The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Trainer &/or Boarding - near Raleigh, NC

Looking for a trainer and/or boarding in/near Raleigh, NC. I don't particularly want to drive more than 30 minutes to the barn everyday and was hoping to keep boarding costs $475 or below. (But for the exceptional of exceptional I might spring for $550.) Relocating as of June 1st looking to ride with someone for a while before moving my horse down. Would like to continue showing the A's with a trainer who has a good reputation. Ideally trainer would emphasize flatwork, be positive and understanding, while still challenging their riders. As far as philosophy I would prefer someone who believes the horse should be calm, straight, and forward. "Always gentle, instill confidence, and evince kindness, with a will that is calm yet inflexible.” (I refuse to ride with someone who over faces any horse or rider.) Sorry this is so broken and brief but hopefully it will help weed out the poor matches. Please provide links and/or contact info when possible. Thanks!

P.S. - As a side note, some one with exceptional pony riders would be a big plus too! As I will be bringing a Large down at some point to be sold. Baording and trainer do not need to be at the same location.

You're going to be hard pressed to find a farm with an active 'A' show trainer on site (full time) in that range for that area.

I really don't know prices of a ton of barns around the area, but I do know one who fits that bill to-a-T and is priced at $700 a month.... Just something to consider.

Boarding in this area has been a thread multiple times, so I would try to search it.

You have a PM

Hollywood, but not the one where they have the Oscars!

Wow I wish I could find boarding at an A rated facilty for 550, much less 475....really I do
    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
    carolprudm

AS stated in the PREVIOUS post trainer DOES NOT have to be on site nor does said trainer or facility need to be IN Raleigh, a 30 - 40 minute drive wouldn't bother me tremendously. Though I do appreciate the information; the going rate for an active A circuit trainer on site where I am coming from (Zone 5) is EASILY in the $450 - $600 range. $600 being seriously high.

Prices around $600-$700 ARE a 30-40 minute drive from Raleigh.... just saying.

And WE are just SAYING...thats going to be HARD in Raleigh
    carolprudm

Where in Raleigh are you moving to?

I think if you want to ship in for lessons, it can be done if you're willing to drive about 40 minutes to the barn.

Some trainers I'd check out are Melissa Jones Sarle and Tony Albertson. My trainer, Beverly Burnette, is fantastic with her training methods but she does go to more C shows than A shows.

At my barn, 45 minutes from Raleigh we offer full board, with individualized care for $315, so yes it can be done! However, although I teach/train we do not do the "A"s but there are some trainers within driving distance from me that do.

Where the prairie ends and the mountains begin

Quote Originally Posted by shawneeAcres View Post
    At my barn, 45 minutes from Raleigh we offer full board, with individualized care for $315, so yes it can be done! However, although I teach/train we do not do the "A"s but there are some trainers within driving distance from me that do.

The big question to the OP is... to what side of Raleigh are you relocating? That will determine a lot as far as driving distance. If you are on the east side, then yes it is plausible to drive to Shawnee, but if you are on the south/north/west side... not so much, especially with traffic. I live in Apex (southwest of Raleigh) and Shawnee is more like an hour's drive, just for perspective.

I agree with the others that it is difficult. The flat board alone in this area averages around $500. Cheaper if you want less amenities, more expensive for covered/indoor facilities.

There are really good trainers in the area though. If you want to ship out/in for lessons then you could board at a "cheaper" place.

BTW.. Hi Limerick. Now that it's nice out again we should meet up for a trail ride so I can show you around!
    Dreaming in Color

DreaminginColor, I'm no longer your "neighbor"-that barn closed to boarders and we have relocated. We did try a trail ride up towards your barn one day and our hunters and jumpers all freaked out about crossing a six inch "gap" so I don't know how successful the trail ride would have been!!

Quote Originally Posted by Limerick View Post
    DreaminginColor, I'm no longer your "neighbor"-that barn closed to boarders and we have relocated. We did try a trail ride up towards your barn one day and our hunters and jumpers all freaked out about crossing a six inch "gap" so I don't know how successful the trail ride would have been!!
    Oh bummer! I was thinking about you the other day while I was out on a hack.
    Where did you move?
    Dreaming in Color

Quote Originally Posted by KingoftheRoad View Post
    Board with group turnout is around $500, I think - I haven't paid much attention to the bill recently, to be honest!
    We got a new boarder last year who came over because they went up on the board... I think it's closer to 600 now. Don't quote me on that, but I would be interested to know what it is with all their ammenities...
    Dreaming in Color

I didnt say it couldnt be done....just that for all of the the things the OP wants, it would be very hard, and yes, it definitely depends to which area of Raleigh OP is moving.
    carolprudm

Quote Originally Posted by KingoftheRoad View Post
    You're right - I went to look at my bill again, and straight board with group turnout is $600. Stinks that it's so high, but again, I'd pay a premium for the complete lack of drama at the barn.

They have three lighted rings - which isn't so crucial now, but is an absolute must as soon as the time changes - the top jumper ring is lighted, as is the covered and the dressage ring in the grass field.
    I agree about loving a drama free barn! Ours is great like that too. We have a beautiful lighted arena, but I will admit the one thing we lack is a covered... but I am not willing to pay another 100/mo. just for that.

OP - check out NC Horse News.
    Dreaming in Color