The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Irregular roan patch

Anyone else have a horse with a marking like this? What is it? Is it hereditary?

http://s51.photobucket.com/albums/f3...t=IMG_2099.jpg

When she was first born, it was a darkish spot on her coat. As she grew, it became lighter. Usually, it's not so apparent in the summer, but this year I'm still waiting for it to shed out. She will be 2 years old this month.

It will be mostly covered by the saddle when ridden based on where it is. But... I wonder... do you think this would affect asking price of a horse? or would it not be an issue if the horse is well-suited for its discipline?

Caleb had a roan patch like this, and a bunch of bend or spots.

http://www.geocities.com/apachepony8/Caleb/caleb13.jpg
    http://www.geocities.com/apachepony8/Caleb/caleb16.jpg

I've heard it's some sort of expression of sabino, but who knows?

Personally, I thought it was neat. If someone was vain enough to not want a horse because of their white marking, then I don't think i'd want to sell them the horse anyway.

my horse (a branded Westfalen by a G line Hanoverian out of a Trakhner/Hanoverian mare) has two. His biggest one is on the left side of his face (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...1&id=201301603)
    His second one is about the size of a quarter and you can see it in this picture (http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...1&id=201301603). Even when he's clipped, the roan patches don't go away.

I have no idea what causes it, but I have a solid bay mare with a small patch like that on her neck. It never changes color or size & is there year round. Her only other "color" is a dime size white spot on her heel. She's had 2 fillies by totally solid bay stallions. One is chestnut with a star, snip & a white spot on a front. The other is a bay with a large star & short, irregualr hind. Pics attached. First 2 are the 2007 filly, third is her 06 filly, last 2 are her.

I don't think it will affect your filly's asking price since you really won't see it under tack. Or rather, it should not affect her price.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	cab 16 mos.JPG 
Views:	79 
Size:	111.7 KB 
ID:	24934   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC05369.JPG 
Views:	69 
Size:	74.6 KB 
ID:	24935   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC02603.JPG 
Views:	72 
Size:	98.1 KB 
ID:	24936   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	DSC00464.JPG 
Views:	83 
Size:	98.8 KB 
ID:	24937   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	CK filly 61007 004.jpg 
Views:	63 
Size:	118.4 KB 
ID:	24938  

Another person here who doesn't know what it is but knows a horse with it. One of my trainer's mares is a solid chestnut, with a roan patch on one of her hocks. It actually covers a fairly large area, but it's not a very dense roaning - pretty sparse so doesn't look like a concentrated white spot. It seems to be getting a little more apparent as she ages, but minimally.

And no, I don't think that should affect the value of your horse in any way.

My stallion also has roaning around his left eye. Picture

It's really kind of neat.
    Equine Web Design http://www.tbconnect.net | Kingsgate Stud home of Legal Jousting (IRE)

Most likely a somatic mutation.

My chestnut QH has one on his neck! He also has tons of bend or spots. He has a star, stripe, snip and 2 hind socks. Tons of people ask me if he is a paint because of it but since there is not white hair under it he's not.

My mare has a lightly roaned belly spot that is more visible in the summer or when she's clipped, and her filly has a defined roan spot on the back of one hock.

Name:	tararoanspot.jpg 
Views:	59 
Size:	36.5 KB 
ID:	25013   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	livspot.jpg 
Views:	57 
Size:	87.2 KB 
ID:	25014  

We have a lot of these patches/spots/markings on the farm through a particular combination of bloodlines. I'll have to shoot some new photos but one mare has a series of vertical roan stripes on her flanks, a gelding (who is chestnut) has a liver chestnut front leg and multiple roan patches & Ben D'Or spots all over the place, a couple of the youngsters have Birdcatcher spot (one has them in both armpits!) and then there is the smattering of random roan spots and Ben D'Or splotches.

Most of them are out of our South American Way (http://www.sporthorse-data.com/d?z=6...h+american+way) x Abundance (http://www.sporthorse-data.com/d?i=334423) daughters FWIW.

It has gotten more prominent as she has gotten older. I don't think I've ever seen anything like this before on a warmblood. It could be that I didn't notice it as some of them are not in such prominent places. But it's interesting nonetheless. She also has the "silver" tail, or flaxen in her tail, and I've wondered if that's related to the roan spot. And I've recently noticed a patch of roaning on one of her back pasterns.

Thank you for those of you who provided pictures. Nice horses, by the way. And for providing bloodlines as well, because I was wondering if this type of this thing runs in certain lines. My filly is by Escapade out of a Prinz Gaylord mare. And the PG mare's mother was a TB by Bunny Dancer out of a Khalea mare. She is a gray, so I wondered if it had anything to do with the gray gene, although I wouldn't think so because gray is expressed all over, not just in one spot.

Here you go - 2 of the 2007/2008's have funky spots...

The first 2 on the left are the 'normal' ticking that lots of the horses bred here seem to have. His are limited to just his barrel.

The 2 on the right are not(!) camera glare but Puck's large 'clump' of roan hairs...Please excuse his hirsute belly. It is always the last one on the farm to shed - very odd but part of what makes Puck Puck!

Name:	IMG_9258.jpg 
Views:	51 
Size:	13.9 KB 
ID:	25299   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9259.jpg 
Views:	46 
Size:	15.2 KB 
ID:	25300   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9263.jpg 
Views:	52 
Size:	14.2 KB 
ID:	25301   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9264.jpg 
Views:	48 
Size:	16.3 KB 
ID:	25302  

Interesting. My yearling Escapade filly has a noticable black spot on her rump. She also has a few white hairs in her tail..

You can see the spot here, but it's bad lighting because of the Shadow.

http://www.facebook.com/photo.php?pi...e&id=666892076

This guy is chestnut but his LF is liver (gets darker each year) and the roan patch is getting bigger and more noticeable as well.

The roan patch on the right side of his neck is also getting more white hairs and there are about 10 other quarter sized rectangles on his barrel, neck & croup.

Name:	IMG_9518.jpg 
Views:	33 
Size:	20.6 KB 
ID:	25361   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9520.jpg 
Size:	20.4 KB 
ID:	25362   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9524.jpg 
Views:	34 
Size:	24.3 KB 
ID:	25363  

Another chestnut mare with the roan in stripes on her right flank while it is 'regular' distribution of roan hairs on her left flank. The right side of her face is getting more and more white hairs each year...

Name:	IMG_9529.jpg 
Size:	14.6 KB 
ID:	25364   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9530.jpg 
Size:	13.3 KB 
ID:	25365   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_9533.jpg 
Size:	14.7 KB 
ID:	25366  

This is her son (5 years). He has a blaze and then these two interesting 'spots' on the front of his legs...

Name:	IMG_9525.jpg 
Views:	32 
Size:	14.0 KB 
ID:	25367  

And because I don't want you guys to think we only have chestnuts , here is a grey with every increasing spots that have gone from being a hand width across to this...

She is 5 and 17.1 FWIW...

Name:	IMG_9516.jpg 
Views:	40 
Size:	24.0 KB 
ID:	25368