The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Red face Any reason not to mix deworming paste with feed?

I have been doing it for years... but as I was mixing up my 'special' pulverized (in the coffee grinder) beet pulp/alfalfa mash with rice bran and an extra dose of the vits/mins (which are strongly flavoured and seem to be the trick to tipping the scales to 'OK, I'll eat it without a fuss' ) for the ones that are PITAs to just do normally...

It occurred to me this is a practice I learned at another breeding farm... but have never actaully ASKED a vet about.

I know there are some products designed to top dress... is there any DIFFERENCE between them and the paste?

My biggest concern, really, is developing resistant parasites... but secondary, I really hate throwing money into the mud, ya know?
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I've done it before but only with horses where I had no doubt they were eating ALL their food, not dribbling it on the floor or picking around in it.
    Those guys get the daily or the paste in the mouth.
    I asked my vet about it once and he said whatever it takes as long as it goes in and nobody goes to the er is all good.
    "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

i do it with fussy horses as in put it in half there feedstuffs let me explain i put it in there dinner but only half of it i wait until they ate it then offer the other half as a reward and i always feed the feed with wormers in damp, and plenty of chopped apples to encourage them to eat it all up works wonders

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

I do use feed bags or they are in a stall with a non-tippable bucket for this process... so they are getting all of the dose, and ONLY their dose.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

I always feed wormer with regular feed. I have had a few folks
    bring me horses who had not been wormed recently (or ever in
    a couple cases) and a couple days after I wormed the horse herd
    I had ample evidence that the wormer was working when I saw
    dead or dying worms in the manure. So I would say that the
    system works just fine.
    Robin from Dancing Horse Hill
    Elmwood, Wisconsin

I squirt the pastewormer into some yummy senior crumbles, then splash some veggie oil on it and stir it together well.

This is for the mares who won't let me put the paste in their mouth and are way too tall for me to even consider a discussion about it.

All this stuff gets mixed up in the stomach anyway.

Unless you watch them yes It is a worry

I do it allll the time. My Clyde-X is fine to be mouth-tube wormed but my 17.3 Percheron? NO way jose'. She grows to 20 hands and ain't no 5' 6" woman gonna get 2 tubes into her. So I just mix with her beet pulp, sprinkle some cinnamon and down it all goes
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

I asked my vet about it once and he said whatever it takes as long as it goes in and nobody goes to the er is all good.
    LOL...I like your vet...that's pretty much my motto on dewormer and meds. As long as it gets inside the animal and I don't end up out of commission...then it's all good.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

I recently gave a tube of ivermectin mixed in with a hot bran mash for one of my broodies post foaling. She is a bugger to paste worm normally and that worked wonderfully! She stood there and ate every morsel!

The only cautionary tale I can offer is that one horse that I fed it to in grain who ended up wth some serious mouth ulcers!! Poor guy's tongue and roof of mouth swelled up noticeably.
    Glad nobody else has had that experience.

BTW..... Cinnamon????
    hmmm. nummy!
    KD

Quote Originally Posted by 2DaPoint View Post
    The only cautionary tale I can offer is that one horse that I fed it to in grain who ended up wth some serious mouth ulcers!! Poor guy's tongue and roof of mouth swelled up noticeably.
    Glad nobody else has had that experience.
    What dewormer did you use?

The dewormer would have been in his mouth even if you squirted it in there with the tube so I am guessing the sores would happen either way.

I have had found putting the paste dewormer in with grain to be the best way to give it. I am lucky to own beasts that will gobbled their grain right down, even with dewormer added to it.

Any reason not to mix deworming paste with feed?
    The only thing you have to be sure of is that the horse you're worming is the only one with access to the feed and that it's getting it's full dose.

Both dead easy things to manage.

So that means no reason why not to mix it and particularly for a horse that might be problematic.

I've been doing it for years as well, but not for horses who are "spillers". Those I deworm orally.

I dissolve paste wormer in water, then pour it over their feed. Let the feed absorb the water completely, then feed it to the beasties.

Mine are food whores, so they eat every bite.

I've found that to be sooo much easier than trying to fight a 1,000 pound animal who can imitate a giraffe when you're trying to squirt something in their mouth!
    Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

I've been doing it for years. I check carefully under the feed tubs for spillage, which is put back into the tub. It all gets consumed at the one meal. I'm also careful about letting my dogs forage under the feed tubs at deworming time -- they are mixed collie-types.

The barn I work at is owned by a women who's husband is a vet. So we just get the liquid wormer and I am instructed to put it in the horses feed! So much easier than worming each horse individually.
    I love cats, I love every single cat....
    So anyway I am a cat lover
    And I love to run.

It never occurred to me that horses would eat it from their grain.

I am liking this idea a lot. I've bought pelleted wormer to put on feed but obviously you can't do that with all types of wormer. How often does it happen that a horse just flat won't eat the feed with the wormer mixed in?? I know I have a couple that do the giraffe thing well, and one of them is an 18.1 hand hanoverian! However I could see him being one that would refuse to eat the wormer hence my question.

Quote Originally Posted by onthebit View Post
    I am liking this idea a lot. I've bought pelleted wormer to put on feed but obviously you can't do that with all types of wormer. How often does it happen that a horse just flat won't eat the feed with the wormer mixed in?? I know I have a couple that do the giraffe thing well, and one of them is an 18.1 hand hanoverian! However I could see him being one that would refuse to eat the wormer hence my question.
    Add a little molasses when you stir it in and I am guessing he will think it is a treat.