long-term bone and joint health.

A rich supply of omega 3 and 6 essential fatty acids from fresh fish, sunflower and flax nutritionally supports peak health and a healthy skin and hair coat.

Bridging the gap between good nutrition and total physical well-being, ORIJEN's botanical selection replicates the natural canine diet to soothe, nourish and tone the digestive tract, strengthen the liver and control insulin levels.

Other guaranteed analysis in Orijen Adult Formula Dry Dog Food:
    Glucosamine 500 mg/kg
    Chondroitin 150 mg/kg
    Microorganisms 80M cfu/kg
    pH 5.0

Quote Originally Posted by sisu27 View Post
    I had to feed my last guy Prescription Diet W/D and felt guilty about it his entire life but was afraid to switch him and I vowed I would feed my next one a good food.

Have a new 2yo rescue Dobe and have started feeding him this:

http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/products/6FISHAnalysis.aspx

So he has been on it for about a week and came with a weeks worth of mystery food that I mixed with first. Stinky breath and softserve poop but looks great other than that....will give him some time to adjust.

Anyone feed it? Opinions please.
    With the poo, try cutting back how much he's getting by a tiny bit and see how he does. (Sometimes with the 'better' foods they can be richer and they might be getting a little too much.)

Or what I did when I put mine onto EVO (grain free) and they got squishy poo was buy a bag of another good brand that had more vegetable content (Solid Gold Barking at the Moon, uses potato for fiber) and mix them about 50/50 - the EVO kept them eating it (they didn't like the BatM plain) and the BatM gave them enough fiber to solve the poo problem. By the time we ran out of the BatM (we got large bags of both) they switch to the EVO just fine, no poo problems.

I suppose the other thing you could try if you don't want to buy another bag of dog food is supplement his diet with a bit of live-culture yogurt and maybe some pumpkin. (It smells gross, but mine LOVE plain yogurt mixed with canned pumpkin.) Even just a tablespoon of the yogurt a day seems to help get their digestive system going, and a big container of plain live-culture yogurt is normally pretty cheap.

Everything I've read about Orijen has been good. www.dogfoodanalysis.com rates it a 6 star premium food, which is excellent!! I would give it a try!

He has been getting the max rec amount for an active dog as he was a bit skinny when I picked him up. He was wormed with Panacure and has since put on about 5 lbs or more in about a week and a half so I have cut him back to about 3 cups a day now.

I was planning on adding fish oil capsules to his diet for heart health but I am wondering if the food already contains enough Omega 3/6??? How much is too much??

I am a bit confused as to how it is grain free when it contains "zea mays"....sweet corn??? I don't love that that is sort of misleading and deceptive.
    "look deep into his pedigree. Look for the name of a one-of-a-kind horse who lends to his kin a fierce tenacity, a will of iron, a look of eagles. Look & know that Slew is still very much with us."

I have been feeding Orijen to my now 4 year old Lab for 2 years. He gets about 3 to 4 cups a day, divided in 2 meals and each meal divided in 2 servings. Being a lab, he inhales the food so we are trying to prevent bloating by giving smaller portions at a time. Besides, he has now learned to count !

I switched to Orijen because for almost a year, my dog had diarrhea (not great to pick up on walks either!). Vet suggested trying a food w/o grain or cereals. It worked! almost overnight, no more runny poops. He is doing very well on the food and does not need as many cups.

It is pricey, but you don't need to feed as much... it lasts me about 5 weeks and costs me $82.48 Cdn per bag (I know I just got one yesterday!).

ETA: I feed the Fish Orijen. http://www.orijen.ca/orijen/products/ORIJEN6fish.aspx

Quote Originally Posted by sisu27 View Post

I was planning on adding fish oil capsules to his diet for heart health but I am wondering if the food already contains enough Omega 3/6??? How much is too much??
    It's not good to go overboard on any one thing, and if you're feeding the 6 Fish blend, I wouldn't add any more fish oil than that unless the dog has a specific problem, but it doesn't sound like your dog does.

I am a bit confused as to how it is grain free when it contains "zea mays"....sweet corn??? I don't love that that is sort of misleading and deceptive.
    The 6 Fish variety has this for ingredients:
    6 Fish Ingredients:
    Fresh salmon (includes chinook. coho and sockeye species), salmon meal, russet potato, herring meal, fresh lake whitefish, sweet potato, fresh lake trout, fresh Northern walleye, freshwater cod, fresh herring, sunflower oil, salmon oil (preserved with mixed tocopherals, a natural source of vitamin E), sun-cured alfalfa, dried sea vegetables (brown kelp, Irish moss, dulse and bladder wrack), leeks, psyllium, crab shell, rosemary, lecithin, apples, black currants.

TONIC HERBS AND BOTANICALS
    Chicory root (FOS), licorice root, fennel seed, zea mays, peppermint leaf, marigold flowers, chamomile flowers, dandelion, summer savory, rosemary, rosehips.

ORGANIC MINERALS
    Iron proteinate, zinc proteinate, manganese proteinate, copper proteinate.

PROBIOTIC MICROORGANISMS
    Lactobacillus acidophilus fermentation product, Enterococcus faecium fermentation product..

PREMIUM VITAMINS
    Mixed tocopherols (source of vitamin E), choline chloride, vitamin A, vitamin D3, niacin, riboflavin, thiamine mononitrate, vitamin B12, folic acid, biotin, pyridoxine (source of vitamin B6).
    A little digging brought up the info that the corn kernels are not used in the food - but that part of the silk is. Zea mays is listed under the "herbs" portion of the ingredient list.

This is direct from the Orijen food site
    Q: WHAT IS ZEA MAYS and WHY IS IT IN ORIJEN?
    A: The Zea Mays in ORIJEN is CORN SILK which is actually classified as an herb or botanical – not a grain. Corn Silk is NOT made from grain but rather from filaments from the flowers of female corn plant. This costly botanical features Maizenic Acid as an active ingredient and is formulated in ORIJEN diets at 300mg/kg. As corn silk does not contain corn starch or corn protein it poses absolutely no risk to dogs that may have corn allergies.
    Corn silk is used to treat urinary tract infections and kidney stones and is regarded as a soothing diuretic useful for any irritation of the urinary system (a common health problem in today’s companion dogs and cats). As corn silk is used as a kidney remedy and in the regulation of fluids, this herb is believed to be helpful in treating high blood pressure and water retention.
    As a well known herbal remedy, corn silk is used to treat urinary conditions in countries including the United Sates, China, Haiti, Turkey, and Trinidad. Furthermore, in China, corn silk as a component in an herbal formula is used to treat diabetes.

Ah ha! Thanks A2 for digging that up re: sweet corn. I feel better now.

No he doesn't have a problem now that I know of but I am hoping he will not be my fourth in a row to die from heart disease. I think genetics dictate that as much as diet but I am sure a heart healthy diet might help when/if they get sick.

FalseImpression, the 6Fish is actually less expensive than that awful PD my last poor boy had to eat. I have already been sourcing some ways to get discounts and free bags too. Where do you buy your food? Have you tried the Brake-Fast bowl for your Lab? It helps. I fear bloat as well and am thinking about finding a vet that will do an elective pexy (?). I think they should find the least invasive way to do that and offer it to anyone. Would save lives, I'm sure of it. Would have saved two of my Dobes. Anyways, OT again I go...thanks all.

My pit bull is a terrible food hog and the weimaraner is prone to bloat due to body shape, so the anti-bloat bowls are essential. We made it through one bloat and I NEVVVVER want to go through that again. She wasn't even bolting her food, but apparently it was still too fast.

But here's a tip - - I figured out how to make homemade ones for FREE instead of paying 20 bucks for the brand name bowls.

Just place a smaller bowl - upside down so it doesn't hold food - inside the larger food bowl. I just use glass condiment bowls. So you have one bowl sitting inside another. Dump the food on top of the upside down inner bowl, and it falls down and fills the crack between the two bowls. They have to use their tongue to lick out the nuggets and it takes 3x as long to eat. It's free and it's very effective.

Great tip with the bowl trick!

When my last guy bloated it was the food itself and nothing he or I had done. PD R/D and 20 minutes later a Dobe that looked like he had a medicine ball in his gut. Terrifying! He made it through surgery but I agree....not something any dog owner wants to experience.

Thanks!

I've switched my standard poodle to Orijen a couple of months ago. The plusses: she doesn't lick her paws anymore, she eats very little manure (and she used to eat a lot! pooh breath!) and she's keeping her weight. On the other food (rated 5 stars) she used to do those things AND she had trouble keeping her weight. I had upped her quantity to feed an 85 lb dog, she's 45lbs! Now she gets just the recommended quantity of the Orijen and she does beautifully. She did go through a phase early in the switch where she had just too much energy, but I guess her system has adjusted to the new food now as she's back to normal...
    I'll stick to Orijen.

Default two paws up

Love it. Been feeding it to my dog for about a year now and he loves it. He's not a big eater but with this food, he has a very good appetite and will finish his servings completely.
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."