The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Default Summer Reading List ideas for Students?

Maybe you guys could help me come up with some ideas for a summer reading list for my students. I'd like to include books in two categories: fun horsey fiction and riding/training books.

The students I have in mind range in age from 10 to 15.

Here's a start- now help me out....

Fun Horsey Fiction:
    Summer Pony/Winter Pony: Jean Slaughter Doty (younger kids)
    In Service to The Horse (older kids)

Riding/Training:
    Hunter Seat Equitation: George Morris
    Winning: Anna Jane White Mullen
    Learning to Ride Hunt and Show: Gordon Wright

Judging Hunters & Equitation.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

how about grooming to win? maybe a book on general horse management not just ridding

For older students ( and professionals for that matter!) Riding Logic, Wilhelm Museler.
    www.midatlanticeq.com
    Mid-Atlantic Equitation Festival,Scholarships and College Fair
    November 11-13, 2016

Hunter Seat Equitation by George Morris

USPC Manual

For fiction I'd suggest
    The Monday Horses, Jean Slaughter Doty
    White Stallion of Lipizza, by Marguerite Henry
    Fly By Night and The Team by KM Peyton
    Flying Changes by Lynn Hall
    A Horse Called Dragon by Lynn Hall
    For Love of a Horse by Patricia Leitch
    Sky Rocket: The Story of a Little Bay Horse by Margaret Cabell Self
    Vicki and the Black Horse / Vicki and the Brown Mare by Sam Savitt
    A Horse like Mr. Ragman by Rachel Rivers Coffey
    Last Junior Year by Barbara Morgenroth

For non-fiction I'd suggest
    Schooling for Young Riders by John Richard Young
    Happy Horsemanship, by Dorothy Pinch

http://www.ponydom.com/books/index.html
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Ahh I'm blanking now... what's the fiction one called that's about Eq Finals and the working student? Written by someone who ribboned at Eq Finals??? -- THE PERFECT DISTANCE by Kim Ablon Whitney... thank you Amazon recommendations

Judging Hunters and Hunt Seat Equitation is very, very good and has a detailed description of what she looks for in each Eq Test.

A Sunday Horse by Vicki Moon is also good, but maybe a little too adult.

Anyone have The Monday Horses or Last Junior Year?? They both look great... especially the second one. I'd really like to read them, but they're both pretty pricey on Amazon...

Quote Originally Posted by hideyourheart03 View Post
    Ahh I'm blanking now... what's the fiction one called that's about Eq Finals and the working student? Written by someone who ribboned at Eq Finals??? -- THE PERFECT DISTANCE by Kim Ablon Whitney... thank you Amazon recommendations

Judging Hunters and Hunt Seat Equitation is very, very good and has a detailed description of what she looks for in each Eq Test.

A Sunday Horse by Vicki Moon is also good, but maybe a little too adult.

Anyone have The Monday Horses or Last Junior Year?? They both look great... especially the second one. I'd really like to read them, but they're both pretty pricey on Amazon...
    I forgot The Perfect Distance - yes, another good one.

The Monday Horses is consistently among the top choices at ponydom.com and is a personal favorite. Last Junior Year is also excellent, though a bit harder to find. I highly recommend both. Your library can almost certainly get you a copy of The Monday Horses, and very possibly can also find you Last Junior Year. Morgenroth's "Ride a Proud Horse" is also good, though not as good as Last Junior Year IMHO.

Horse fiction database: http://www.ponydom.com/books/index.html
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

The Thoroughbred series was always a favorite of mine when I was younger. Its about a racing barn but still a really good series for any young person crazy about horses.

Fiction - Flying Changes & Riding Lessons by Sara Gruen (although teens might not appreciate these - great books for adults, though). I love this author!

For little people - the Princess Ellie the Pony Crazy Princess series by Diana Kimpton.
    A proud friend of bar.ka.

I am re-reading The Monday Horses right now. I LOVE that book and read it over and over as a kid. I still remember some of the lines perfectly. The Crumb is another excellent fiction book by Jean Slaughter Doty.

Randy Roy has written some great books on judging. I have The Judge Is Back and find it very informative and enjoyable.

i LOVED this book called "Shadow Horse" by Alison Hart when I was in middle school. Kind of a murder-mystery insurance fraud deal set in a show barn.

I **highly** recommend the books Dancer and Abby Malone by Shelley Peterson. Dancer is about a show jumper, Abby Malone is about fox hunting. It also appears that Shelley has written two more follow ups... Stagestruck and Sundancer. I read Stagestruck, I think it was about eventing. I have no clue what Sundancer is about.
    CLIPclop Bodyclipping by Morgan
    Serving North GA with high quality clips.
    --> Just Press Start // '99 Oldenburg
    --> Always The Optimist (reg. Simply Stylin) // '02 Thoroughbred

Geoff Tealls books is an excellent read.
    GM- HSE
    AJWM- Winning

Can't think of any good ficition- Monday Horses, definitely. Everything I know is ADULT or very kiddie.
    The Perfect Distance is a good one.

Quote Originally Posted by chunky munky View Post
    For older students ( and professionals for that matter!) Riding Logic, Wilhelm Museler.
    Excellent, excellent suggestion. chunky munky, as usual, we are on the same page.

And while this is highly inappropriate for the young'uns but their moms might enjoy it as a beach read..."Riders" by Jilly Cooper

Mozart, I was just going to say RIDERS — forget Judy Blume's "Wifey," this is the perfect bonkbuster novel for horse-crazy teen girl, or anyone who was ever a horse-crazy teen girl. I get all tingly just thinking about Rupert and Jake thrusting powerfully toward those enormous oxers....
    "Go on, Bill — this is no place for a pony."

Quote Originally Posted by InWhyCee Redux View Post
    Mozart, I was just going to say RIDERS — forget Judy Blume's "Wifey," this is the perfect bonkbuster novel for horse-crazy teen girl, or anyone who was ever a horse-crazy teen girl. I get all tingly just thinking about Rupert and Jake thrusting powerfully toward those enormous oxers....
    I think the OP needs PG suggestions here, guys, and there are plenty of them available.

Age 10 is pretty young, and these aren't the OP's kids.

BTW, all the Marguerite Henry books are good, of course, but I suggested White Stallion of Lipizza because it has so much equitation in it, as opposed to just history.

Another good one in this age range is CW Anderson's Afraid to Ride.

Something to consider is not just 'fun' fiction reading, but picking books that will teach the lessons you want the kids to pick up unconsciously. So think about it: what kinds of skills and empathy and ideas do you especially want to develop in these kids? We can probably find you titles that will help.

You'll note I mixed in a couple of westerny titles as well - one thing books are good for is introducing a wide range of disciplines, and I think it's good for the kids to see that at the heart, horsemanship is horsemanship.

One of my favorite instructional books is How to Ride and Jump Your Best by Barbara Van Tuyl. It's kind of old, I think 60's or 70's, but good equitation never goes out of style.

Other really good books;
    Happy Horsemanship, Dorothy Pinch
    Hold Your Horses, Bonnie Timmons
    Dealing With Horses, J.F. Kelly

I know when I was younger I loved reading the Chestnut Hill and Heartland books. They're fiction, but I guess nice for younger kids that are just looking for books to read that are about horses.

Member of both the Southern California and Michigan clique - currently residing in Grand Rapids, MI

Default I was just thinking about...

Summer pony and winter pony today!

A good one that hasn't been mentioned is "Beat the Turtle Drum," by Constance Greene. Very sad, but a good one for pre-teens.

Kip had all of us read "Apropos" by Hans Seff (I'll have to double check this - I can't find the book at the moment). It's very short and concise, but amazingly powerful and accurate.