The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Cheaper alternative to Quiessence?

I'm considering restarting my guy on quiessence, but I just can't stomach the $40-80 a month! Are there any less expensive alternatives to try before spending so much?

I've heard of people feeding mag-ox, but I haven't seen an amount.

Quiessence has Chromium Piccolinate in it, which is avaliable in human tablets. Anyone use that?

Remission is quite a bit cheaper, although the ingredients are not quite the same.

http://www.horse.com/Remission-BWA63.html

epsom salts, the kind you get from the grocery store. 1/4 cup for a 1100lb horse, adjust as needed for different weights. i've had my mare on it for 2 years and she is doing wonderfully. i also have my boarder's mare on it, and my yearling filly.

i love it and will never use anything else as a mag supplement again. the quiessence did nothing for them.

I use two Uckele Products:

Mag-Ox (though you can also get this elsewhere)

and GTF Chromium.

Quote Originally Posted by apachepony View Post
    I'm considering restarting my guy on quiessence, but I just can't stomach the $40-80 a month! Are there any less expensive alternatives to try before spending so much?

I've heard of people feeding mag-ox, but I haven't seen an amount.

Quiessence has Chromium Piccolinate in it, which is avaliable in human tablets. Anyone use that?
    How many are you feeding? My Smartpak Quiessence is about $20.00 a month.

I bought a 50lb bag of Mag-ox last year from our local feed store. It will last me a couple years, for sure. I bet I only paid $40 for it. It works like a charm... for both cresty neck and to keep him calm.
    Kim
    The Galloping Grape
    Warrenton, VA
    http://www.GallopingGrape.com

Quote Originally Posted by Hampton Bay View Post
    epsom salts, the kind you get from the grocery store. 1/4 cup for a 1100lb horse, adjust as needed for different weights. i've had my mare on it for 2 years and she is doing wonderfully. i also have my boarder's mare on it, and my yearling filly.

i love it and will never use anything else as a mag supplement again. the quiessence did nothing for them.
    have you had trouble with diarrhea?

You can buy the 50lb bag of Quiessence from Foxden for around $200. I did this recently and if I did my math right that bag should last me about 5 month at 4oz daily. Much better deal than the smaller amounts. I poured the bag into empty Stongid buckets for storage inside the house.

Quote Originally Posted by ksojerio View Post
    have you had trouble with diarrhea?
    Yeah, wondering that too! Please answer!

I have been using Remission.
    Proud to have two Gold Prince POAs!
    Takaupas Top Gold
    Gifts Black Gold Knight

Quote Originally Posted by GallopingGrape View Post
    I bought a 50lb bag of Mag-ox last year from our local feed store. It will last me a couple years, for sure. I bet I only paid $40 for it. It works like a charm... for both cresty neck and to keep him calm.
    How much do you feed per day?
    Equus Keepus Brokus

I had a lot of luck with FINISH LINE's THIACAL--better than quiessence, but was using it as a calming supplement.

They'll send you a free one month sample if you call them!

Default I love this!

Quote Originally Posted by HollysHobbies View Post
    I had a lot of luck with FINISH LINE's THIACAL--better than quiessence, but was using it as a calming supplement.

They'll send you a free one month sample if you call them!
    Oh, Thiacal is the BEST!! I had a nervous nutty gelding once who positivily transformed before my eyes into a dead calm, quiet darling when given an ounce of this liquid a day. But it's so hard to find!!! Buying by the gallon online means a huge FOB tack-on the price. Also, since it's liquid it can go bad, if not used daily, right? Who do you call? Finish Line distributors? Does anyone know if it can be had in pelleted form?
    Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by ILuvmyButtercups View Post
    Oh, Thiacal is the BEST!! I had a nervous nutty gelding once who positivily transformed before my eyes into a dead calm, quiet darling when given an ounce of this liquid a day. But it's so hard to find!!! Buying by the gallon online means a huge FOB tack-on the price. Also, since it's liquid it can go bad, if not used daily, right? Who do you call? Finish Line distributors? Does anyone know if it can be had in pelleted form?
    Thanks!
    Smartpak has thiacal, and they always have a free shipping code available!

http://www.smartpakequine.com/Produc...eCategory=true

Magnesium oxide - MagOx is 0.45 cents per pound at the local feed store. That brings the cost to around 0.90 cents a month for me with 3 horses.

There is more to Quiessence than Magox Magnesium and Chromium. I have tried Remission on multiple horses and for a Biotin supplement, all it does is turns my horses' hooves to garbage. Go figure.

Thia-cal doesn't have Chromium in it as far as I know. It did nada for calming my pissy gelding down. Remission has Chromium but again, I have never had luck with it, on any scale but I have seen those crests go down from the Quiessence (which is all I use it for). Trust me, I wished the Remission worked for me just for cost alone.

MVP has a supp out that is Magnesium and Chromium though. Can't remember the name of it but they do have one. I've never tried it. Cost is about the same as the Quiessence though IIRC.

I guess it depends on what you are wanting it for. I just need it for fat pads and cresty necks. If I just wanted to calm a horse down and didn't want to go with Quiessence (it DOES work for that for me anyway) I would do Smartcalm from Smartpak. I just started a gelding on it last week and he's already mellower. And I'm just using the plain Smartcalm, not the Ultra. There are tons of calming supps out there. But for fat horses, I've tried it all and all I've seen a difference with is Quiessence. Just works better for my horses.

1 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by LMH View Post
    I use two Uckele Products:
    Mag-Ox (though you can also get this elsewhere)
    and GTF Chromium.
    This is my mix also. But, I had the feed store order me a 50 ob bag of the Mag-Ox for a lower price.
    Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
    www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

Quote Originally Posted by Auventera Two View Post
    Magnesium oxide - MagOx is 0.45 cents per pound at the local feed store. That brings the cost to around 0.90 cents a month for me with 3 horses.
    Several posters in this thread are recommending a magnesium supplement. However, I am feeding a ration that includes some alfalfa, already high in magnesium. Is it wise to give something like MagOx under those circumtances?

SmartCalm ultra from Smartpack is amazing, loved it, had great results and is much cheaper!

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by ksojerio View Post
    Several posters in this thread are recommending a magnesium supplement. However, I am feeding a ration that includes some alfalfa, already high in magnesium. Is it wise to give something like MagOx under those circumtances?
    The only way to know is to do a blood panel and also have the hay tested. Only one of my horses eats a hefty amount of alfafa. She's also a performance horse and I ride her a lot, so she requires more anyway. I give her 1/2 ounce of magnesium the days that she works hard.