The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Cause of death established for Kingpin

Could not find this already posted.

http://www.horsetalk.co.nz/news/2009/04/169.shtml

<< Dr Christiana Ober, the Canadian Eventing Team veterinarian, said King Pin suffered a hemorrhage of the large vessels in the abdomen, unrelated to any jumping effort or trauma. "This is a very rare condition and the actual cause is unknown," she said. >>

And I'm fine with moving this to Horse Health if that is better.
    one oak, lots of canyons

http://horsesportnews.wordpress.com/

I wish she had had added "as far as we know" after "unrelated to any jumping effort or trauma".

What a beautiful photo with the article, such a lovely keen face on that horse.
    Click here before you buy.

Thank you for posting this. I was one of the unfortunate few who happened to be there and saw the whole thing. Knowing this, I think will give peace in the heart to quite a few people.

Jill

That makes sense. Too bad it had to play out the way that it did.

Kingpin made a very valiant effort over his last fence.
    Some day I'm going to tell my grandkids that I am older than the internet and blow their minds.

Kingpin will be missed. Beautiful photo with the attached article.
    Just because I talk slow doesn't mean that I actually AM slow.

Default Kingpin

That is a lovely photo of his face in the jog picture.

Thanks for posting the results. It jives with my personal viewpoint from seeing the video. The jump itself never looked like the cause of the fall.

So sorry for Mike and family.

I too was there and knowing that it was not rider error and honestly nothing could have saved him makes me feel a lot better then the last 2 years of rider errors.....

RIP King Pin run with Teddy!!!!!!! and Le Samurai and The Quiet Man and Frodo....
    Last edited by ivy62; Apr. 28, 2009 at 02:26 PM.
    Mai Tai aka Tyler RIP March 1994-December 2011
    Grief is the price we pay for love- Gretchen Jackson
    "And here she comes. Is it a bird? Is it a plane? No, it's ZENYATTA!"

Nice to have it official. I'm sure that he was weakened by blood loss internally but still tried his best for Mike. Speculative, of course but that seems likely to me. I don't think non-eventers have any idea of the trust required for the partnership at that level particularly. Riders trust their lives to these horses every jump and, likewise, the horses have learned to trust their riders. It's really unbelievable, that partnership. Kingpins death is still a huge loss.

Quote Originally Posted by ivy62 View Post
    I too was there and knowing that it was not rider error and honestly nothing could have saved him makes me feel a lot better then the last 2 years of rider errors.....

RIP King Pin run with Teddy!!!!!!! and Le Samurai and The Quiet Man and Frodo....
    very haunting statement... very sad.

Quote Originally Posted by riderboy View Post
    Nice to have it official. I'm sure that he was weakened by blood loss internally but still tried his best for Mike. Speculative, of course but that seems likely to me. I don't think non-eventers have any idea of the trust required for the partnership at that level particularly. Riders trust their lives to these horses every jump and, likewise, the horses have learned to trust their riders. It's really unbelievable, that partnership. Kingpins death is still a huge loss.

Very true.
    “And live like you ain’t afraid to die. And don’t be scared, just enjoy your ride.” Chris Ledoux ~ The Ride

Quote Originally Posted by canyonoak View Post
    . . . . << Dr Christiana Ober, the Canadian Eventing Team veterinarian, said King Pin suffered a hemorrhage of the large vessels in the abdomen, unrelated to any jumping effort or trauma. "This is a very rare condition and the actual cause is unknown," she said. >> . . . .
    Thirty-some years ago, a veterinarian told me that these large blood vessel "defects/weaknesses" which eventually burst are caused by errant worm larvae moving through body tissues. The area of the aorta or other large vessels is not where worm larvae would normally travel but occasionally they are found in that area. His opinion was that these were events (worm larvae damage) that happened long before the blood vessel gave way. HOWEVER, other veterinarians that I have questioned have assured me that they don't believe this is true or a possible explanation. I do not know but I sure wonder.

We are doing a better job of worming these days (I hope) but we also have more resistant worms (in part due to frequent worming) & we are doing a much better job of being concerned as to why horses die & looking into that.

It is one of many possible explanations. I'm pretty sure that sort of degeneration of a vessel has fairly specific findings on necropsy, although I'm not 100% sure.
    Click here before you buy.

I'm not sure of the incidence, but verminous arteritis is a lot less common than it was before the advent of Ivermectin in the 1980s. It still occurs, but it's pretty rare.