The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Kerrits riding tights...

I'm a bit self conscious and I'm just wondering if these would show every ripple of cellulite.... anyone have these: http://www.doversaddlery.com/product..._pn_E_X1-53741

They are not thick. If you're self concious you might not like them- I get complements on mine all the time, though, and I'm hardly a skinny minny.

I am overweight and these looked HORRIBLE on me. The fabric is really thin (so unfortunately I'm sure they are extremely comfortable) so it didn't really help "hold" anything in.

Kerrits makes a breech out of a ribbed microfiber that is very nice. Hides the ripples, heavier than the original Kerrits fabric. Full seat or knee patch.
    L

These are very thin and yes, they do show every bump and ripple. They also do not last long, my beast brushed me on the fence and voila - huge hole on the knee. I liked them because they are soft and comfy, but would not recommend them to anyone, simply not worth the money. Did I mention the fabric on the butt is so flimsy it is see-through?
    If you like plaid pattern there are other more durable and nicer options from different brands.

I have a pair and they are my favorite breeches that I have ever owned. Seriously! VERY comfortable. I am not a skinny minnie--5'6" and size 12ish--but I don't think I look bad in them (their being black probably doesn't hurt.) Also, I get compliments on them all the time.
    I saw the angel in the marble and I set him free. - Michaelangelo

I've worn my Kerrits tights for warm weather riding for the past several years. No problems with them wearing out or tearing and they're much cooler than any of my other breeches.

That said, the fabric is thinner and reveals figure faults more than ribbed breeches, like Kerrits Microcords (another style I like). I'm 50+, 5'5" and around ~140#. I haven't noticed anyone pointing and laughing when I wear the tights. But, then I wouldn't care if they did.

I don't have the Kerrits tights, but I have the Irideon ones (see here: http://www.doversaddlery.com/irideon...35025/cn/1913/), which are very similiar (I think they may be made by the same "parent" company). I LOVE my Irideons but they aren't always flattering. I'm not a skinny minnie either (5'10" and err... not going there, but still within my limits for weight) but these tights are great, but do show every nook and cranny at times. But, I still love them. Very comfortable and very durable, in my experience. I've got a few pairs that are going on 4+ years of use and still look good. If you have a chance to try them on first, do that... I find them very comfortable but take some getting used to in the saddle because they are slicker then regular breeches.
    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
    See G2's blog
    Photos

Quote Originally Posted by lorilu View Post
    Kerrits makes a breech out of a ribbed microfiber that is very nice. Hides the ripples, heavier than the original Kerrits fabric. Full seat or knee patch.
    L
    The ribbed onces are great. They have a tummy panel that makes me look like I did when I was a junior. I love, love, love them.

Word of caution, though, they run very small. I wear an 8 in street clothes and usually take a small/medium. I'm a large in these..
    Life would be infinitely better if pinatas suddenly appeared throughout the day.

They're ok. Pretty comfortable although flimsy, and I agree with whoever said that the butt is see-through.

buy in black and you'll love them. all other colors, notsomuch.

signed a size 12/14 :0)

Quote Originally Posted by Wizard of Oz's View Post
    They're ok. Pretty comfortable although flimsy, and I agree with whoever said that the butt is see-through.
    I have the ones in black with the colored houndstooth panels, and they aren't see-through in the butt.

I love those tights! I've never had a problem with them being see-through and I've had lilac and light blue ones. They do show every lump and bump and they are a little slippery as others have mentioned. However, it took me 5 summers of heavy use to kill the lilac ones (and that was accomplished by a horse trying to scrape me off on a concrete wall, so no easy feat) and the blue ones are on their 3rd summer and doing great. Others in my barn wear the ones with plaid on the sides and the black fabric really doesn't show too much. They're a good value for the money.

I have worn them for years and adore them, they are so comfortable you will live in them. Perhaps I just haven't shopped around enough, but um, ANY breeches are basically stretch pants, and they're just not a flattering item. So just wear what's comfortable and don't worry about it, there is no pair out there that will make a size 12 look like a size 2 .

Depends on the fabric you choose. One pair enhanced my cottage cheese thighs and the other looked great. I'm not really that big, but they sure didn't hide anything. I still prefer my cavallo's and pikuers. Gave both pairs of Kerrits away.

If you really prefer tights over breeches (like I do), then the ones you want to hold things still are Saddlebums Racing Tights http://www.saddlebums.com/ractiglad.html

They're tough as nails. My 4 year old blue pair still look brand new, despite riding through bushes, briars and scraping fences. No runs, pulls or snags. So while some may go at the price, they're worth it because you're not replacing them every year.

They run very true to size...American size at that The waist stays up where it belongs and the ankles stay down where they belong. I do loff them. The owner will even do customization if you need, creating the pattern just for you to keep on file. I prefer mine with a full seat and a little higher rise. I asked and received.

Great folks to deal with.

ETA: if you need a plus size, they never charge extra either
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

I have the Kerrits sit tight in summer weight, and I think they look good--kind of a girdle-like quality. The ones with the houndstooth pattern looked horrible on me--I'm glad I tried them on at Dover's and didn't order them online!

I have a few pair of Kerrits tights - one "regular" weight, 2 summer weight. I liked them until I discovered Irideon tights. Now, summer weight tights are ok, I *hate* the regular weight tights (although I have had them for 8 years and they have not worn out at all!) FWIW, I do endurance riding, so I put a lot of miles in tights.

I have both the Kerrits (with drawstring) and the Irideon (the elastic waist low-rise style, as I am short and fluffy). While neither holds anything in, they are super-comfortable. The ribbed Irideons will give a better line, but I can't deal with wearing what feels like my grandmother's Playtex girdle....

Just curious — why the obsession with cellulite on this BB? Unless your breeches are one size too small or your trainer is staring fixedly at your backside, who is going to see those "ripples"? Having spent too much time on photo shoots and backstage at fashion shows, I assure that EVEN SUPERMODELS HAVE CELLULITE. Those dimples have everything to do with biology and almost nothing to do with fat. Embrace them. Or try to.
    "Go on, Bill — this is no place for a pony."

Just curious — why the obsession with cellulite on this BB? Unless your breeches are one size too small or your trainer is staring fixedly at your backside, who is going to see those "ripples"? Having spent too much time on photo shoots and backstage at fashion shows, I assure that EVEN SUPERMODELS HAVE CELLULITE. Those dimples have everything to do with biology and almost nothing to do with fat. Embrace them. Or try to.
    I refuse to embrace cellulite, mine or otherwise.

That said, with the tights, even if you buy them on the larger side... they're still tights, which means they're still clingy, which means they show everything.

Though, I do have a pair of the kerrits tights and think they're ridiculously comfy, I also think they're pretty hideous. Luckily, no one ever really sees me ride on our farm. Definitely prefer the black, dislike the houndstooth.