The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default 1978 World 3 Day Event championship Video

I picked this video up while at Rolex; anyone else watch this?

Mike Huber Rotational
    Wofford fall
    Horses Stopping right & left
    I think it said that 26 out of 49 did not make it around.

A few falling here and there...it's a little hard to watch!

Default I did purchase it at Rolex...

and I did not watch it yet. To be honest if knew that is what I would be seeing, I would have saved my $20.

BD is the narrator and it is an ok video. Very much a late 1970's style of video.

It does show the falls and reviews some of the reasons behind the falls - such as people not taking in consideration how the heat & humidity would affect their horses.

You also see some really good goes in all three phases.

I was there in 1978 and this video brought back many memories. Of course some of the fashion memories belong in the past
    "Never do anything that you have to explain twice to the paramedics."
    Courtesy my cousin Tim

Default ohh ... how far we've come

I bought it this past weekend at Rolex and, after watching Mike Huber's horse practically land upside down in the water on him and then repeatedly kick him in the face as he tried to get up...then watch him remount and continue was a real eye-opener as to how far the sport has come.
    I thought most of the riding was pretty rough and ready including the dressage! Horses sure were tough back then as most of the fences seemed to encourage them to land in a heap on themselves.
    I think it's a great video if nothing else then for all the things it makes you think about.

I have always thought that '78 and the '68 Olympics in Mexico were a low point of eventing - at least in a post military 3DE world.

That competition sent many good horseman from my generation away from eventing. And is one reason I am so determined to keep it from backsliding.

I will say that we had some excellent rule changes come out of that disaster. But more than that, we seemed to have a change of heart and a change of priorities as well. I wish I were seeing more the later here lately.

SCFarm
    The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com

It is pretty bad. I think Might Tango was never the same after that. Mark Todd wrote in his book that the carnage in the barn the night after XC was awful. I was able to get a video of the world championships in Gawler 1986 and that XC was pretty hairy.

Quote Originally Posted by riderboy View Post
    It is pretty bad. I think Might Tango was never the same after that. Mark Todd wrote in his book that the carnage in the barn the night after XC was awful. I was able to get a video of the world championships in Gawler 1986 and that XC was pretty hairy.
    What happened in the barn?? Not sure I have that book.

Quote Originally Posted by fooler View Post
    I was there in 1978 and this video brought back many memories. Of course some of the fashion memories belong in the past
    Like the photographer with the American Flag Bell Bottomed Pants?

1 members found this post helpful.

The NZ team ended up having to sell their horses to pay for their trip back home.

Quote Originally Posted by riderboy View Post
    I have had the Gawler video for quite some time. It is an education to say the least. And the 68 Olympics where a horse drowned after being swept down river. And Rome Olympics where I recall there were issues with removing a horse that had died on XC.

And there is nothing wrong with American Flag bell bottom pants

I just bought it at Rolex and watched it, there was definitely alot of riding by the seat of your pants. Is this the 'good old days' we hear about?
    It really is a good, historical video, I think.
    We're spending our money on horses and bourbon. The rest we're just wasting.
    www.dleestudio.com

Quote Originally Posted by Zephyr View Post
    What happened in the barn?? Not sure I have that book.
    It's Mark Todd's autobiography So Far, So Good or something like that. I haven't read it for a while but if memory serves he describes a lot of sick and wounded animals, IV drips Vets, etc.

I bought it last year and it was really interesting to see how far we have come.

It was a hard way to learn a lesson but it was that event that really changed how people cared for horses after a hard exertion - fluids, icing etc. Much of what is now commonplace was learned that weekend. Was it a hard way to learn? Yes, but at least we did learn.

I thought Mike Plumb talking about how he needed to ride Laureson for 90 minutes before his dressage test was interesting. Yikes. He still looked hard to ride!

Quote Originally Posted by DLee View Post
    I just bought it at Rolex and watched it, there was definitely alot of riding by the seat of your pants. Is this the 'good old days' we hear about?
    It really is a good, historical video, I think.
    I don't think that event was a good representation for eventing back then. Like another poster said Mark Todd goes into detail about how bad the course was, etc in his book.

Quote Originally Posted by Jealoushe View Post
    I don't think that event was a good representation for eventing back then. Like another poster said Mark Todd goes into detail about how bad the course was, etc in his book.
    Could it be the past few rolex events have not been a good representation of how eventing is now?... Just a thought.

Default '68 Olympics

Personally, I think things were a bit crazier back then BUT I also think in general we had some better riders back then too!

When I purchased some horses in Ireland Tommy Brennan helped me find what I needed. Tommy rode Kilkenny in the '68 Olympics and to hear him described what happened there was INSANE! He had told me that horses were jumping into the water complex and the water on some of them was going up to their necks. He said some horses practically were swimming in the water complex, and even others were being washed down the river.

Eventing is far safer nowdays. We just have more people doing it and taking short cuts. Back then at that level riders were dealing with much more difficult circumstances in many situations as you see in '78 and the '68 Olympics in Mexico.

Makes you feel like sort of a wimp eventing in this era!!

Kanga, but we got to a point, than, were we had reached the limits of what was tolerated and serious changes had to be made, 68 Olympics was a desaster, than came the euros in Kiev, the euros in luhmuehlen and than so to speak the final high light 78 world. Eventing in europe was seen as serious animal abuse and we had people demonstrate at the horse shows. If we had not cleaned up our act, we could have lost the sport.
    The image that was created, still carries over into today.
    That I have no use for them, does not mean, that I don't know them and don't know how to use them.
    Caveman extraordinair

Quote Originally Posted by Shrunk "N" Da Wash View Post
    Could it be the past few rolex events have not been a good representation of how eventing is now?... Just a thought.
    I hope, but can't know.

Quote Originally Posted by pegasusmom View Post
    I have had the Gawler video for quite some time. It is an education to say the least. And the 68 Olympics where a horse drowned after being swept down river. And Rome Olympics where I recall there were issues with removing a horse that had died on XC.
    I watched the Gawler video once. It pissed me off

Quote Originally Posted by pegasusmom View Post
    And there is nothing wrong with American Flag bell bottom pants
    Oh, I think there is.

Default '68 - '78

Gnep- I agree with you that we had to clean up our act then, no doubt!

I am just saying that eventers back then dealt with some extreme circumstances and there was a different kind of toughness they seem to possess.

In my opinion they were much better all-round horsemen/women in that era because they did a lot of different types of riding (real foxhunting, long distance riding, racing or steeplechasing, etc, etc..) which all made their cross-country riding much better.

We don't see much of this nowdays!