The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default The Best Breastplate!

Okay, so I have a problem with my saddle that keeps sliding back. I have tried every possible technique to stop it from sliding except a breastplate or a magical saddle/pad...

So I was wondering what you thought was the best breastplate for my dollar and a fairly narrow built TB?

I was looking for one of these breastplates So if you have any comments, pricing and locations of any of these it would be greatly appreciated as well as any other breastplate that would work, along with their prices and general location please!

Thanks!

Bit of Britian!
    Nunn Finer Worsted Wool Breast Collar.
    Last edited by Moderator 1; May. 4, 2009 at 01:36 PM.

Hope you are able to find something that works for you. Also does your saddle fit your horse correctly?

Have you tried a Barnsby grip pad? They have a grippy material on the underside that keeps the pad in place, and built in gel pads that also keep the saddle in place. I have 2 and love them. Smartpak carries them.

A friend of mine has a horrible time with her saddle slipping. Right now she was using a breast collar and a breast plate and a non-slip and it was still slipping on xc, so she got a 5 point.

you have a PM.
    : )
    http://kaboomeventing.com/
    http://kaboomeventing.blogspot.com/
    Horses are amazing athletes and make no mistake -- they are the stars of the show!

VTO Saddlery is having a sale on their Nunn Finer breastplates- jumpers, hunters, 5-ways, you name it. You might want to check it out
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

I just seem to have work through the same issue with my horse. I had to switch to jumping breastplate, like the link you posted, from a hunting-style, which did not help at all with sliding, and making sure my girth was tight enough. I found nunn-finer one with wither strap on consignment at my local tack shop!

My saddle slides side to side, stupid non withered horse. But I really dont want to get a 5 point.

ETA ok not all the time. Just when he teleports sideways, and the saddle and I cant always keep up.

Quote Originally Posted by Bobthehorse View Post
    My saddle slides side to side, stupid non withered horse. But I really dont want to get a 5 point.

ETA ok not all the time. Just when he teleports sideways, and the saddle and I cant always keep up.
    Try a non slip. I used to ride a fat pony who's saddle slid side to side. The no slip worked perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by FoxChaser View Post
    VTO Saddlery is having a sale on their Nunn Finer breastplates- jumpers, hunters, 5-ways, you name it. You might want to check it out
    Still way more expensive than ordering it direct from Bartville Harness Shop, which makes practically all of the Nunn Finer breast plates except for the 5-way.

To Maya01: If I were dealing with a backward slippage problem, I'd want whichever breastplate was least likely to "give", and that would mean no elastic. Have you considered just a basic leather strap version, like the one you linked to but no elastic? If it fits the horse correctly, it shouldn't interfere unnecessarily with movement or create rubs.

Thank you SO MUCH everybody! I will try your suggestions out and hopefully something will work out perfectly!