The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default DSHB and in-hand shows

We had a thread on here recently about people cutting back on breeding due to the economy, and I am wondering if folks are cutting back on showing at DSHB and HB shows this year. How many of you previously supported these types of show but are going to sit them out this year?

I don't usually do DSHB and I am going to this year. I didn't have any foals this year (not for lack of trying!) and I kept a nice filly from last year and thought I might get her out and see how she does.

I am doing a great deal less this year. Some due to the economy, some due to promoting the stallion in FL and blowing a great deal of our show budget for the year and some due to physical issues(mine).

But the bad news for breed shows next year is the simple fact that less people are breeding this year. Information from 2 large repro vet clinics is that breeding is down by at LEAST 40 %!! as the same time last year. That is all breeds.

Maryanna Haymon
    www.marydellfarm.com
    2007 USEF Breeder of the Year!

Sort of - I'm only going to the more local shows where I can "stay for free". I got lucky this year and there were/are some shows (rated DSHB) with decent judges that are near me - one is only 5 mins from my house. I'll take my horses to those shows and not to the bigger shows in Atlanta and G'ville area like I normally do. Hate to not see everyone as that is part of the fun of showing, but when I can stay in my own house, eat meals at my house, save on gas, etc it just doesn't make sense to travel.

I'm debating on taking anything that qualifies to the Championships - that would be the only travel show we go to and a lot will depend on what everything looks like, what is going on that weekend etc (I have two qualified already).
    Emerald Acres standing the ATA Approved Stallion, Tatendrang. Visit us at our Facebook Farm Page as well!

Well, for once I am determined to get to enough shows to qualify for HOY. So I'll be going to a minimum of three — up from my usual two.

I had also planned on getting up to Devon, but I think $$$ and time and hosting an AHS inspection soon after Devon will keep me home. Sigh...

I have two lovely girls that I HAD planned to take, but have let the closing date pass. This is unfortunate because the site is only 120 mi. away and is one of those accredited as 2 qualifying shows held on successive days. But when I tally up all the expense of meals, hotel, stalls, handler, braider, helper, etc., it just doesn't make sense for me & my 2009 budget I'm trying to stick to.

Instead I'm planning to make it a day trip as a spectator and then kick myself for not participating because, of course, I KNOW that regardless of what I'll see I'll have the superior horseflesh back at home.

I'm only taking one to the 2 day show, instead of 3 as I usually do. I; saving for 2 in the Cincy area(low scoring judges) and really saving for Devon. My delimma is that the Region 2 finals is as far away as Devon, but Devon offers so much more and it's always fun. I'll have a mare and foal as well as a yearling to go to Devon. My granddaughter also wanted to do the leadline class. Peg
    Fleur de Lis Hanoverians

We had an incredible season in 2008, with my three year old Contester filly winning the Region 8 GAIG Filly championship and winning Reserve Championship in the NEDA Futurity. As much as it is going to kill me, I think we are going to sit out most of this season. This is partially due to money. You have to compete at three shows to be eligible for any breed association or USDF awards. In Region 8, this year the shows are spread over a much larger geographical distance, so we would not be able to hit three anyway. Beyond that, neither my two year old nor my three year old fillies are ready to go and at a good stage of growth. I have a very nice crop of '09 foals, so we may just hit the NEDA Festival in September with one of them. This is probably for the best because the early signs are that this breeding season is not going to go as smoothly as last year did... heavy sigh. We'll be back next year, for sure.
    Maryanne Nicpon
    Minglewood Sport Horses
    Ballston Spa, NY

DownYonder is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Quote Originally Posted by Marydell View Post
    But the bad news for breed shows next year is the simple fact that less people are breeding this year. Information from 2 large repro vet clinics is that breeding is down by at LEAST 40 %!! as the same time last year. That is all breeds.
    Yeah, I keep hearing, too, that breedings are down, but then I hear reports from some stallion owners that they are doing okay. I think I saw Edgar state somewhere that their shipments are running ahead of last year's, and I know a few other stallion owners whose bookings are keeping pace with previous years.

I think we will definitely see smaller entries at the DSHB shows this year, and probably next year, too. People just do not have extra money laying around like they used to have. Not only that, but a lot of horse people were paying for their show budget with credit cards. Credit has gotten really tight over the past few months, though, with many credit card companies reducing card limits for even their good-paying customers. It is definitely going to put a crunch on a lot of people's competition plans.

I have heard that many people will be cutting back, I know I am. Last year one of our breed shows was cancelled for lack of entries so I expect it might be the same this year. The more people I talk to, the less are planning to do breed shows but I will say the dressage shows have been full.

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

I've got one I'm taking to HB shows (more for experience than anything else) and I'm doing all the shows I planned to do with him (only those fairly close), but I'm also not showing my older hunter. It's all a trade off, and it's relatively cheap for me to get him to a HB class since I am the shipper, handler, braider and chief bottle washer. It's pretty much my time, entry fees and gas. Around here the HB classses are hit or miss. Seems like a less than in some years, more than in others. Now that FL has plenty of its own shows with HB, there are less people who travel up from FL to GA than in past years. That's probably a little bit of convenience and more about the economy.
    Definition of "Horse": a 4 legged mammal looking for an inconvenient place and expensive way to die. Any day they choose not to execute the Master Plan is just more time to perfect it. Be Very Afraid.

Original Poster

I handle the USDF show sponsorships for Oldenburg (GOV) High Score awards, and interestingly enough, despite the bad economy, credit crunch, etc., we are receiving a LOT of applications from show managers. I am pretty sure that this year's applications are running way ahead of last year. Hope we have ordered enough High Score sashes!

I hate to say it, because I have always been a player who played wholeheartedly, but this year I WILL be picking and choosing, one criteria: by when i think the youngsters will peak, and another by judges that I know prefer my type of horse, give pertinent comments for the future, and are not so stingy in their scoring. If these criteria do not mesh all at the same time, I will be staying home.
    "It's not how good you ride, It's how good your horse covers for you." -Kristan
    Magic Rose Farm- home of Beste Gold & Hot Shot
    Beste Gold & Offspring on Facebook
    Magic Rose Farm Warmbloods on FB

I will be taking my three 2009 foals out this year. My yearling filly may be out showing as well...depending on her growth at the time of the show. I just heard from Legacy's owner and she has his show season all mapped out. Kadence's owner will also have him out this year. Most of these will be showing in Region 8 (New England) and Legacy is showing in the mid-Atlantic region.
    Linda
    Home of EM Day Dream, SPS Pakesa, & SPS Destiny
    Breeders of USDF HOY Reminisce HM and USDF Reserve HOY Legacy HM
    http://wbstallions.net/hof-mendenhall/

Original Poster

Hmm, according to the USDF website, the Georgia DSHB show is only one day this year (Sept. 12). I wonder if the organizers feel that entries may not justify a 2-day show. I'll have to check into that.

We are doing more this year. We'll haul our stallion, he's PSG, plus 3 youngsters for the in-hand. We feel that with the economy the way it is, we'd better be doing as much as we can to promote the business. Plus, we feel we better support the shows or it may get to the point where there aren't any shows to go to .