The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default John Madden's Riders...really?

Do John Madden's rider really ride in Bates saddles?

Not exclusively.

While speaking with someone "in the know" on this topic, she said no one-- not the Maddens, not Bates, expected consumers to think that their riders did always ride in Bates or even prefer them to all other saddles.

So... what would be the point?
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

And this only reinforces my decision to never again buy another Bates.
    If someone is going to be endorsing a product they need to be using it.
    If they don't use it, their endorsement is squat.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

I'm pretty sure it is Frank, not John, who endorses Bates.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

You're right I meant Frank.

Finally...back in civilization, more or less

Doesn't Bates sponsor/support the GM Horsemastership program that John is affiliated with? I seem to recall watching the DVD with an intro by John about how great an opportunity it is for the fortunate young riders to have an intensive week of training and horsemanship with the master ... with a big wall of Bates saddles in the background behind him, and the Bates logo on everyone's polo shirt and saddle pad.

I don't care for Bates saddles personally but I do think it's nice to see a company like that giving back a bit by supporting such programs.
    We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
    -PaulaEdwina

Quote Originally Posted by Jaegermonster View Post
    And this only reinforces my decision to never again buy another Bates.
    If someone is going to be endorsing a product they need to be using it.
    If they don't use it, their endorsement is squat.
    I have never had one and honestly I think they don't look nice or comfortable. Still what is the point of an endorsement if the person doesn't even use the product. Kind of defeats the purpose - NO??? I mean why would you, HOW could you, promote something you have never used. You wouldn't know if it is comfortable, holds you in a nice position, wears well... All the things that matter. Just completely ridiculous!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by LetsChat View Post
    I have never had one and honestly I think they don't look nice or comfortable. Still what is the point of an endorsement if the person doesn't even use the product. Kind of defeats the purpose - NO??? I mean why would you, HOW could you, promote something you have never used. You wouldn't know if it is comfortable, holds you in a nice position, wears well... All the things that matter. Just completely ridiculous!!!!
    I agree it's ridiculous, however, it IS the Maddens--which is why it works anyway. They're already big names, they don't have to say much about the saddle other than the fact that "we endorse it !" It's enough that everyone knows the maddens support it--however not everyone knows or cares that they dont actually use the stuff!
    (|--Sarah--|)

Blitz <3 & Leap of Faith <3

Quote Originally Posted by LetsChat View Post
    I have never had one and honestly I think they don't look nice or comfortable.
    Just have to say that I have a Bates and find it very comfortable and love that i can adjust it to fit all my horses well...

I am all but sure that Rick Pitino, coach of the University of Louisville men's basketball team (elite 8 this year) hardly eats at Rally's. And yet, during the broadcast of almost every game, there's a commercial in which he endorses the fast food chain. This is just one example of niche celebreties who endorse products because they get money, not necessarily because they exclusively use it. Another example is that my old trainer used, endorsed, and was sponsored by Lubrisyn, but not all her horses were on it. While Lubrisyn wasn't right for all her horses, I think it equally applies to the saddle question. I think that whether it's hamburgers or horse products, celebrity endorsements combine one person's occasional like of a product (or extreme like if that's the case) with a desire for more money for both the celebrity and the company. I don't blame anyone who enters an endorsement deal and likewise I can't judge them, I mean, I'd love to use some company's products in exchange for money.

On another note, don't be hatin' on Bates saddles. I own two (a Caprilli close contact and an Isabell dressage) and I think they're awesome. The Isabell could potentially be more comfortable and I'd die to have any sort of monoflap, but no complaints on the Caprilli and the exchangeable gullets are perfect for my horse Mr. Funkyback when my chiropractor decides that our saddle fit isn't perfect anymore. It's a whole lot easier than having the saddle re-flocked or worse, having to buy a new one (plus I've been able to keep my Caprilli despite leasing/owning 3 quite differently conformed horses).

I have to say, I love my Bates... and my mother just bought one to get in on the "comfy saddle" club.

I have to admit, when I was looking for new saddles I was vehemently opposed to the idea of Bates. But when it came down to it, it fit my horse and was pretty nice to sit in. I hate padding on saddles and this one seemed to be pretty well balanced on my horse. It was also in my price range.

I've ridden in the Caprilli and the Elevation and have to say that I like the Elevation better in general. As with everything, it's just a matter of preference but don't write them off completely before trying them!
    HorseStableReview.com - Tell others what you know! Post your barn or review today.

Quote Originally Posted by maggini View Post
    This is just one example of niche celebreties who endorse products because they get money, not necessarily because they exclusively use it.

<snip>

celebrity endorsements combine one person's occasional like of a product (or extreme like if that's the case) with a desire for more money for both the celebrity and the company.
    I was just watching Stacy London pitch Pantene. Yeah right she uses Pantene. Pffftt. Maybe she uses one styling product or some such occasionally, but she's not using the shampoo/conditioner like the commercial indicates.

I would guess the Maddens have had a Bates in their barn before and liked it enough for whatever reason that they saw fit to endorse it.

Similarly, I'm pretty sure Geoff Teall only recommends Dover Circuit saddles in specific circumstances and doesn't expect all his clients to use them.

Such is the life of "celebrity" endorsements.
    Last edited by RugBug; May. 6, 2009 at 11:48 AM.
    Keith: "Now...let's do something normal fathers and daughters do."
    Veronica: "Buy me a pony?"

Well, I'm hardly "hatin' on it" without just cause. I have a Caprilli CC. Overall its been ok, I like the leather and it is comfortable. But the CAIR system is a piece of garbage. I just had mine ripped out and redone with wool.

there are pictures of what is in those CAIR saddles here:

http://www.chronicleforums.com/Forum...d.php?t=195803
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Bates does sponsor the GHM clinic, and the Bates Equitation list is used to choose the participants.
    Laurie
    Finding, preparing, showing and training young hunters, in hand and performance.
    www.juniorjohnsontrainingandsales.com

12th floor of the Acme building in a city that knows how to keep it's secrets.

Quote Originally Posted by RugBug View Post
    Similarly, I'm pretty sure Geoff Teal only recommends Dover Circuit saddles in specific circumstances and doesn't expect all his clients to use them.

Such is the life of "celebrity" endorsements.

I didn't know Geoff Teall pitches Dover saddles, but he does endorse and swear by Thin Line pads.
    You will not rise to the occasion, you will default to your level of training.

Quote Originally Posted by Midge View Post
    I didn't know Geoff Teall pitches Dover saddles, but he does endorse and swear by Thin Line pads.
    Check out the Dover catalog...There's a pretty strong endorsement from him for the Circuit Saddles.

I sort of figure that you can like a product and endorse it all day long, but it's unlikely that it will work for every horse in your barn, particularly if it's something as personal as a saddle.

For instance, I really like a Dominus Saddle that I had. It was beautiful leather, nicely made, and well balanced. I'd endorse it and happily recommend one to my friends - but it didn't fit my horse, so I don't USE one and have frequently been photographed sitting in other saddles.

These "endorsements" make me think less of the people hawking these products. Geoff Teal (of all people) endorsing the Dover Circuit (of all products)? Really? I have seen a Dover Circuit. I have never met Geoff Teall. I'll assume his saddle choice speaks for him.
    The armchair saddler
    Politically Pro-Cat

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    I sort of figure that you can like a product and endorse it all day long, but it's unlikely that it will work for every horse in your barn, particularly if it's something as personal as a saddle.
    Exactly. (BTW, my friend has a Dominus that I Love. It's really quite nice. )

These "endorsements" make me think less of the people hawking these products. Geoff Teal (of all people) endorsing the Dover Circuit (of all products)? Really? I have seen a Dover Circuit. I have never met Geoff Teall. I'll assume his saddle choice speaks for him.
    And that right there is the snobbery and elitism of the hunter world. If a saddle has proper balance, fits the horse and rider, why should the name on it matter?

I ride in a Zaldi Star that cost me $350. It fits my horse...fits me well enough (stirrups bars are a tad too far forward) and is VERY comfortable: More comfortable than my trainer's Black Country that cost 7-8 times as much. You can't tell it's a low end saddle from a few steps away. Actually, you can't tell until you lift the flap.