The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 12 12311 ... LastLast

Default Continental Studbook--New North American Registry Warmblood and Thoroughbred Breeding

May 1, 2009 - A New North American Registry Debuts for Warmblood and Thoroughbred Breeding

The Continental Studbook-- The Right Studbook for North America at the Right Time

Today the Continental Studbook announces its opening as a new registry for North American breeders of Warmbloods and Thoroughbreds for Olympic and hunter sports. The Studbook has been designed from the bottom up to cater to the needs of breeders in North America. Until now, no registry has emerged from a design that is based solely on the challenges of breeding in North America, that is focused on Warmblood and Thoroughbred sport horses and that is dedicated to advancing the interests of North American breeders. The Continental Studbook fills this void with cost effective services, minimal bureaucracy, dedicated North American promotion, open Warmblood breeding policies, focused breeding direction and geographically unlimited travel-free systems.

The Continental Studbook accommodates and promotes the domestic sport horse population descended from Belgium, Denmark, France, Germany, Ireland, Netherlands, North America, Sweden and more. The mare centric Studbook recognizes and promotes outstanding quality, lineage and production while substantially reducing bureaucracy and costs for the breeder. Through constant breeding direction and well designed approval and licensing processes, the Continental Studbook is dedicated to establishing a quality reputation and brand name for North American horses.

The Continental Studbook will be accepting foal registration and mare approval applications starting on Monday, May 11. In the meantime, breeders and horse enthusiasts are invited to explore the Studbook in more detail by visiting the website at www.continentalstudbook.com. Studbook officials are available to answer questions via e-mail, via phone or via discussions on the Continental Studbook forum.

www.continentalstudbook.com
    registrar@continentalstudbook.com

Default New "Continental Studbook"

Just received the press release announcing the new "Continental Studbook" that purports to solve North American breeders' woes.

My first (and really only) question is "Who?"

where did this come from? and why?
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Those are two very big questions beyond the scope of a BB. They are addressed in exhaustive detail on the website.

Office - Continental Studbook

Exactly!! I went to the website and there is NO information on who started this studbook, no actual human names in the Contact section of the website. There were some farm names in a link section, that may provide some clues...

"Why" is very apparent to people who have been reading threads in this forum for many years on the challenges to breeders on this continent.

At least with three of the registeries that require foals being seen as foals or yearlings or be out of luck for registration, an alternative is worth looking at.

At present there are jurors for these three zig-zagging all over the contentinent to evaluate mares and foals.

And we all know it is just a day in a foal's life. Could be a good day or a bad day. (I know from personal experience ... which is one of many reasons I mostly breed Dutch which does not require foal inspections).

I've invested all of 5-10 minutes looking at the web site of this new organization.

I suspect the organizers are those folks in the links.

Sally

To take a wild guess, I would say maybe Kathy Stover, because it offers exactly what she has been ranting about all these years.

OTOH, the contact address is in Eugene, Oregon. Who do we know in the PNW that has had a beef against the Euro registries and might want to put something like this together? Doug Spink?

I feel the same way, I got the email too.

So, are there no inspections? I'm a little confused by the whole thing.
    Making Your Ambitions a Reality at Secret Ambition Stables.
    Quality Welsh Ponies and Welsh Crosses bred for sport
    Facebook Page.
    Section A and Section B Welsh Ponies at stud

Quote Originally Posted by Bent Hickory View Post
    Just received the press release announcing the new "Continental Studbook" that purports to solve North American breeders' woes.

My first (and really only) question is "Who?"
    Mine too. I just got the email from them and went to check the Contacts on the website...no info, just a PO box.

Website phone # is Eugene, OR.

Whois for the site is Robert Hickman, Lebanon NJ

Inquiring minds want to know.

I'd love to know how they came up with their list of approved stallions. I did a quick spot check, and they are missing - among others - Sure Hit and Davidor, both of whom are imported German WB stallions fully approved by The Oldenburg Horse Breeders Society/German Oldenburg Verband.

It may be the disgruntled stallion owner whose horses were kicked out of RPSI for non compliance with approval directives. Followers of this SO have recently been bashing the SO's current registry, so perhaps this SO is starting their own registry. For fun and PROFIT of course!

Of course I tend to read too many mystery novels
    http://www.herselffarm.com
    Proud of my Hunter Breeding Princesses
    "Grief is the price we all pay for love," Gretchen Jackson (1/29/07) In Memory of Barbaro

I got the email too and I am in Germany. But my first question was and would be WHO is or are the names behind of this. I do not like that there are no names on the site. It is like wanting to stay anonymous and that does not look good for an Association. But other than that why not if people think this is needed.
    Gwendolyn
    http://www.gestuet-falkenhorst.com
    Exceptional colored German WBs, TBs and Arabians

I think that (from my 5 minute study)-if your stlalion has been approved by a book that is in the WBSf AND that requires x-rays--your stallion is in the book-they might have missed a few stallion.

It seems like a bit of thought went into it....(or at least smarter folks than me ;-)

I'm not too concerned about the 'who'

I am concerned about this statement:

"Why does the Studbook reject off-the-track TBs?
    The Continental Studbook’s highest purpose is promote breeding of horses suitable for the WBFSH tracked Olympic sports of dressage, eventing and show jumping and also for the North American sport of show hunters. Only horses suitable for this purpose are admitted to the registry, and there is no correlation of race performance to these sports. This restriction protects both warmblood breeders and also TB sport horse breeders from marketing and name brand dilution by non-competitive racing animals. The studbook is interested in promoting the likes of Cottage Son, Laudanum and Gem Twist, and it is not interested in unsuitable mares or stallions that have no value in the TB auction market. A TB can have a previous race history, but it must demonstrate ability in the core sports to be accepted for breeding."

If the registry is looking to include Hunters they have to realize that some of the best TB hunters have been OTTB race track rejects. If you look at the zone level hunter standing there are many,many TB's high on the point standings. For the most part they are not purpose bred TB's for sport. Instead they are race bred, failed racing 101 and have a new job. Some of the great racing bloodlines have produced superior sport horses. Viney has demonstarted that many times.
    The mare base here does include many TB's. Many, if not most of the American bred hunters have been WB x TB crosses.

A mare and stallion evaluation system has been designed to track and recognize achievements attained in quality, breeding and performance. Based on five key principles of Pedigree, Performance, Phenotype, Physical and Progeny, the voluntary 5P PRODUCTION INDICATOR SYSTEM is designed to be a tool for domestic offspring marketing, breeding decisions, quality recognition, performance data recognition and stallion licensing.
    PEDIGREE - The Pedigree indicator is an evaluation of the quality of the progenitor horses (both mares and stallions) on both the paternal and maternal side of the pedigree and an evaluation of the quality of the family. The Studbook is looking for mares, stallions and families in the pedigree that have been very successful in upper level sport, that have been successful in producing offspring for upper level sport or that are breeding siblings of the same.
    PERFORMANCE - This is an easy to understand indicator. The Performance indicator will be awarded to horses achieving certain results at A-rated shows in dressage, eventing, hunters and jumping. The required performance levels will be higher than those of stallion approvals by other registries, and the levels are intended to identify and award horses with successful dedicated competition careers.
    PHENOTYPE - The criteria of this indicator are under final review, but basically the Studbook is looking for a mare or stallion that has a measurable correct conformation within determined limits, looks like a Thoroughbred or Warmblood sport horse and moves in walk, trot and canter like a sport horse. This indicator cannot be obtained until the mare or stallion is at least three years old. A key goal of this indicator is to generate data for breeders to use as mating tools.
    PHYSICAL - This indicator is easy to understand. The animal has to be: 1) cleared by a veterinarian that it is grossly free of congenital defects such as parrot mouth, lordosis, etc.; 2) laryngoscoped or lunged with the veterinarian in attendance and be judged free of roaring; and 3) x-ray examined with 12 specified views of its joints to see that it is free, or exhibits only minor occurrences, of congenital orthopedic anomalies such as osteochondritis dessicans, ring bone, etc.
    PROGENY - This indicator is awarded based on achievements of a horse’s offspring through either performance or other metrics. The metrics include producing offspring performing at high levels of sport, producing offspring achieving Phenotype and Physical indicators and producing offspring licensed as breeding stallions
    So, it's a Performance Registry for horses who look like TBs or WBs (what exactly do they look like anyway), have performed at some level or produce enough offspring who perform at some level, have 12 xrays taken to prove "soundness", and pass what's basically a PPE by a vet.

Yep, sounds better than the AWS/AWR to me

We merged the two threads re: this new registry here and tweaked the thread title to include as much of the original info from both as possible.

Thanks,
    Mod 1

Doesn't it have something to do with the NASHF otherwise I don't have a clue in how and why they managed to find me and send a press release my way
    In riding a horse we borrow freedom!

Photography by. Eventing Photo and my fun farm at YouTube

Quote Originally Posted by PineTreeFarm View Post

I guess the OTTBs don't "look like a TB or WB"?

Quote Originally Posted by PineTreeFarm View Post

The Continental Studbook’s highest purpose is promote breeding of horses suitable for the WBFSH tracked Olympic sports of dressage, eventing and show jumping and also for the North American sport of show hunters. Only horses suitable for this purpose are admitted to the registry, and there is no correlation of race performance to these sports. This restriction protects both warmblood breeders and also TB sport horse breeders from marketing and name brand dilution by non-competitive racing animals. The studbook is interested in promoting the likes of Cottage Son, Laudanum and Gem Twist, and it is not interested in unsuitable mares or stallions that have no value in the TB auction market. A TB can have a previous race history, but it must demonstrate ability in the core sports to be accepted for breeding."

If the registry is looking to include Hunters they have to realize that some of the best TB hunters have been OTTB race track rejects. If you look at the zone level hunter standing there are many,many TB's high on the point standings. For the most part they are not purpose bred TB's for sport. Instead they are race bred, failed racing 101 and have a new job. Some of the great racing bloodlines have produced superior sport horses. Viney has demonstarted that many times.
    The mare base here does include many TB's. Many, if not most of the American bred hunters have been WB x TB crosses.
    "A TB can have a previous race history, but it must demonstrate ability in the core sports to be accepted for breeding."

Well that will leave out any TB mare that was injured on the track, or one who was not shown due to an injury. The TB X hunters have other good registry options.

Yup, have to agree, just another AWS style with a few restrictions. NO THANKS! Not registering any of my horses with a registry with no humans who will step forward, rather than hide behind a PO box.
    http://www.herselffarm.com
    Proud of my Hunter Breeding Princesses
    "Grief is the price we all pay for love," Gretchen Jackson (1/29/07) In Memory of Barbaro