The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Default Yours sounds like the headshaker I had

As far as the stress making it worse-- most likely because pain is heightened by stress.

I chased the problem for 3 years

Calmed it down to manageble by the following things.

Bought a guardian mask--- put it on as early as mar - oct 1 - he was turn out 24/ 7 no I did
    not leave it on a night.

Rode with a firm nose not over his muzzle connected from the caveson. I actually had a lip on caveson made to line the inside of my nice one. The pressure of the one with the nose net made it droop. So I had a leather gal make a slip on one.

Last but not least -- I gave melatonin. It tricked the brain , Remember this all starts in the pituitary---- only draw back is they grow thicker coat by August.

What helped me is I googled Equine Head shaking syndrome -
    It varies from horse to horse but what doesn't is the horse is uncomfortable.

My horse did the following

Shake in the field constantly

Would stand under the lean to when others were out in the field grazing

Scratched his head and muzzle on his legs horribly

looke horrible in the body condition

After I did these changes he never looked so good--
    I would definetly keep him on u-7 or consider papaya puree and aloe which is cheaper and for me more effective with ulcers.

Hope this helps it truly broke my heart with my horse.

Totally feel that chiropractic, or its inverse, stuff being out of alignment, is a contributor to the trigeminal nerve issue. Something is mildly or more so irritating that nerve, and then the allergy season and light season come along... boom! The nerve is pushed over the edge...

Pines4equines: you noted TMJ with your horse. Have you noted any new or unusual degree of sensitivity around his head, especially along his jawline above the eye?

Would you also keep us posted? Wasn't today your ride?

Sweetpea: You posted: "Rode with a firm nose not over his muzzle connected from the caveson..." Don't understand this.?

Default Hay

I did ride today and here are some things I noted.

1. We rode alone. Much less stress then in a group. I also just walk. I hate to sound like an old lady but...I noticed he amps up the snorting, blowing and rubbing his face when we've started trotting/cantering in a group. Again, almost more like a stress thing.

2. I loosened the bit about 1 hole each side. Now, this is an older bridle and the spaces between the holes on the buckle are much larger/longer. It could have been lowered as much as about 1 1/2 inches all around, 3/4 inches each side. It's not too low, it just has no wrinkles at all around his mouth. (It's not so low that there is teeth clanging, it's just more comfortable to him in his mouth. This horse NEVER liked the two wrinkles thing.)

3. THe weather was about 65 here. And, we had had a major windstorm last night...maybe cleared out the air? When I rode last and he was a maniac about the itching, snorting and blowing, we had a heat wave. It was 85 and you could almost see the pollen in the air. Today, it was clear and cool.

4. Since we were riding alone, I was on the buckle the whole way. No rating or adjusting from being too close to another horse. I know this bothers his TMJ.

We only had about 6 very slight, almost unnoticeable ticks with his head, NO rubbing of his face on his legs and no explosive behavior which I really felt was due to this stuff. We were out about 1 3/4 hours.

I have the nose guard on order. I am having my local tack store order the Cashel Quiet Ride Nose Guard. I'm also going to start him on MSM. I want to supplement one at a time to see if I can fix this with the least amount of supplementation.

Again, it was a perfect ride tonight. I go out tomorrow with a group of people and we'll see if there's a change when in a stressful situation. The weather will be 65 again. The only stresser will be other horses and if I'm behind, the constant need to rate. He is a much faster walker than the crowd I go out with. So if I'm behind, it's a constant rate to keep him slow and off other's butts.

Thanks for asking all!
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook

Default oops I meant nose net!!!!

I also had good and horrible days but if it is truly from the irritaion of the trigeminal nerve that has to be quieted down to really see a difference.

For my horse before I really knew what I was dealing with he had allergies horrible feet and looked icky. But usually these sytoms did not really happen until about May .

So once I knew what I was dealing with I started early in the year with prevention.
    Melatonin Was the main trick as far as meds.

Quote Originally Posted by pines4equines View Post
    I did ride today and here are some things I noted.

1. We rode alone. Much less stress then in a group. I also just walk. I hate to sound like an old lady but...I noticed he amps up the snorting, blowing and rubbing his face when we've started trotting/cantering in a group. Again, almost more like a stress thing.
    Or an increase in respirations [influx of allergens of clearing of same?] and increased movement of mucous?

June I sold pharma for years- allergies and migraines [trig nerve]
    I am also an allergy and migraine sufferer.
    The inflammation that can occur from allergies can trigger migraines in humans, I would imagine a similar cascade of events could/does happen in horses.
    Barometric pressure could also be at play- the warmer days this past week my allergies were worse, these past few days of cooler, overcast is better for me. Barometric pressure can also trigger a migraine in me... not unheard of.

Interesting isn't it? Hope Beasely is feel better soon.

Default Hay

We went out today and he was pretty good however again we were cool. Again, I have the face mask on order. I will add MSM to his feed and see if that lessens the degree of difficulty.

Angela: Did you see that there is a FREE reining demo this weekend at that new farm on 207 across from Noble Coffee Roasters! Below are details as I just opened a new thread in Off Course. If you've never seen one of those sliding stops those reiners do, you have to come to this free demo this weekend!!! If you do come, grab me and say "Hay Pines4equines!"

FREE REINING DEMO & CLINIC this weekend, MAY 2 - 3! For more info, phone: 845-294-3662 or e-mail: lynbjohnson@aol.com.

OPEN TO THE PUBLIC AND ALL HORSE PEOPLE, ALL ARE INVITED TO THE WORLD OF REINING IN ORANGE COUNTY, NY with THREE WORLD CLASS REINERS!

RAIN OR SHINE - largest indoor in Orange County, NY.

Grand Opening of Santa Hill Ranch in Campbell Hall, NY. Saturday and Sunday, May 2 - 3 with a FREE demo and clinic with three of the nation's leading Reiners! Open to the public!

EVENT:
    We are very lucky to have three very gifted reiners: The number one reining rider in the world, Shawn Flarida, along with World Champion Scott McCutheon and Santa Hill head trainer, million dollar rider Craig Johnson combine thier knowlege for a one day free clinic on maximizing your riding potential.

Santa Hill Ranch's owner, Bob Santagata, is announcing the grand opening of his newly completed Santa Hill Ranch. Everyone is invite to visit the facilities and learn from three of the reining industries most succesful professionals. Santa Hill is committed to being one of the world's foremost training and learning centers devoted to elevating both horse and rider knowlege. Just one hour from New York City nestled in the beautiful and historic Hudson Valley.

SATURDAY SCHEDULE:
    9:00 AM: - The event begins Saturday at 9AM with a magical morning as Shawn, Craig and Scott demonstrate thier ideas on everything from basics to finished development.
    Noon: Lunch - There will be drawings and food on Saturday.
    1:00 PM: The three trainers will coach a group of invited high level riders.
    The cost for Saturday is FREE!!!

SUNDAY SCHEDULE:
    Sunday the huge heated indoor arena will be available for a reining schooling show. Each horse and rider will have a time to train individually in the arena with the opportunity to work on whatever they want. Many slots are available yet are expected to go fast. Please call ahead to reserve yours.
    The cost of for Sunday to ride is $25.00. Spectators: FREE!

PUBLICITY:
    -RFD TV: This event is so special that RFD TV's equestrian program "Inside Reining" will be on hand to produce a show highlighting the clinic and Santa Hill Ranch to be aired at a future date.
    -HORSE TALK RADIO: The radio show Horse Talk will be doing a remote radio show from the Santa HIll Ranch from 8-9AM. (You can come and give Peter a hard time in person!)

Again auditing both days is FREE and all are welcome!

Santa Hill Ranch
    3095 Route 207
    Campbell Hall NY 10916.

FOR INFO:
    Santa Hill Ranch, lynbjohnson@aol.com

Cell: 973 229-6004
    Farm phone: 845-294-3662
    More info:
    Santa Hill website (santahillranch.com)
    Craig Johnson's website (craigjohnsonreining.com).

Thank you and hope to see you all there this weekend. This is a super opportunity to see some world class reiners in action in probably one of the largest indoors on the east coast!
    Sorry! But that barn smell is my aromatherapy!
    One of our horsey bumper stickers! www.horsehollowpress.com
    Add Very Funny Horse Bumper Stickers on facebook