The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default shipping boots??

i know that they are not really reconmended because they can slip, but i can't wrap ( i know it's bad) and my instructor can but when she's rushing (like normal) she doesn't do them right. so i feel like the safer route would be shipping boots.

The ones i've been looking at are the Dover's Pro Shipping Boots and the Dover's shipping boots. i can't really decide. the regular ones have more velcro's which in my mind seems safer but i can't be sure? or should i pick something totally different? but it has to be resonable pricing? any help.

I have the less expensive of the two Dover boots and have never had a problem. The ones with less closures are just easier to handle, its not like unwrapping an octopus from your horse. But at about half the price, I am willing to deal with it.
    It's psychosomatic. You need a lobotomy. I'll get a saw.

you know i think i am too, he already has to wear support boots and he stands fine for them i don't think he'd hastle me much about the shipping ones so, i think i'm going with those. idk!! ha ha i've got a while before i have to decide too.

I have the Dover Pros and have always liked them until the last time I used them. The plastic bit that protects the back of the pasterns/ heels shattered on one of them. I mean shattered- little sharp shards of plastic on the floor of my trailer and everything. My horse is a steady eddie in the trailer. Considering how big he is, you never even know he's back there- no kicking or wiggling even. Buyer beware....
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

I have some OLD Dover Pro's and I love them. The plastic on mine is very flexible so isn't going to shatter. Not sure if maybe the newer ones have harder plastic?

The regular ones that I have seen are very flimsy and prone to slipping and twisting. Mine stand up all by themselves so they're not going to slip as long as they fit. I would spend the extra money for the Pro's for that reason alone.

Have to say that I HATE shipping boots. They can make the horse feel claustrophobic because they are so inflexible. If it's a short trip, bell boots and well secured boots you would use for turn out might be better. I know it's not a conventional suggestion, but have had horses that wouldn't even load in those shipping boots.

I have these and I like them fine: http://www.valleyvet.com/ct_detail.h...2-00b0d0204ae5

I'd still wrap for long trips, but these go on fast and don't bother my horse. They're also not very expensive.

It's a matter of preference whether you use them or not, and the arguments on each side (naked, wraps, boots) all hold water. So you just have to choose what suits you, and don't let anyone tell you their way is better.

For me, I use boots virtually every time I put a horse in a trailer. I prefer the tall, shaped velcro kind like the Dover ones or Lende ones--any brand is fine as long as they're lined with nylon and not fleece. Fleece gets nasty very quickly, holds too much crap in the pile, and is hard to clean.

And yeah, the fewer straps the better--I had some with SEVEN on the front and six on the back--what a PITA!
    Click here before you buy.

I have one horse that I just can't wrap. Kicks like crazy with anything - even her polo's or galloping boots that I ride with daily - she will kick non-stop 'till she's naked. I HATE not wrapping as she doesn't ship well so I drive like a snail (which goes against my speeding nature)

My other horse doesn't NEED any wraps as he is such a great shipper, (I mean I could roll the whole rig and he would quietly munch hay until the jaws of life got him out.) but he is standing next to HER, so I use the Dover shipping boots as I think they protect him better than anything else - if she should accidently nick him.

Smile

While I'm old fashioned enough to like quilts and bandages, I realize that the Woofs and the Lende's and the more expensive Dover boots have a great deal to recommend them.. Yes! I know some days dealing with the velcro seems to like life in a bramble patch, but they do cover a lot of areas best left undamaged.

As for those cheap cannon hugging pieces of cloth-they aren't better than nothing.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.

I have had the more expensive Dover Pro's for more than 10 years now and they still look like new! The clean up easy and go on and off easy as well. Glad I bought them!
    www.cricklewooddressage.com

Fiber Luxe Horse Blanket Cleaning and Repair

Hey! Ive got the Pessoa boots and they rock. As durable as it gets and easy to put on (and the interior lining can be purchased in pink plaid ) Go with the boots that have 3 velcro closures. More velcro is just a pain in the a** and it doesnt add "extra protection" or anything

Love shipping boots! I will never again wrap for trailering...much more convenient and easier on my back. I love the more stiff versions than the floppy, fleece lined ones - easier to put on. A friend of mine has some really nice ones for her horse that I love - they feel like foam on the inside versus just a fleece lining. Her horse is able to walk fine in them and they fit so nicely.

Best of luck to you.

A lot of the newer shipping boots are really nice. I'm old fashioned and prefer wraps, but that could be because I've never been able to afford the nice boots...

So go for it!

PS. I would still practice your wrapping skills. Practice is the only way to learn that task. You may ship forever in boots, but it's a good skill to know.
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

I love love my Lende boots, personally. Yes, they cost a fortune, but I've been using mine for almost 15 years and they could almost pass for brand-new. I don't like the Dover ones, I just don't feel like they're enough protection to be worth the price or the aggravation of putting them on, but to each his own and they're certainly better than nothing. But, whatever you end up with, do yourself a favor and learn to wrap. It's not that it's so important for shipping specifically, but it's a skill that every serious horseperson should possess. You do not want to be learning to wrap properly when your horse is suddenly injured and has to wear wraps 24/7. Wrap and unwrap a leg every day before you ride, and you'll be great at it in no time.

I have the Andrew Hoy boots by N.E.W. They come in 3 sizes and I use the medium on my TB. They are the best ones I've ever used. They've never slipped once and we travel a lot

I have the economy shipping boots from Dover but find that they are hot and my horse regularly sweats in them. But he needs the protection! I've been known to even wrap then put boots over the wraps.
    Of the Pro line, does the mesh lining make them cooler? Worth the purchase?
    "are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn...I can yawn, because I ride better than you, Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn, you, not so much..." George Morris in Camden, SC

I like the weatherbeeta shipping boots.
    Moderately priced and hold up very well.

I really like my dover pro shipping boots - sometimes they go on sale for about half price! There is nothing wrong with wrapping either (I do have 4 wraps, too) but its so much easier to throw a shipping boot on!

OP not to be a nag but if you own a horse you should be able to wrap your horse. Also, your trainer should not jeopardize your horse by he/she rushing to wrap and wrapping wrong.

Otherwise, I am a Lende fan but Dovers are OK too, even Weatherbeeta's are nice, I perfer them over Dover actually.

I watched a horse get stuck in the manger of a trailer before. Tore his knees and upper legs all up. His lower legs were protected by standing and pillow wraps. The way he was rocking back and forth if he had shipping boots on he would have ended up with them above his legs causing a lot of injury to his lower legs.

S- Boots move too much and know one notices this until there is a trailer accident involving your own horse.