The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Rescued "kattens" (older kittens) looking for homes! Baltimore, MD

I have three older kittens who were rescued from a feral cat colony about a month ago. They are probably around 5 months old, and were born outside and had never been touched by a human until a few weeks ago. Two are now quite friendly, one is still a little shy, although all three will still need a bit more work and a patient, animal-savvy new person to help them continue to acclimate to the cushy life of a housecat. They are probably not a good match for a household with children.

Two of the little guys are affectionately known as the Dumpster Kittens -- they were always seen scrounging for scraps around an elementary school dumpster. They are sisters, and it's pretty much impossible to tell them apart. I'm calling them Dora and Nora. Dora is quite friendly; Nora is still a bit shy. I just let them out of their crate yesterday to roam the basement -- Dora will come right up to me for attention, but Nora is still hiding a bit. They are brown tabbies with a little bit of white, already spayed, have their vaccinations, and are negative for FELV. I'd *love* to adopt them out as a pair, especially since Nora is on the shy side and would benefit from being able to follow her sister's lead. They seem to get along very well with other cats (I've found Dora curled up with one of my other adult fosters several times), and love to snuggle with each other.

The third kitten is Ramona, an absolutely adorable fluffy gray longhair. She is a matted mess, unfortunately, and should probably just be shaved, but I don't want to traumatize her or make her distrustful of people, so right now she's just going to stay a matted mess. She is a pistol -- very spunky, very inquisitive. She likes to nibble on your hand and grab it with her paws, but she's very gentle about it. (That's actually how I first got her to interact with me... she wouldn't let me pet her, but would use my hand as a toy. ) She had a respiratory infection when I first got her and was quite underweight (a 2 out of 5 on the BCS), but has done really well and is now a very happy and playful kitten! The picture of her below is from when she was first rescued (thus the bleary-eyed look) -- I need to get a more recent one of her, but she doesn't hold still very long! Like the other two, she is spayed, vaccinated, negative for FELV, etc.

These guys would do best in relatively quiet homes. They still need a bit of work -- I can pick them all up, but they're not crazy about the idea, so still need some more practice with that. Mostly, they just need time and patience, and lots of continued good experiences with people.

Willing to deliver anywhere within reasonable driving distance of Baltimore.

First picture below is Ramona, the next is Dora, and the third is Nora and Dora (but don't ask me which is which!). I'll hopefully have some more pics to add shortly.
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1575.jpg 
Views:	121 
Size:	44.5 KB 
ID:	24824   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1695.jpg 
Views:	86 
Size:	45.6 KB 
ID:	24825   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1700.jpg 
Views:	104 
Size:	56.9 KB 
ID:	24826  

you have a PM

Erin is offline Schoolmaster Premium Member
    Original Poster

Here's a pic of the new and improved Ramona, and another of Dora, who is kind of a ham.

farriergodmother (BEST username ever!), I have to run a kitty to the vet, but I'll reply to your PM in a bit!
    Attached Thumbnails Attached Thumbnails Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1720.jpg 
Views:	106 
Size:	49.4 KB 
ID:	24855   Click image for larger version. 

Name:	IMG_1721.jpg 
Views:	80 
Size:	54.3 KB 
ID:	24856  

Bumping this up in hopes someone takes Ramona before I tell you I'll meet you on 95 again!

Original Poster

Giving these guys a bump!

Dora is awesome -- a little shy with strangers, but warms up quickly and SUPER affectionate! You'd never know she was a feral kitten! Nora is coming along, but still needs a bit more work.

Original Poster

Another bump for the kattens!

Still hoping Dora and Nora can find a home together. Dora would be easy to place by herself, but Nora I think really needs her sister to help her learn to trust people more. She likes to be petted, but is still a little wary.

And Ramona is just a hoot! She's very inquisitive and is always following me around to watch me do stuff. I believe her dad was also rescued from the same site -- he's a *gorgeous* gray longhair (who hopefully will be adopted very shortly!) with a great temperament.

Ramona still needs her mats tended to, but I wanted to get some better pictures of her before giving her a terrible haircut. :P