The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Scores

Hello Everyone,

I am back from my very first dressage show. It was quite a cold, wet, adventure, but overall I think we did fairly well under the circumstances. Anyway I realized that I am not really sure what score I should be striving for. What is considered a good score? What percentage should I be trying to attain?

We did Introductory level. We scored 63% on test A and 61% on test B. It was not our best ride together but we are learning. I am an equitation rider and the horse I am riding is a jumper so we are both a bit out of our elements. I realized that we had never practiced in the ring when I was approaching C and I could feel my horse considering whether he was supposed to jump over the planks that line the ring. haha

Congrats!!! I would call those great scores

In eventing...the lower the dressage score the better. And a score in the 30's is good and in the 20's is pretty phenomenal! Occasionally you'll see teens and that is IMPRESSIVE!!!

In straight dressage, the higher the score, the better. 70's is a great score!!!! 60's are really good Our highest score is like a 65 something, so it's hard to reach a 70. (well... at least for me!)

Good job at the show!!!

Thanks. Here I thought I hadn't really done very well. To me 60% sounds like failing (I am a teacher after all).

The numbers have word meanings: 0=not performed/1=very bad/2=fairly bad/3=bad/4=insufficient/5=sufficient/marginal/6=satisfactory/7=fairly good/8=good/9=very good/10=excellent. So, 60% means satisfactory.
    I.D.E.A. yoda

60% is an OK score. 70% is a very good score.

At intro level, I would say 60% says you have basics at walk and trot. It is common to get higher scores at intro. As the levels get higher, that 60+% is harder and harder to attain.

Scores tend to really bunch around 60%. A 65% is quite good and 75% is about as good as anyone ever gets.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Congrats!! Thats great! Our first show at intro A we got a 54 and a 56 in intro B It was bad to say the least, but now a year later we get 72-74 in intro B We are working on training now. Keep working hard and you will be surprised what will happen with your scores. Good luck
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Thanks. Hopefully we will do better next time and continue to improve. I suppose my ultimate goal from what you all are saying should be to score 70. Thanks. It definitely helps give some direction and a focus.

Well 70 is a hard score to get I wouldn't make that the score that makes you happy. Of course if you get a 70 or higher its amazing but if you score 65 and up than you are on the right track and should be ready to go to training if your canter is ready.

I think 70s are more common in intro because there are fewer transitions.

OP, I'm also getting ready for my first show, and I'll be thrilled if I score that well the first time out! In fact, I'll be thrilled if I don't die from nervousness, get dumped, or manage to allow any unintended leaps from the arena!

I have yet to see a 70 in intro at any show around here in the past year except for ours (not bragging on ourself but just saying) I don't know if our judges don't play as much or if the horses just aren't that nice if it is that easy to get a 70 even in intro. We have lots of 65's-67's and a WHOLE lot below that but not many t 70 or over. Just what I've seen in this area.

Quote Originally Posted by rabicon View Post
    Well 70 is a hard score to get I wouldn't make that the score that makes you happy. Of course if you get a 70 or higher its amazing but if you score 65 and up than you are on the right track and should be ready to go to training if your canter is ready.
    Ok. Haha I was just basing my goal off everyones responses, which seemed to be that 60 was just ok and 70 was only fairly good. The horse I am riding can be a bit strong the canter, he is a jumper after all, which is why I chose to start in intro. I figured it would helps us tune in to each other and work on our balance, connection, and obedience. We are not converting to dressage full time, just doing it to help out our other disciplines.

Quote Originally Posted by Ambrey View Post
    OP, I'm also getting ready for my first show, and I'll be thrilled if I score that well the first time out! In fact, I'll be thrilled if I don't die from nervousness, get dumped, or manage to allow any unintended leaps from the arena!
    If it makes you feel any better, we were running a bit late and the secretary had me all worked up (the judge wasn't even there yet) because I was supposed to ride in like 10 minutes so I rush and ran down to grab my horse who promptly spooked, broke his halter and took a jog around the show grounds. Needless to say we were both a little tense when we rode, not to mention it was pouring rain. My tests were pretty good except the tense and my horse decided he wasn't halting at the end of the second one. I could feel him thinking about whether he should jump the little ring as I was approaching it. haha You will be fine. Just relax, some advice I wish I had taken myself.

Here is what the scores mean:
    10 Excellent
    9 Very good
    8 Good
    7 Fairly good
    6 Satisfactory
    5 Sufficient
    4 Insufficient
    3 Fairly Bad
    2 Bad
    1 Very bad
    0 Not performed

So a score in the low 60s mean you are satisfactory at that level.
    Hindsight bad, foresight good.

Quote Originally Posted by Fly_High View Post
    Ok. Haha I was just basing my goal off everyones responses, which seemed to be that 60 was just ok and 70 was only fairly good. The horse I am riding can be a bit strong the canter, he is a jumper after all, which is why I chose to start in intro. I figured it would helps us tune in to each other and work on our balance, connection, and obedience. We are not converting to dressage full time, just doing it to help out our other disciplines.
    By "fairly good" they mean that if you're getting 70% at Grand Prix, you can try out to go to the Olympics.

Intro is an optional level - by which I mean that you should feel free to move to training as soon as you think you can do a solid test with cantering. Don't feel that you need to achieve a particular score at Intro before you move up. Many people never do Intro.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Intro and Training Level have a lot more to do with the quality of the horse's gaits and his relaxation than with the quality of training. The other important element is the correctness of the figures. Those are the three things that are being judged, not really training as there isn't much of it at those levels. The judges do expect the horse to be in a level balance, not downhill so you can lose points from that as well.

Seriously, getting over 60 is solid despite what people say. To see what you need to work on, look at the individual scores. 5 means you need to improve. 6 means you are solid. 7 is great. The words listed are BS. Getting 7s is like getting a gold star. Anything above is seldom seen by even the better horse/rider pairs.

Quote Originally Posted by rabicon View Post
    Congrats!! Thats great! Our first show at intro A we got a 54 and a 56 in intro B It was bad to say the least, but now a year later we get 72-74 in intro B We are working on training now. Keep working hard and you will be surprised what will happen with your scores. Good luck
    Right: Time and experience. My horse's first couple of shows between excitement (too tense to work through the back properly) and newness (3 spooks in one test), produced scores of 58% and 61%,62%. Last week, at his fourth show (over a period of July '08 to present) got 68% and 67% at Intro B (two different shows), and a 64.35 at Training 1 (first time). Just hang in there. Sounds like you're doing fine.

We crack the Prosecco anytime someone gets a 70% or higher at a recognized show!

60% or higher is something to be proud of! Well done!

A good rule of thumb is to compare your scores to the official Qualifying Scores for USDF Championships. Professional scores some times higher (pro) amateur and Junior some times lower (AA) Even there is no Into Level championships, you can get the feel for it from Training Level.

Training Level (Test 4) pro- 68% AA-63%
    First Level (Test 4) 66% 62%
    Second Level (Test 4) 64% 61%
    Third Level (Test 3) 62% 60%
    Fourth Level (Test 3) 62% 60%
    FEI Junior (Team Test) — — 60%
    FEI Young Rider (Team Test) — — 60%
    Prix St. Georges 60% 60%
    Intermediate I 60% 60%
    Intermediate II 60% 60%
    Grand Prix 60% 60%

Thanks guys. I went to another schooling show on thursday evening and despite the very swampy ring, I was so happy with my tests. We halted and everything (this was a major issue for us at our first show). We scored a 68.5 on test A and a 70.5 on test B. I was so happy. I finally felt like we were riding as a team again (we have been having some problems lately do to the other rider that lessons on him yanking on his face and causing his to be very sensitive). I hope we can continue to improve. Who knows maybe we will do training level after another show.

Were you at DVHA last night? I was too! This was my first dressage show for my horse and myself. I had studied and practiced First level test one. I had studied but never practiced Training Level Test 4. When I asked if someone could read for me because I had never done this before they said oh are you doing introductory or training level? I said no “first level test one!” they looked at me like I had six heads! My reader said I was very brave!! LOL I had no idea which test to start with!
    I ended up with a 69.6% in training level test 4 and a 67% in First Level Test One. I really had a good time. I think I might be hooked! I am a hunter jumper rider as well. what time did you ride at? I rode at 4:30pm and 4:57pm. Big Bay horse.
    Last edited by TSWJB; May. 8, 2009 at 03:37 PM. Reason: spelling