The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default HOLD MY HAND!!!!!! Dystocia! Jingles needed 4 # 2!

Ok, please tell me that it is going to be ok!

Last year I had the worst foaling ever for us, resulting in the loss of a 9 year old black dutch mare and her perfect, full term Sagnol filly.

Breedings were already puchased and the next couple of foalings went well, but now I have had a year to dwell and wory and WORRY!!! What is wrong with me? I am a wreck!

Amelia is at 348 days today and Reel Proper is at 344. Both are close, but both are giving me fits! They are on and off of their feed, up and down in the stalls and just generally giving me the big Suerte feeling. Amelia is new to me but has had at least 1/2 a dozen foals and this is Secret's 9th. SHe was supposed to have a Rodioso last year, but was checked open in the spring. Cameras are up, straw is down and I am falling apart!

Moral support please!!!!!!!!!!!
    Last edited by Iron Horse Farm; May. 9, 2009 at 01:15 PM. Reason: update
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

You will do awesome!!! They are going to give you super fantastic foals so they might as well get the show on the road already

Quote Originally Posted by Dressage-ryder View Post
    You will do awesome!!! They are going to give you super fantastic foals so they might as well get the show on the road already
    Oh, you are soo positive! I love it!
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Sending good karma your way.

slap you or kick you up the bum---- get a grip it will be fine

Smile

You have every right to be a nervous wreck with the year you had last year. The good news is your broodies sound like old pros and I am sure they will have everything under control. I lost last years foal in the final part of my mare's pregnancy and I too get freak out. I think it is normal, well as normal as us "breeders" can get. Have a glass of wine and picture your fields full of perfect foals running and playing. It helps me. We just had our first foal of the year, and my mare that lost her foal last year is getting really close!! You and your girls will do great!!!
    Sending a basket full of jingles your way.
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

Sending lots of positive jingles, LOTS! Don't worry, as has been said those are veteran broodmares, and you have to remember all the times everything went right. Good luck-- sending wishes for safe and easy foalings-

Nancy
    Home of Ironman: GOV, BWP, RPSI, CSHA, AWR, ISR Oldenburg, CWHBA, CSHA, CS, and PHR.
    www.ironmanonline.com

Totally know how you feel! It only takes one really horrible experience to turn your opinion of foaling season from incredible excitment to completely terrified. We had a bad year last year as well but nowhere near like yours... so here's to a great foaling season with happy, healthy mares and foals!! <cheers>

PS Remember that statistics are in your favor - 90% of births are uneventful?
    Signature Sporthorses
    www.signaturesporthorses.com

This years is my very first, and Im an absolute wreck. I don't know how people do this, multiple times even! We're still a month out, and my mare is gigantic. I'm a total nervous nellie

Miss Amelia is a pro. I have seen her get as big as a house, legs swell up, the whole 9 yards. And never a problem foaling.
    Please let me know when she has it and give her a kiss from me.
    Kathi

Had a panic attack this morning because I fell asleep watching the cameras............but, no babies yet! It seems that they are going to torture me for at least another day.

These two mares are best friends in the world. Last year they cycled together and if Reel Proper hadn't held onto her follicle forever, they would share a due date as well.
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Quote Originally Posted by shea'smom View Post
    Miss Amelia is a pro. I have seen her get as big as a house, legs swell up, the whole 9 yards. And never a problem foaling.
    Please let me know when she has it and give her a kiss from me.
    Kathi
    Yes, yes!! She is very very large! I think that soon small planets are going to start orbiting around her.

And, if possible, she is getting sweeter and sweeter. I go out to see her and her lower lip is hanging and her head is lowered.........she let my two kids groom all over her the other day with her eyes closed.
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    LIKE us on Facebook!

All the best!
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

I can certainly relate. On April 9th my mare lost her foal at 314 d with a horrible dystocia. I am a nervous wreck for the one due at the end of May/early June.

But as others have said, most foalings are normal and thus your chances of having a normal foaling are high.

Plus you are very experienced, so even in the event of a bad foaling, I am sure that you will do the right thing.

I totally understand your feelings. Kind of deja vu for me back in 2006 when Wintermaske was due with her first foal (she'd had an ET foal in 2004). The previous year I had lost a mare 20 hours after foaling to a twisted colon and 2 months later lost a filly that was about three weeks old. If mares had not already been bred back, I was going to throw in the towel and quit.

Remember that most of the time all goes well. These mares sound like they are seasoned veterans. Be there and be alert, but hope for the best. Wishing all goes perfectly.

Quote Originally Posted by Edgewood View Post
    I can certainly relate. On April 9th my mare lost her foal at 314 d with a horrible dystocia. I am a nervous wreck for the one due at the end of May/early June.

But as others have said, most foalings are normal and thus your chances of having a normal foaling are high.

Plus you are very experienced, so even in the event of a bad foaling, I am sure that you will do the right thing.
    Kris, you are so sweet. So sorry to hear abut the loss of your foal. I hope that the mare is ok.

This breeding business can be so tough.
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Jingles from Kansas !!!! AO - ALWAYS OPTIMISTIC !!! Send pics and update us with your beautiful babies soon!!

Well, just think Holly. What are the odds 2009 will be as bad or worse than 2008? Pretty darn slim I say!

It will be okay, really it will!
    I love cooking with wine. Sometimes I even put it in the food.

And now my dad just had a heart attack, just got the news from the hospital..............he "was off his feed" yesterday and had a monstrous headache. They are transferring him to a specialty hosp in a couple of hours
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Sending serious jingles to your dad, and good thoughts to you and your mares... Hang in there Holly!