The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Fine or medium blades for full body clip?

I just bought a new pair of Lister's. What blade is better for a full body clip? Fine or medium? Thanks!

Do they have sizes that are numerical? I usually body clip with #10 blades and then use #40s for muzzles and the inside of ears right before a horse show. You do not want to go too short on the body.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Definitely medium. I used fine on my new Lister Stars one year and ended up with a very bald horse all winter. Way too short, but once I started I couldn't stop.

fordtraktor is right. The lister blades don't really line up with other blades. Their fine is like a surgical blade- great for muzzles and cleaning around cuts. Medium is for everything else.

medium! First time I clipped one I clipped with the blade that came with the clippers (fine) and scalped my horses.

MEDIUM MEDIUM MEDIUM MEDIUM
    "are you yawning? You don't ride well enough to yawn...I can yawn, because I ride better than you, Meredith Michael Beerbaum can yawn, you, not so much..." George Morris in Camden, SC

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

ditto all the above!

I clipped my horse's legs with the fines because I just. had. to. use. the new. clippers. NOW. and the medium blades were on back order... So I thought it was a perfect plan - clip lower legs, in 2 weeks the mediums arrive and do a full blody clip and in 4 weeks go to the first spring show. Do you know after SIX weeks you could still see a clear clip line and difference in hair length? And I have a word of old halter experience in getting a 40 blade leg clip to sync up with a 15 blade prep for a show...
    Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

MEDIUM.

It was hideous. Just the other week one of the girls from the barn borrowed some clippers, clipped half the horse and the blades got jammed. The owner of the clippers wasn't there, so she just dug through the bag and found a new pair in a case, so she just put those on not thinking they were different. Holy Cow was that horse ugly. She literally shaved the other half of him bald. He is a fat paint pony, so you could clearly see straight to his pink skin.

It was the girls first time ever body clipping, so she didn't know it isn't supposed to look like that I guess.

Eh, I didn't think the fine was really that bad. It's what came with the clippers, and I've used it for three body clips. It's definitely a close shave, but my dark horse never looked scalped, and I'll probably keep using these blades until I *need* another pair. If I was choosing, I'd probably pick medium. But if you want to just go for it without spending another $50, I think you'll probably be fine.

Well, it depends on what you call "bad" touchstone. My black horse was a lovely shade of grulla. It didn't look hideous per se, but he didn't look black either.

Quote Originally Posted by fordtraktor View Post
    Well, it depends on what you call "bad" touchstone. My black horse was a lovely shade of grulla. It didn't look hideous per se, but he didn't look black either.
    My black guy stayed black. I must confess that my clipping skills are not yet perfect, so I left some lines. But in two weeks, he looked sleek and lovely. Maybe I just got lucky. The consensus definitely seems to be tilting strongly in the direction of medium.

Thanks everyone. I'm SOOOOOO glad I asked before clipping They come with the fine blades which I read were supposed to be for body clipping "show horses." I think I also read that they left less lines I've clipped horses for a very long time but I've never had Lister's...definitely don't want to make the jumpers bald!!

Where am I and what am I doing in this handbasket?

I think lines are likely to happen with any length of blade, if the blade is getting dull, the horse is not clean, the person holding the clippers is not experienced (either with that particular clipper or any clipper) or any combination of the aforementioned.

I love my Listers, but you need to hold them at a slightly different angle/way than my old sunbeams, and I felt like I was leaving lines left and right the first time I clipped with the listers. Probably not, and it wasn't like anyone else noticed, but the was obsessing over it the entire time because 20 years of Clipmaster muscle memory is a tough thing to overcome.
    Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.