The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default No money for new show clothes :(

I have been eventing for a few years but every competition I have been to was my own barn's show and I was only putting mileage on horse and usually rode so it didn't count. Therefore, I usually rode in only a polo, or show clothes from my previous career (the H/J/Eq life).

But now I have my own horse who is just getting back in shape. I definitely have no money or competitive desire to do anything rated with her, I just want to do some schooling event for fun.

so here's my question. Is it going to be a major insult to the judge if I do my dressage test in a light blue show shirt and navy hunt coat? Am I going to hear snickers from other competitors? And is it taboo to do showjumping in just a polo?

I consider myself and eventer but I know nothing about the competitve fashions. I may also be super defensive and paranoid because in the H/J world, if you wear the wrong thing into the show ring, the whole show will be talking about it.

I want to fit in but I just dont think I can afford new show clothes. And used will be incredibly hard to find because I am very tall and skinny.

For a schooling event? Have a gander at the rules, but I think you'd be fine wearing your show shirt & coat for both phases. Generally a polo shirt is insufficient for the show-jumping phase unless hot weather has caused management to waive jackets.

I have never heard any snickering about what someone wears at an event, especially a schooling event. As long as you're within the rules, clean and comfortable, go have fun!
    Blugal

You never know what kind of obsessive compulsive crazy person you are until another person imitates your behaviour at a three-day. --Gry2Yng

I may also be super defensive and paranoid because in the H/J world, if you wear the wrong thing into the show ring, the whole show will be talking about it.
    Seriously.... stop worrying this. The Eventing world is polar opposite to what you wrote above. I have never overheard a conversation at a horse trials that had anything to do with what a fellow competitor wore. I compete at recognized lower level events all of the time in a Navy hunt coat. I have a dressage coat, but like the way my hunt coat fits better, and feel like I can interchange the two and be very, very appropriate. I have also shown First Level straight dressage in my hunt coat (at recognized dressage shows) and felt perfectly fine.

If you really feel like being one of the crowd, put a white shirt underneath your hunt coat, but honestly, I don't see anyone thinking one thing about your light blue shirt in dressage, and they are very, very common in stadium jumping.

You might also check with the management of a schooling show, since sometimes polo shirts are the norm for all three phases (particularly if they are on the same day).

Well, it's probably different in each area or w/e, but here, a polo is what everyone wears for most schooling shows. As long as you have tall boots, breeches, a belt, and a polo (got mine for $7 in boys dept at Wal-Mart), you're good lol. I hope it goes without saying that everything should be clean, well fitting, and polished...!
    Katie

Area II here - Southern Pines. It's funny to see what people wear for the unrecognized stuff, as the ones who regularly do recognized show in polos and breeches, sans jacket, and the ones who only do unrecognized (or cross over from another discipline) go all out with their show attire.

Just came back from an unrecognized dressage show, and everybody was sans jacket. I had on a dark blue polo and beige breeches and nobody batted an eye. I've also done three phase, unrecognized (many of them!), wearing my black shirt for all three phases - no jacket.

Don't stress. If it really worries you, go spectate an a show nearby and see what the others are wearing. In Western Michigan, where I'm from, even the unrecognized stuff was done in full apparel, but there was still nothing wrong with a hunt coat for dressage and stadium.
    "Opportunity is missed by most people because it is dressed in overalls and looks like work." - Thomas Edison

So, the Zen Buddhist says to the hotdog vendor, "Make me one with everything."

OK, folks, you really need to read your rules changes every year (NOT the OP -- that's why you asked!!!).

As of last year, for events where you compete all three phases in the same day, you NEVER have to wear a coat and show shirt.

That's NEVER.

A polo or conservatively colored show shirt with sleeves is FINE for all three phases.

Even at recognized.

Have fun!!!!
    The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

you can wear it even for recognized stuff. I am so to speak the fashion king, my boots are 20 years old and my coat I aint going to tell, and I still use the same high quality nylon tie I used as a teen. Nobody has snikered at me, but rumors have it that several broke down laughing in the stabling area and needed vetrenary atention.
    Enjoy your rides and your horse.
    That I have no use for them, does not mean, that I don't know them and don't know how to use them.
    Caveman extraordinair

Quote Originally Posted by Not So Practical Horse(WO)man View Post
    I may also be super defensive and paranoid because in the H/J world, if you wear the wrong thing into the show ring, the whole show will be talking about it.

This doesnt really happen in my experience. If it has happened to you, think of it as really petty people, cause I have never heard it happen in all my years showing H/J
    "Disapproval of the way other people run their businesses and treat their horses is the meat and drink of the hunter-jumper industry."
    Working Student Blog
    Current Blog

Agree with eventer_mi, but I am in area IV. For schooling shows and one-day events, a polo shirt, tan breeches with a belt and tall boots are sufficient and most riders who regularly show in recognized events go informal to schooling shows. Those who come in a coat, white breeches and stock tie are mostly riders who don't go often to recognized shows.
    Don't worry about your show clothes and have fun!

What everyone else said... but DO be sure you have a proper body protector. At a lot of the schooling events around here, people do dressage, then X/C in a body protector, and then keep the body protector on and go right to S/J... and even when the two jumping phases occur in the opposite order, body protector for both is considered good practice.

It happens at some recognized events, too. At today's UNH jumping phases, people went from S/J to X/C and wore body protectors for both.

Um, did this seriously happen to you? Because in all my years of showing H/J, I've NEVER seen it happen. With one exception, the WIHS Streaker. So yes, if you go into the ring NAKED and WEARING A PUMPKIN OVER YOUR HEAD, the whole show will be talking about it. Otherwise, just make sure your clothes FIT and follow the rules and you're probably fine.

I think that the whole ring snickering and whole show talking about your fashion choices is a touch of an exaggeration, but from what I've gathered working at A rated shows, fashion and looks are a top priority.

But I digress. If you're simply entering schooling shows, oftentimes the show bill will mention appropriate dress or you can check with the show management. The schooling shows usually call for informal (tan breeches and a polo), but I know in the Kentucky area, the MSEDA-approved dressage shows and combined tests call for formal dressage and show jumping attire. Cross country, even at USEA horse trials, is always informal (I wear a t-shirt) plus a safety vest.

When the show calls for formal, I'd say your navy coat is just fine. Most people can't even tell they're not black from far away. I would recommend, however, that you get a white shirt and stock tie/stock pin (or even one of those nifty bibs that you can wear over a t-shirt). They're relatively inexpensive, I believe I got a really nice Coolmax Romfh one for around $30 and paid about $7 for my plain cotton tie. The best part is that if you're showing formal and coats are waived, the quarter zip shirts like the Romfh ones look really sharp without a tie- the buttonups don't look quite as good.

Around here, most of the unrecognized events are full attire, just like a recognized one. Then again, so are our local H/J shows. The only difference is there is no braiding.

As for a Navy coat and a blue ratcatcher, it is 'legal' and at Novice and below you will see quite a few people in that or similar. My last event I did in full HP attire, grey jacket, yellow shirt, Tailored Sportsman in Puke Green and field boots. No one cared.

Quote Originally Posted by Trixie View Post
    Um, did this seriously happen to you? Because in all my years of showing H/J, I've NEVER seen it happen. With one exception, the WIHS Streaker. So yes, if you go into the ring NAKED and WEARING A PUMPKIN OVER YOUR HEAD, the whole show will be talking about it. Otherwise, just make sure your clothes FIT and follow the rules and you're probably fine.
    OK, I gotta hear this story
    "Disapproval of the way other people run their businesses and treat their horses is the meat and drink of the hunter-jumper industry."
    Working Student Blog
    Current Blog

Quote Originally Posted by asterix View Post
    OK, folks, you really need to read your rules changes every year (NOT the OP -- that's why you asked!!!).

As of last year, for events where you compete all three phases in the same day, you NEVER have to wear a coat and show shirt.

That's NEVER.

A polo or conservatively colored show shirt with sleeves is FINE for all three phases.

Even at recognized.

Have fun!!!!
    Yes, but apparently "conservative" varies depending on where you go. I was at a show in Area VIII last year where I had planned to wear a navy polo (pretty darn conservative IMO) and the show officials were insisting that polos had to be a light color.

Made me want to wear a pink one instead, LOL!

To the OP - you'll be fine, recognized or unrecognized. Don't sweat it.

Quote Originally Posted by Not So Practical Horse(WO)man View Post
    Am I going to hear snickers from other competitors? ...I consider myself and eventer but I know nothing about the competitve fashions.
    There was only one incident in my more than 30 years that resulted in being snickered at for a fashion faux pas in eventing. After stadium jumping, a clean round at intermediate no less, there was a remark made about the choice of black panties under my canary breeches--on the PA system. The announcer and TD were pals of mine so they could not pass up such an excellent opportunity! :wink:

Navy coat, light blue shirt, with appropriate colored undies will work great!