The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default ugh...positive thoughts and prayers needed

so... 40 degrees cooler and i find my ottb down in the field. he gets up and comes in and is in clear distress. this is my first colic in 32 yrs of horses. i have been very lucky. vet came and maxed the banamine pretty quickly..gave minimal fluids and passed a tube with oil. gut sounds back but weak. however, he detoriated over the next few hrs and i brought him to new bolton. sono showed distended colon throughout and even with sedation he was uncomfortable. and his abdomen was huge. so to surgery we went.
    appears he had enteritis..large small intestine.. no motility throughout.
    milked the bowel. now he is on fluids, lidocaine, promotil, etc. pooped twice by noon. but i am still worried. fevers were popping around him..fellow colickers. what can i expect? has anyone experienced enteritis?

Default Jingles

Lots of jingles your way.

jingles and all good things heading your way. Hard stuff. Hang in there.

Julie,
    Sorry to hear that. Give me a call

My guy came down with enteritis Sunday night. Luckily local vet got here right away got a tube down his nose to let the build up of fluids out of his stomach. A seemingly huge quantity came out which gave him relief from the pain. We then whisked him off to Rood & Riddle in Lexington, KY. Luckily, his was not a surgical case. Dr. Hopper and his team there have been fabulous. He went the first 36 hours or so getting fluids drained and his stomach flushed every 2 hours, 24 hours a day. At the beginning they were getting 6 liters out each time. By Thursday he was off the tubes and IV's and allowed limited eating. We hope he will be coming home by Saturday.

I've learned more about enteritis than I ever wanted to. Unfortunately, there is a lot they don't know about it.

Sounds like your guy had a lot more going on that just "simple" enterititis. It is crazy to talk about "simple" and colic in the same message. Mine had all the front end, stomach and small intestine enteritis issues but thankfully didn't have any of the back end colon issues etc that your guy has. His rectal exams were fine, sono was clear.

Jingles and best wishes to your guy.
    Last edited by Mudroom; May. 1, 2009 at 09:55 AM.

Sending my best wishes and mega jingles to both of your horses.

http://community.webshots.com/user/ballyduff
    \"If you are going through hell, keep going.\" ~Churchill~

Jingles from Indiana
    "If ever I did not have a horse or dog in my keeping, I should feel I had lost touch with the earth." ~Beryl Markham

Oh, hang in there. My guy colicked last Friday. Not as bad as yours and he is OK but I think we all know that terrible feeling.

Default questions

thank you everyone. when the first vet tubed him there was no reflux. then at new bolton...same.. nothing in the stomach. but they did get 3 liters out 4hrs after surgery. they tubed him again yesterday at noon and nothing. yeah!!! please,,, insure your horses!!!! i had the broadstone leaflet sitting on my computer for my friend's horse had a bowel resection two wks ago and they had not insured this horse for he was not the main competition horse.
    same with me. but after their experience i was going to insure him. just didn't get to it.

Jingles!! Sounds like he is doing better?
    I came closer than I can believe to losing one last week to colic and he totally turned around and is fine!
    Keep us posted.

i will keep you and your boy in my prayers.

Jingles! I know exactly what you are going through, my first mare had 2 surgeries. I know the first few days is very tough, and there is a lot of uncertainty. I'll be praying for you and your boy.
    In loving memory of my precious Gwendolyn; you will always be with me, in my heart. I love you.

Jingles and prayers sent from KY, for all of the horses who are having difficulties. Thank Goodness for wonderful Vet Hospitals! Without Rood and Riddle last Jan., my horse would not have made it.

Please keep us updated?

Jingles!

We always insure our horses right after vetting them, before they get on the trailer. I once had a horse that I vetted on Sunday. I was going to pick him up on Tuesday. Took out a policy Tuesday morning, and when we got there Tuesday night to get him he was colicking. Took him home after tubing/banamine since he seemed to be feeling better and since the trailer ride would hopefully shake things loose. It didn't work, so a few hours later (in the wee hours of the morning) we loaded him back up to take him to Auburn for surgery. I'd had the horse at home for all of three hours--but he was insured and his surgery was covered (after a call to the previous owner confirmed he had not been showing symptoms that morning when we'd taken out the policy).

Jingles from WV, and please jingle for my husband's TB, he hobbled in last night with a massively swollen leg (possible cellulitis?) and my vet can't come until tomorrow. he feels really crappy as I would expect. I know it's not as bad as your horse's colic, and i hope yours pulls through fine, but I could use some happy thoughts for my boy as well. He's a 23 year old very beautiful TB gelding, but he acts like he's 10!

Anyway, jingles for everyone's horses not feeling great this morning.
    Day Care, Preschool, Grade School, High School, College, Job: When do I get to PLAY??

ditto, thank God I had insurance on my guy.

Mudroom, Best wishes coming your way and hopes that it wasn't Stoney.

Yay Riley poop!

(hmm, it's 3:00 in the morning, where is wookie supposed to be?)
    proud co-owner of the dark bay mafia and one very shifty chestnut.

http://s252.photobucket.com/albums/hh22/EAlli/

Jingles Jingles and more Jingles your way!

Lots of Virginia Jingles.