The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results
 
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
Results 1 to 20 of 28
  1. #1
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2007
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    8,308

    Default Embarassed to ask, but.. ways to get hair to grow back quickly?

    I was experimenting with my mare's haircut today, and I don't really love what I did.

    She's got a roached mane, but I USUALLY leave 1 inch or so of mane, always. Today I decided to roach her all the way down to the skin, and I'm not really liking it. It does NOT look bad, you don't look at her and cringe or anything, I just don't really like it.

    So, COTHers, are there any ways to get the hair to grow back a bit faster? I'll be MTG-ing it a bit, I think. Other suggestions?
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!



  2. #2
    Join Date
    Apr. 14, 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    18,523

    Default

    As long as she's not lacking something nutritionally, there's nothing you can do to make it grow back faster.

    If she's lacking in protein or perhaps biotin, adding more might make hair grow faster.



  3. #3
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2007
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    8,308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    As long as she's not lacking something nutritionally, there's nothing you can do to make it grow back faster.

    If she's lacking in protein or perhaps biotin, adding more might make hair grow faster.
    Her diet's pretty good, and really her hair grows pretty fast just on it's own, but I was wondering if there was any way to speed the process up even a bit more.

    I've heard increased circulation = increased rate of growth, so I wonder if gently currying the area would help?
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!



  4. #4
    Join Date
    Apr. 14, 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    18,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    Her diet's pretty good, and really her hair grows pretty fast just on it's own, but I was wondering if there was any way to speed the process up even a bit more.

    I've heard increased circulation = increased rate of growth, so I wonder if gently currying the area would help?
    Won't hurt and might help. You should curry half of it to see if it makes a difference! Your own little science experiment...



  5. #5
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2007
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    8,308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    Won't hurt and might help. You should curry half of it to see if it makes a difference! Your own little science experiment...
    Then she'll have half a buzzcut and half a mohawk!
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!



  6. #6
    Join Date
    Aug. 25, 2005
    Location
    Northeast
    Posts
    11,855

    Wink

    The famous, one and only Tincture of Time.
    Some riders change their horse, they change their saddle, they change their teacher; they never change themselves.



  7. #7
    Join Date
    Apr. 14, 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    18,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    Then she'll have half a buzzcut and half a mohawk!
    But you'll be able to take pictures and market your New! Improved! Miracle Method of Regrowing Hair (tm)!

    I'd be shocked if currying vs not currying made a difference AT ALL. I'd bet money there'd be no difference But, hey...if it makes you feel like you're doing something to help, go for it



  8. #8
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2007
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    8,308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Simkie View Post
    But you'll be able to take pictures and market your New! Improved! Miracle Method of Regrowing Hair (tm)!

    I'd be shocked if currying vs not currying made a difference AT ALL. I'd bet money there'd be no difference But, hey...if it makes you feel like you're doing something to help, go for it
    Hmm.. and I will invent a special deluxe curry comb.. the MIRACLE HAIR GROWTH CURRY, for 5 easy payments of $39.99...

    ..I'm sorry, what were you saying?
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!



  9. #9
    Join Date
    Nov. 2, 2006
    Posts
    2,048

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    I'll be MTG-ing it a bit, I think. Other suggestions?
    Okay- but please be careful with MTG- I tried it on my mare and it burned her...bad burn, blisters - poor girl.



  10. #10
    Join Date
    Apr. 6, 2005
    Location
    In a barn
    Posts
    1,590

    Default

    I have had luck growing hair rapidly on a rubbed tail using Rainmaker or Absorbine Hooflex Liquid (contains neatsfoot oil, turpentine and pinetar - common ingredients to both and I think that is why it works so well). It definitely makes the hair come in faster than normal. I'm not sure how it would work on a mane - different skin in that area.

    My horse is very sensitive to MTG so I can't use it on him.



  11. #11
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2007
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    8,308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by gloriginger View Post
    Okay- but please be careful with MTG- I tried it on my mare and it burned her...bad burn, blisters - poor girl.
    I've used MTG before, and she's okay with it. I know quite a few horses who aren't, so thanks for the heads up, either way.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!



  12. #12
    Join Date
    Jul. 20, 2004
    Posts
    1,860

    Default

    www.nustock.com

    Kind of like MTG on steriods. It blows MTG out of the water IMHO, pricewise and results-wise (just don't buy from that website....it seems to be cheaper anywhere else). It has WAY more sulfur in it. Not good from a stench standpoint, but as far as effectiveness it just can't be beat. I used it on a horse with a ton of bite marks and regretted it only because the marks grew in practically overnight with shiny, slick hair while the rest of his coat was his nasty winter fluff yet to shed out. All it contains is mineral oil, pine oil and sulfur. Awesome stuff.



  13. #13
    Join Date
    Jun. 30, 2006
    Location
    Middle Tennessee
    Posts
    5,696

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by merrygoround View Post
    The famous, one and only Tincture of Time.
    Can you get that in SmartPaks?
    Don't fall for a girl who fell for a horse just to be number two in her world... ~EFO



  14. #14
    Join Date
    Apr. 14, 2001
    Location
    Minnesota
    Posts
    18,523

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Texarkana View Post
    Can you get that in SmartPaks?
    LOL...when my mom was a kid, she was responsible for dinner dishes. She was told to use "elbow grease" on a particularly crusty pan. She looked all over the house for it!



  15. #15
    Join Date
    Jan. 5, 2009
    Location
    Central, FL
    Posts
    1,010

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by meaty ogre View Post
    www.nustock.com

    Kind of like MTG on steriods. It blows MTG out of the water IMHO, pricewise and results-wise (just don't buy from that website....it seems to be cheaper anywhere else). It has WAY more sulfur in it. Not good from a stench standpoint, but as far as effectiveness it just can't be beat. I used it on a horse with a ton of bite marks and regretted it only because the marks grew in practically overnight with shiny, slick hair while the rest of his coat was his nasty winter fluff yet to shed out. All it contains is mineral oil, pine oil and sulfur. Awesome stuff.

    AMAZING STUFF!
    --Luck is what happens when preparedness meets opportunity--



  16. #16
    Join Date
    Jul. 18, 2008
    Location
    Ohio, USA
    Posts
    634

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by sublimequine View Post
    I've heard increased circulation = increased rate of growth, so I wonder if gently currying the area would help?
    Even if it doesn't, she'll have a lovely and healthy "scalp".

    No more dandruff for her!



  17. #17
    Join Date
    Jun. 14, 2006
    Location
    VA
    Posts
    11,372

    Default

    Genetics, nutrition, and circulation affect hair growth.

    Can't do much about the genetics.

    If you've got her on a balanced diet, you're good there.

    Massaging the area can increase blood flow--which is one reason that people *think* MTG is so fabulous--as they massage it in, they're stimulating blood flow bringing nutrients to the area.

    Massage is about all I'd do.

    I'm sure you already know this...but lots of horses are allergic to petroleum based products like MTG or oil based fly sprays. I'd be careful to spot test first. Known far too many people who have applied MTG only to have an entire tail or mane fall right out and chemical type burns to boot.
    A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

    Might be a reason, never an excuse...



  18. #18
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2007
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    8,308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by Char View Post
    Even if it doesn't, she'll have a lovely and healthy "scalp".

    No more dandruff for her!
    She can be on those dandruff shampoo commercials, as a spokes-horse!
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!



  19. #19
    Join Date
    Nov. 1, 2008
    Posts
    107

    Default funny

    I would not recommend this, but my ferrier told me to use bacon grease! I just thought this was funny. I don't know if he was just playing with me or not. Boy would that smell awful.



  20. #20
    Join Date
    Aug. 30, 2007
    Location
    Illinois, USA
    Posts
    8,308

    Default

    Quote Originally Posted by busterwells View Post
    I would not recommend this, but my ferrier told me to use bacon grease! I just thought this was funny. I don't know if he was just playing with me or not. Boy would that smell awful.
    Well I do call my mare my "little piglet"...

    MTG smells like bacon grease, I wonder if there's a correlation there.
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!



Similar Threads

  1. Replies: 5023
    Last Post: Aug. 9, 2005, 10:28 AM
  2. Seriously, no joke, I just broke my back...
    By War Admiral in forum Off Course
    Replies: 128
    Last Post: Dec. 5, 2004, 04:44 PM
  3. Replies: 685
    Last Post: Aug. 24, 2004, 04:20 PM
  4. Replies: 71
    Last Post: Jun. 13, 2003, 09:22 AM

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •