The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 6 123 ... LastLast

Default Rio fought the tie and survived

I often head out about an hour before sundown just for a relaxing ride in the evening, a beautiful way to end a day.
    Last edited by Shadow14; Apr. 29, 2009 at 08:51 PM.

Wow, you must have an old truck. No way in h3ll would I ever tie a horse to my $50,000 truck! I don't even want them walking near it.

Default LOL!

I never understood the need for a 50,000 truck. My 15, 000 truck is for hauling and it does that nicely. I sure wouldn't own something that expensive to have around horses and trailers and tractors.

Good for Rio, it sounds like he's learned some wonderful life lessons. I wish everyone was dedicated to teaching their horses the basics.

Quote Originally Posted by Auventera Two View Post
    Wow, you must have an old truck. No way in h3ll would I ever tie a horse to my $50,000 truck! I don't even want them walking near it.
    A2 my truck is older. A 97 dodge ram.
    Last edited by Shadow14; Apr. 29, 2009 at 08:51 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Cowboy View Post
    I

Good for Rio, it sounds like he's learned some wonderful life lessons. I wish everyone was dedicated to teaching their horses the basics.
    I am totally dedicated to his training.
    Last edited by Shadow14; Apr. 29, 2009 at 08:52 PM.

Shadow, your posts bother me for some reason I can't put my finger on. I think it's because the main themes are 'Look how wonderful I am' and 'see how I dominated my horse!'

Or maybe I'm just cranky.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow14 View Post
    It takes me about 1 1/2 years of dedicated effort to create a trained horse but at the end of this time he is made for life.
    After the description of your training methods, no he isn't a made horse. He's brain dead. A zombie.

Quote Originally Posted by kookicat View Post
    Shadow, your posts bother me for some reason I can't put my finger on. I think it's because the main themes are 'Look how wonderful I am' and 'see how I dominated my horse!'

Or maybe I'm just cranky.
    Is this forum not about sharing information??
    Last edited by Shadow14; Apr. 29, 2009 at 08:53 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Hoofprince in Mud View Post
    After the description of your training methods, no he isn't a made horse. He's brain dead. A zombie.

I am proud of the horses I create.

Guys it is just not worth the hassels of posting. I would do better to not try and help and just keep to myself.

This edited thread is quite the tease.

Cliff Notes version:

Shadow14 set up a little test/trap for his horse. He tied it to his truck and walked away. The horse pulled back a couple times, then stood there, having "learned to obey."

When some others took issue with Shadow's tone and his methods, he had a small hissy fit about how he's trained horses for 50 years and has learned a few things, then he deleted everything (read: took his toys and went home).

Got it. Thanks.

I always enjoy S14's posts, cried when his horse Shadow died, and enjoy hearing about Rio's training. I don't think he is bragging but works hard and is proud of the results. This particular thread was more about tying with an unbreakable tie and the pluses in doing that. People are certainly free to disagree! I hope he continues to share; I would miss his posts.

People are certainly free to disagree!

Are you sure about that?

Free implies the OP will listen respectfully and respond respectfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Mrs. Cowboy View Post
    I never understood the need for a 50,000 truck. My 15, 000 truck is for hauling and it does that nicely. I sure wouldn't own something that expensive to have around horses and trailers and tractors.
    Well I agree with you that there is probably no "need" for a nice truck but this is America and I can buy what I want!

I'm happy that my horses don't pull back. It's supremely annoying to own a horse that is constantly testing the rope. Rio tried it once and he might not ever try it again. Good thing he was tied hard and couldn't get away with anything!

Quote Originally Posted by Auventera Two View Post
    I'm happy that my horses don't pull back. It's supremely annoying to own a horse that is constantly testing the rope. Rio tried it once and he might not ever try it again. Good thing he was tied hard and couldn't get away with anything!

A2 Rio is tied daily and never tries pulling but his time he didn't know he was tied. The rope lay on the ground and with me present he normally just stands there but with me leaving he decided he could too and I gave him enough rope so he could hang himself so to speak. Off he walking , around the corner of the truck and heading for the barn when he was brought up short. It suprised him to find he was tied and he hit it hard.
    But he did return around the truck on his own and stood once again behind the tail gate. I feel he learned things aren't always as they seem so I better just stay put.

As for the truck some people have gorgous rigs, trailers worth more then my truck for sure but to me it just isn't important. My trailer is light weight aluminum , with soft springs and well maintained and my truck is also well maintained and does the job. I know you have a beautiful setup and like you said. This is America where you can have whatever your heart desires.

I could post a picture of the truck but I am sure you ladies wouldn't like it.

Did somebody drop this?

I often head out about an hour before sundown just for a relaxing ride in the evening, a beautiful way to end a day. When I return home I get off a little distance from home, loosen the saddle a lead Rio to the back of the truck where I keep my saddle. He ground ties so I unsaddle. I have a neck rope in the back of the truck, a very long one that I use for hand grazing. I clip it around his neck and slip the bridle.
    In the back of the truck, high on the back right corner I have a special tie ring, attached securely to the frame that no horse can pull out. I decided to tie Rio to this ring, giving him about 5 or 6 feet of slack, a bad idea most of the time but I wanted to give him enough rope that if he behaved he would not know that he was tied and walked away. Rio decided to leave when I left and walked around the truck heading for the barn. He was brought up short at the side of the truck and then went straight up and hit the rope hard. I could have interferred but I let him work it out and after 2 hard hits he walked back to the place I had left him and just stood.
    I pretended nothing had happen, returned to him, untied him and took him for grazing.
    What does this teach?? It teaches him to obey. He tried, knows he can't break loose and knows that standing still is the only option.
    I then take that same rope and put it around his left hind leg and hold it while he grazes. I have been dragged about 100 feet maximum by other horses but not Rio. He has learned quickly that the minute the leg goes tight to take a step backwards and pivot to his left and continue grazing.
    I watched him last night stretch is neck forward for a choice bite of grass and when that was not enough stretch is teethered leg back but not pull to reach the choice morsal but he never pulled and he would then step back and rotate to his left.
    He picked this up in a few days and it really makes hand grazing a horse easier then a rope snapped to the halter. No chance of stepping on it, no chance or wrapping a leg. I use a lawn chair, get a good book and just set the chair on the line and let him graze.
    He is learning to accept anything done to him.
    I often set him up , as a trail, almost daily to further his training. We have a round pen that is not used and I set obsticles in it to test and teach.
    Of coarse he must do the gate coming and going.
    "The Threat of Internet Ignorance: ... we are witnessing the rise of an age of equestrian disinformation, one where a trusting public can graze on nonsense packaged to look like fact."-LRG-AF

Quote Originally Posted by CatOnLap View Post
    Did somebody drop this?
    And why would anyone save a copy of my post????
    I only create "brain dead horse" so you wouldn't want to follow anything I said

Quote Originally Posted by Shadow14 View Post
    And why would anyone save a copy of my post????
    I only create "brain dead horse" so you wouldn't want to follow anything I said
    Oh, fer Chrissakes. I almost did the same thing. I happened to have the same page open in another window.

It's safe to assume that nothing you post on the Internet ever truly disappears.