The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

View Poll Results: Please answer the following questions about pre-sales xrays that apply to you:

Voters
50. You may not vote on this poll
  • Buyers: I bought a horse that had been pre-xrayed.

9 18.00%
  • Buyers: I think more sellers should offer pre-sales xrays.

17 34.00%
  • Buyers: Doesn't matter if the horse has them or not.

25 50.00%
  • Sellers: I've sold horses that had been pre-xrayed.

6 12.00%
  • Sellers: Waste of my money; horse didn't move faster.

1 2.00%
  • Sellers: I don't offer pre-xrays and my horses sell quickly enough.

3 6.00%
Multiple Choice Poll.
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Buyers and sellers: Importance of pre-sales xrays? (Sp.O.)

Please vote! I posted a note in several other forums to try to attract other disciplines, so please state your discipline if at all possible!

Spin off from the post about how long it takes to find a good horse that got me wondering:

1) Buyers - How important is it to you that a horse for sale has been pre-vetted and has xrays available?

2) Sellers - How many of you are doing pre-sales xrays? Does it help you sell the horse faster?
    Last edited by Fantastic; Jun. 7, 2009 at 04:37 PM. Reason: added sub-header

I prefer to pay to have my own set of xrays made, preferably by my own vet or videotaped with identifying marks on the video, to avoid doubts about which horse the xrays are from or when.

Default Please vote!

Hi slc2! I appreciate your response! Could you please vote? I think the 3rd "Buyers" option - it doesn't matter would apply to your? Thanks!

Exclamation

I would prefer having my own radiographs done, and interpreted by someone of my choice.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

You see ads that state xrays are available. I've always wondered what people thought about that . . . .

I prefer to have my own vet do my own set of x rays just so you know for sure they are up to date and for the right horse..

You just can't trust some people

Quote Originally Posted by Fantastic View Post
    Please vote! I posted a note in several other forums to try to attract other disciplines, so please state your discipline if at all possible!

Spin off from the post about how long it takes to find a good horse that got me wondering:

1) Buyers - How important is it to you that a horse for sale has been pre-vetted and has xrays available?

2) Sellers - How many of you are doing pre-sales xrays? Does it help you sell the horse faster?
    you want uptodate reports matey a pre sale xray could be anyones
    a pre purchase examination only last for the time it was taken on

bit like an mot on a car- if you brought a car and then went and smashed your wing mirrors then it becomes illegal to drive on the roads

so a pre pruchase exmination only last on the time day it was writtien on
    if you want to sppend big money on a horse then you would ask for a 5 stage vetting
    if you buying a cheapy then its might be a 2 stage vetting
    as in everything but xrays and blood and wind and limb work ups

to protect yourself if buying then its down to the buyer to get ppe and xrays done
    this will save you heaps if it came back and the horse wasnt what you thought then you have spend out the moeny buying the horse onlyto find out its no good

a seller should be open to an vet examination can offer past histories of xrays
    and any infomation but then not upto date and present ones of the day of sale

unless another has and the orse has failed the vetting so there are left with the xrays by prevoious customer
    or that the onwer paid out for them but again they not up todate on the day of the sale so normally people get the vets in to a ppe then purchase on the the vets findings

Ah, so maybe the "clean xrays available" is more for the seller? This way they have a baseline, and will hopefully have no surprises to nosedive the price?

"Clean x-rays" are good for everybody concerned. As a breeder I like to get radiographs on my 2-year olds so that I know if there are any concerns before I talk to clients about the horse. For the seller, having a baseline is a good thing and while they will still have their own radiographs done (and should), they can see if there have been any changes, etc.

Also, in my opinion radiographs on babies are a waste of time and money.
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

I agree with Seigi. Except for very young horses, I think there should be baseline radiographs done at some point. Horses that have been imported for sale should have radiographs. Sure, you take your own set, but it's nice to see beforehand if there is anything that would negate the sale for you. What some people find acceptable; others don't.

I get annual radiographs on my horses' hocks and any other joint that I might be monitoring and I also get regular flexion tests done. It's just proactive maintenance for me.

As a buyer (hunter) I want my own xrays by my own vet. Then I know they are current and belong to the animal.
    As a seller, I think it makes very little difference. Everyone wants their own films, even if the horse has had films taken previously, whether they are clean or there is a known issue. I don't xray homebreds except in the case of injury.

I would rather have my own done. Although, I might appreciate the fact that there are existing clean x-rays -- I would still want to go ahead and have it done for myself anyway.
    -Debbie / NH

My Blog: http://deborahsulli.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Fantastic View Post
    Ah, so maybe the "clean xrays available" is more for the seller? This way they have a baseline, and will hopefully have no surprises to nosedive the price?
    Since my job is selling horses, I have x-rays avaliable of every horse in my barn. Even if they are coming in for training (and later resale) I ask the owners to provide me with a set of x-rays so that I have an idea of how much of an effort we should put on training / resale. Nothing like thinking you can get xxx amount and then go to sell the horse and it turns out there is a major "flaw" which these days will become a huge negotation point during the sale.

These days if someone is asking more then about 20,000 for a horse I'd expect them to provide the buyer with some sort of baseline. The buyers can then have additional views / clinical performed on their own.

Most young horses are x-rayed at about 2 or 3 in europe before they go to a trainers, because nothing like sinking months worth of training fees into a horse to find out that you will never get your money back when it is sold.

will say -- always have an imdepedant vet-- not theres when buying use your own so you have an unbias opnion

I've had a couple with radiographs before. For the most part, no one really seemed to care, and got their own done during the PPE. There was only one time where a buyer didn't get their own, and that was because the horse was sent down the week before with a fresh set of radiographs.

Unfortunately, the biggest issue I see is having a vet that is qualified and even knows how to read and interpret x-rays <rolling eyes>. Living in the heart of Quarter Horse country and having the local vet interpret x-rays on warmbloods is literally a train wreck waiting to happen. We generally recommend that any buyer interested in one of our horses have the xrays done by the University. If there is a problem, then they have a qualified vet that specializes that can then take a look and evaluate what is being seen.

Quite honestly, I think wayyyy too much emphasis is put on xrays. I've purchased horses for a song that had "problematic" xrays that have gone on to do quite well despite the problems. And I've had the flip occur. Bought a few horses that xrayed clean, but always had idiopathic lameness issues. One of the vets I used to work with when in California, I absolutely loved his philosophy - If the horse is sound with no issues, get xrays but follow what the horse is telling you. Unless there was something dramatically significant in those xrays, listen to the horse.
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

I am a breeder. Any that I still have in the late fall of their 2 year old year will be pre-xrayed. It is a good selling point and I like to know what is going on with a horse before I send it to my trainer.

Fantastic, we removed your crossposted threads from the other forums to keep things from getting cluttered and moved this thread to Off Course, where it will be viewed by members of the community from a variety of disciplines.

Thanks,
    Mod 1

I don't care if the seller has pics up the wazoo. I'm still going to get my own, from a vet of my choice, at my expense, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by Equine Reproduction View Post
    Unfortunately, the biggest issue I see is having a vet that is qualified and even knows how to read and interpret x-rays <rolling eyes>. Living in the heart of Quarter Horse country and having the local vet interpret x-rays on warmbloods is literally a train wreck waiting to happen. We generally recommend that any buyer interested in one of our horses have the xrays done by the University. If there is a problem, then they have a qualified vet that specializes that can then take a look and evaluate what is being seen.

Quite honestly, I think wayyyy too much emphasis is put on xrays. I've purchased horses for a song that had "problematic" xrays that have gone on to do quite well despite the problems. And I've had the flip occur. Bought a few horses that xrayed clean, but always had idiopathic lameness issues. One of the vets I used to work with when in California, I absolutely loved his philosophy - If the horse is sound with no issues, get xrays but follow what the horse is telling you. Unless there was something dramatically significant in those xrays, listen to the horse.
    Completely agreed. I did a pre-purchase once on a just turned 4 year old. The vet failed him and was going on about some bony growth and trauma on the rads on the front feet. I was like because the horse was completely sound, and, well, he was only a 4 year old pasture puff. I had a separate vet look at them, and he was like "What's wrong with this guy! The horse has thin soles and that's it! Trauma doesn't even show up on a radiograph!"