The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Redland HT

Who's going? Why & why not ?

Sigh. Novice horsey has 3 shoes and an abscess that's fixing to pop. Seems VERY slim chance he'll be sound enough to put a shoe on by Sunday (on the other hand, my farrier is competing both days, so, er, yeah, I'd be willing to throw horsey on trailer and drive the 10 minutes to Redland to see if he could tolerate a shoe if he pops by then).

The big man -- no longer an only child

His new little brother

Going!

Big bad bay baby horse tomorrow in beginner novice with the boss. BOTH of mine on Sunday (that wasn't happening until we made a mildly rash decision about Paco going late last week!!!). We also have a client going on Sunday.

Should be fun. We couldn't take Paco schooling with the rest of the horses last week (can't leave him alone on the trailer or he'll implode), and haven't had time this week. He hasn't seen a xc fence in a year (unless you count our portables that are hanging out in the ring right now!!).

Sorry asterix about the baby horse. Apparently, abscesses are contagious. We had a run of them last month.

Good luck everyone! It is going to be a beautiful weekend.

Mark (my new guy) tomorrow in BN and Connor on Sunday in Novice. At least the weather is going to be nice .

If I ever manage to keep my horse sound through an entire winter, maybe I'll be there next year. Trainer says it's a good first recognized BN (not for horse, for me).

I'll be doing 30 minutes of walk w/ up to 5 minutes of trot and competing in the "Exploding TB mare hand grazing" event.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Just got back from dropping off our trailer.

The place looks awesome!

I was told the footing is great, and the courses have been aerated.

And Joni the Smoothie Lady will be there!

Weather should be excellent. Only a 20% chance of rain after 2PM on Sunday.

Hope I didn't just jinx us.
    “Photography to the amateur is recreation, to the professional it is work, and hard work too, no matter how pleasurable it may be.”-Edward Weston

I'll be there sunday with the old man in ON with the bright and early ride time of 8:30. Bright orange chestnut wearing hot pink...we're pretty difficult to miss.

so excited that the smoothie lady will be there...the old man and I will have to split a smoothie after xc while we wait for our friends to go. What can I say, the old man lives on a show-day diet of smoothies, twizzlers, and peeps...whatever it takes to make the talent happy
    ~Drafties Clique~Sprite's Mom~ASB-loving eventer~
    www.gianthorse.photoreflect.com ~ http://photobucket.com/albums/v692/tarheelmd07/

horse still lame.
    sniff.
    <feeling sorry for self>
    Good weather, good footing. Haven't had that for years at Redland.
    Wah!!!

His new little brother

Haha, this is the event that started my thread: "Yup its an early one..."
    I'm leaving at 3AM...wonderful

I'll be there on Sunday with the greenie doing his first novice. Im in Novice Horse and I go at 8:06

haha wow im going at 8:24 on sunday getting u[p at 2 leaving at three as well it will be fun FIRST NOVICE EVER

OMG. I won't complain about leaving at 6 anymore....

Hollowed out volcano in the South Pacific.

Quote Originally Posted by yellowbritches View Post
    OMG. I won't complain about leaving at 6 anymore....
    Can I get that in writing?
    Thus do we growl that our big toes have, at this moment, been thrown up from below!

Quote Originally Posted by asterix View Post
    horse still lame.
    sniff.
    <feeling sorry for self>
    Good weather, good footing. Haven't had that for years at Redland.
    Wah!!!
    UGH!

SO sorry, asterix--this sucks!

Especially considering the rare and wonderful gift of good weather, for a change

What's your next HT with the boy??

Good luck to everyone, even though many already went today; I just happened onto this thread!
    "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

eh, he was 90% fixed on Sat so I am eating breakfast and headed out to check again. If he looks good, I'll haul him over and get the shoe tacked on...and see! Footing is terrific and the courses look nice!
    MCTA is up next for us...

His new little brother

I'm not sure, but I think asterix was warming up for dressage while I was warming up Paco. In fact, I think she was the horse ahead of me, but I'm not totally sure. He looked good, if it was the baby horse.

Vernon was a super star (as my friend said when I told her, "thanks, captain obvious"). Paco is a dressage horse. Did a nice dressage test, a little tense but very good. Went completely stark raving mad in show jumping warm up. Never even got in the ring.

Baby horse yesterday had a very good outing, though the score doesn't show it (he did get eliminated). He behaved very well and tried really hard, but was just really, really, really green on xc.

Well, I heard you out on xc on Vernon, so we were definitely there at the same time...actually, come to think of it, your boss asked me and my friend to, er, clear the area as we were doing a postmortem right after my test near the sand ring, so you probably were right there.

Yes, talk about good luck! My farrier brought his farrier rig to Redland because his daughter was showing and he had some shoes to make, so I just drove down, walked over to him, got horsey sorted out, jogged him around the field, and we agreed he was fine.

He was a bit stiff through his back and tracking left -- I imagine 4 days with a sore left foot might do that to you! Completely sound, but the judge did ding us a bit on some stiffness that is more than he usually shows.

But I'm not complaining, he was a total doll, decent score, and went on to jump both courses like a complete champ (ok, he really didn't like xc fence 7, which I was told made a number of novice horses go -- he is so genuine that he almost LITERALLY goes and as long as you kick or growl, he'll keep his feet moving. As he did today).

So nice to have such great footing!!!

yb, I must have missed the meltdown -- I saw no such thing! Perhaps it was after I jumped? What number were you?

His new little brother

Which one was Novice 7? I did the BN yesterday and i think Novice 7 was BN 8 and it def. backed a few people off..
    Proud owner of a Spicy mare!!

No, it was not shared with BN -- you guys went through the fence line after doing the top loop -- N and T jumped a white coop with a little straw stuffing IN that same fence line...
    which one was BN 8?

His new little brother

yellowbritches- saw u today, and almost said hi. my horse and I were the skinny chestnut that was by the girl parked next you you

I guess I chickened out. Ha. That would figure.

Great outing for the green bean. A very good school for him. HORRIBLE dressage test, he was high as a kite. bucking and carrying on in warmup(damn OTTB) But I rode him in warmup a little afterward, until he settled, so he learned that that behavior is not acceptable.

Stadium he was a superstar. High as a small kite, settled a lot.

XC was wonderful. He was so great. 2 stops at the water, but it was partially my fault, and he is still a bit green to the whole water scene.
    So overall, I say a good day for baby's first novice