The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Masterson Station?

Hey,
    I live in Cincinnati, OH and would love to go school at Masterson Station in Lex... I've searched online but can't find anything, so I thought I'd ask here. How does it work? Do I just, like... go there and that's that? Is there a schedule of events anywhere or anything like that? Or certain places I can and can not go? Help please, thanks!

You can go anytime. However, there are some shows there that might interfere with your ride. Spring Bay HT was in April, so it is out of the way. On May 9th, Sayre School is having a CT, which will take up the dressage arenas and the jumping arena. On May 10th, there is a show jumping clinic with Gigi Winslett.

However, the cross country should be open for schooling, if you can find a place to park. Other than those dates, you can go and have run of the place.

It is a lovely place to school your dressage tests and cross country jumps. Also, it is a great gift to the equestrian community. Will you be going with someone? Because it is such a large park, it is always good to go with your instructor or a buddy.

Have fun!

It's a great place. For the sake of your fellow eventers, though, do think twice about going around if the ground is really muddy. Those hoofprints will be there for a LONG time--no ground crew to make them better.
    Click here before you buy.

also, KHP is having a schooling day this Sunday, May 3

I believe if you want the indoor arena to yourself - you have to reserve/rent it - otherwise, it is open to anyone. There are two dressage rings "on the hill" near the soccer fields, otherwise, there are two other outdoor rings near the indoor arena (in the back of the park).

Keep in mind, this is a government run operation. No one drags the arenas, or checks the footing very often - if at all. The indoor footing can be deep and dusty. There are usually jumps outside of the big arena, but sometimes, not!

On nice days and weekends, lots of people are out there - lots of soccer games.

Oh, in July, the Bluegrass Fair is out there - loud and crowded, stock car races at night.

Overall, it is a great place to go to expose your horse to different sights and sounds and you have the enclosed arenas to work in. If you feel comfortable, lots of places to walk/trot/canter in the open and also cross country jumps.

Have fun!

I've schooled and shown there. Last summer.

Cool place but I agree that unless there is a show coming up... the maintenance is "iffy".

Never been in the indoor. Only schooled cross country and stadium in the outdoor ring near the parking lot.

If you haven't been to Masterson for awhile, the Masterson Equestrian Trust has been working their tails off to see to it that the park is more maintained http://www.mastersonequestrian.org/ There are now two dressage rings and two pads where new rings will be added (or at least there will be warm-up areas with footing) at the top of the hill. The hunter ring (by the parking lot when you get to the equestrian part of the park) is getting pretty regular dragging as are the dressage rings. The hunter ring is where you're more apt to find stadium jumps. The indoor has been revamped and is in better shape than ever. You do need to make reservations if you plan to use it. There are also newer additions to the x-c course. Since you've never been there to school, when you enter the park off of Leestown Rd., you'll follow the drive all the way back to the first "T" and will turn left. From there, go to the first stop sign. The parking lot in front of you is a good place to park (the hunter ring is behind it with the field hunter x-c course beyond it) or you can turn right and go past the indoor to park on the left of the road under the big trees. That whole side of the park is the BN/ novice part. Training and prelim are on the left side of the road along where you cross the bridge when you're approaching the equestrian part of the park. The BN/ novice side footing is pretty good but the training/ prelim side can have some amazing gopher holes. Keep an eye to the ground wherever you are. Also be sure to lock your truck & tack room. Trucks have been broken into while folks have been riding. Enjoy your ride!!
    Last edited by FoxChaser; Apr. 28, 2009 at 05:22 PM.
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

If you use the park and want to help keep this great resource, please consider supporting the Masterson Equestrian Trust:

http://www.mastersonequestrian.org/

is there a water jump to school at there?
    Please visit the Donate page!

https://justworldeventer.squarespace.com

Yes and no. There is a BN/ novice water with banks and pass throughs as well as a training/ prelim water with the same, however there usually isn't water in them unless Spring Bay is going on or it is a scheduled schooling day. There is also a stream on the BN/ novice side that has water flowing through it this time of the year with a great crossing, so it is always available to school.
    Proud supporter of SprotHorseRiders.com

I ride there every week. It is an amazing gift to the community that we can ride for free there. The footing on the cross country course is usually great and it is a ton of fun!

So we can go any time? And how much is it?
    Please visit the Donate page!

https://justworldeventer.squarespace.com

It's free to ride anywhere on the park except the indoor arena. I think it costs $10 to ride in the indoor.