The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Wonder bit search

Does anyone know if anyone makes a "wonder bit" (meaning this- http://www.bitofbritain.com/Wonder_B...ink_p/1060.htm) with a SOLID plastic mouthpiece? I've looked around, including on some UK websites that have a great selection of bits, but can't seem to find anything. I can find Happy Mouth wonder bits, but they are jointed. I don't really care if it is Happy Mouth, Nathe, or just plain ol' rubber.

Vernon is really, really happy in his plastic mullen mouths, and after jumping him on Saturday in his dressage bit, I'm not sure I need to full on ring bit, but I also don't think I'll have quite enough in just the dressage bit on xc...the wonder bit idea seems like a nice happy medium. Currently he is doing the majority of his work in this- http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=751358236 and jumping in this- http://www.doversaddlery.com/product...&ids=751358236 - with two reins...bottom rein on the second ring. Any other thoughts on something in between this and his dee ring?

almost, and I'm not sure if the part in the middle is legal or not, it sounds from the discription like its not :\

http://www.adamshorsesupply.com/browse.cfm/4,7842.html

It's totally legal for jumping, which is what I'm looking for, but not a solid mouth. Thanks, though!

lol sorry, slow on the uptake - thought you said you wanted a rubber jointed duh. Haven't seen any solid mouth bevel/wonder bits, but maybe check out some of the euro sites, that type of bit is more popular over there I think.

YB- I have one made by happy mouth. I bought it on ebay uk I believe.

See here for the nathe, but it costs 236.00!!!!

http://www.equusport.com/category.php?category_id=122
    OTTBs rule, but spots are good too!

Not knowing exactly what feel you are going for and what his issues are - could just having one rein on the main bit ring or on the loop below help you out. Most of the ring bits don't have much effect when you put the reins on the lower loops without adding a curbstrap.
    1. Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future.

YB, one of my barnmates has a Wonder Bit like what you describe. Though the mouth is not a straight bar, it is not jointed and is a rubber coated bit. I will ask her where she got it.

Quote Originally Posted by Jleegriffith View Post
    Exactly! And after a little smarter googling, I found it at a online tack shop (in the UK, of course).

horsecents, the way the ring bit is set up now is working great, and I do NOT want to ride him with just one rein on a lower ring...way more bit than I need. When he gets tired or gets motoring on xc, he wants to get low and luggy. The lower rein on the ring bit allows me to smoothly correct him, and having the two reins allows me to more or less ride just off the snaffle rein the rest of the time. Going in just the snaffle I feel like I would be having to constantly rearrange him and fuss and probably start my set up far sooner...I rather have a wee bit more bit so we can get our set up done in as few strides as possible. I think the wonder bit design might give me the in between feeling I'm looking for (as he does occasionally over react to the whole ring bit thing). But he has been very, very happy and much nicer in a plastic straight bar than he ever was in anything with a joint (one or two), so I'm trying to stay with that.

It has worked very well for a horse similar to what you are describing. The hard part is finding the correct name..beval, wilkie or wonderbit I want a nathe or duo pelham or nathe/duo three ring bit. I stalk ebay like a crazy person but I get lots of Tb's with soft mouths who need just a tiny bit more so I love having the options of playing with the different mouthpieces.

YB- I am not using mine right now if you would like to try it.

I have this exact Nathe bit....http://www.equusport.com/item.php?it...ategory_id=122

I won't be needing it so if you are interested in purchasing it PM me, I'll let it go for cheap.

I understand what you're looking for. I would stick with the Happy Mouth mouthpiece because he might get too low with a more flexible mouth piece and harder to bring back up. I just switched my horse from a Happy Mouth mullen to a flexible rubber mullen (to promote even stronger contact with bit) and was told that they can learn to run through them after awhile. I do like the idea of the loop rings.
    1. Bozone (n.): The substance surrounding stupid people that stops bright ideas from penetrating. The bozone layer, unfortunately, shows little sign of breaking down in the near future.

YB, I asked my barnmate last night about her Wonder Bit. Turns out it is NOT a straight bar, but a jointed that she has wrapped with latex rubber to turn it into a straight rubber mouth. It works pretty well, she says, and I hadn't even noticed it *was* jointed.

So there's a possible thought for you if you can't find something you like.

It sounds like you found what you are looking for but, if not, try Sue at Fylde Saddlery (www.fyldesaddlery.co.uk). Apparently they invented the wilkie bit (the ring with the two loops) and will make one for you with any mouthpiece you want. They also have one with sleeves for the ring (the large wilkie) so it doesn't pinch your horses mouth. I got one with a slow twist and one with a regular snaffle and am very pleased. I'm pretty sure they can make one with a non-jointed mouth piece.

Thanks, everyone, for all the useful advice!

Steelerino, I am sending you a PM. Even if it isn't quite what I need, I never mind adding to our VERY, VERY large collection of bits (most of which gather dust and make for a nice show ).