The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Leathers causing pressure point on inside lower leg...

I ride hunters so I figured I would post this here to see if anyone else had the same problem. My right leg has a painful pressure point where the leather lays on my inside lower leg. It almost feels as if there is fluid in it (perhaps from swelling). It is becoming increasingly uncomfortable to ride due to the pain. Anyone know what this is? Perhaps a shin splint? Help!

Quote Originally Posted by HorsRdr477 View Post
    I ride hunters so I figured I would post this here to see if anyone else had the same problem. My right leg has a painful pressure point where the leather lays on my inside lower leg. It almost feels as if there is fluid in it (perhaps from swelling). It is becoming increasingly uncomfortable to ride due to the pain. Anyone know what this is? Perhaps a shin splint? Help!
    It could be a blister (you can get them not just on the very top layer of skin) or the beginnings of a pressure sore, or just a kind of bruise.

I would see if you can figure out some way of preventing the leather from putting so much pressure on that spot. What do you wear to ride in? Is there a seam or something that happens to fall there also, so it's concentrating the pressure from the leather onto a small area? Can you give yourself more protection in that area? Different boots/half chaps/chaps? (Particularly while it's still sore/raw/swelling.)

For the swelling itself, if you can I'd take some type of anti-inflammatory regularly (i.e. however often it says you can take that particular nsaid in the instructions for a couple of days - every 6 or 8 hours or whatever) to try to bring down the swelling. If you think the swelling is recent (last 24 hours) put ice on it (to decrease the swelling). If it's been there longer than that, alternate warm and cold compresses on the area. (To encourage circulation to the area to carry away the fluid built up there, without causing more swelling.)

(The above is what I did when I had my wisdom teeth out, and it was VERY effective at keeping the swelling down and clearing it out quickly. I was pretty much fine after 3 days, even though the oral surgeon expected it to be much worse.)

When ever I have had a student with this problem it is because their leg is to far forward.

If you take your foot out of the stirrup and roll your thigh back then put your foot back in it might help dome if you can keep it there. Also try standing in your stirrups to make sure your leg is in the proper position. If you can't keep your balance and are falling backwards your lower leg is to far forward. If you fall forward either your knee is pinched or your toe is down.

these can all cause your leg to pinch your stirrup

Leg too far forward, and maybe this is your weak leg? It is on me, and when I start riding again in the spring (no indoor), I always have problems with my right leg. Pinching, blisters, bruses...ouch! I know this leg 'swings' more (even an inch makes for a sore calf). I find myself 'weighting' my left stirrup more than my right. I wrap my lower leg with a light bandage until I get myself strong again and my position corrected. Sometimes takes a few weeks - and the pain reminds me to get my leg where it belongs. Oh, and lots of pain meds!

Ah I get this but only when I ride in my friend's saddle with the flexible Royal Rider stirrups. In normal stirrups I'm fine. I think the flexi ones make my heel go down too much and it creates an unusual leg angle which causes that weird swelling you're talking about. So maybe try a different set of stirrups?
    I'd rather be riding!

I was curious if the girth buckles could be causing the pain as well?
    Jen Evans & DaBear

Maybe try the MDC Intelligence stirrups? They twist to a 90 degree angle to alleviate stirrup leather pressure on your legs.

Actually, you may need to try riding with no stirrups at all for a few weeks, until the area is completely healed. Which will also take care of any possible problem re: incorrect position or underlying weakness of the leg!
    Incredible Invisible

Ha ha...toughen up? I have permanent indentations and callouses in this same area!

I have a friend that wraps her calves with ace bandages before she puts her half-chaps on. Seems to help her overcome this same problem. I think it's a support thingy...

Used to happen to me when I rode in jeans - wearing breeches took care of the problem.

Quote Originally Posted by PNWjumper View Post
    Maybe try the MDC Intelligence stirrups? They twist to a 90 degree angle to alleviate stirrup leather pressure on your legs.
    Ditto try the MDC stirrups.

Thanks for the replies so far. I do ride in breeches and half chaps so no problems there. Also, it's not a rub. It is more like a hard lump. My position is fine. Just a pressure point. Guess I should see a Dr. perhaps?

I'm fairly sensitive to getting sores where the leather crosses my shins.

I find there are a few things that help.

#1 Good leathers. Calfskin with nylon core and flat buckles. (M.Toulouse $89 from Dover).

#2 Chaps that fit tight enough or wearing tall boots.

#3 When it got really bad I'd wear knee-high socks even under my jeans and chaps, not just over my breeches.

But #1-#3 will only help if you've already solved #0- having a correct, still, effective leg.

where is this lump on your leg? on the side?, the front of your shin ? how far up or down your lower leg is it?

i would lower my stirrups at least two holes for flat work, so your feet are just resting on the irons. don't worry much about heels down and work on leg position.

have you taken up any additional routines which might be causing this?

I had the same problem for a while many years ago. It was a deep bruise from my leg swinging a bit and being pinched/rubbed by the leathers. I wrapped my calf with an ace bandage every time I rode. It was incredibly sore for a while and took maybe a month or more to get better, but it finally did heal. In the meantime, I practiced some without stirrups to make sure I was sitting square in my saddle. Good luck - it's not fun

It happens to me in jeans and full chaps! Half chaps or tall boots, no problem! I scar badly and have a scar on each shin from jeans and chaps!