The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Not just Polo Ponies... :(

On Friday April 24th, in Wellington, a woman was getting ready for a the hrosemans show (PBCHA) and while schooling in the jumper ring, chipped the jump and popped out of the tack. She hung on for as long as possible, but was unable to stay on. She fell from his neck, and landed underneath her horse. She was stepped on by the horse in her chest. She was trauma hawked to Delray Medical Center... where they attempted to recusitate her to no avail. She died almost instantly, and will be missed. She lived for riding, and died doing what she loved the most....

Here name was Serena. She leaves behind her family, including a 13 year old daughter.

Please keep her and her family in your prayers. For some reason this hasnt been televised or been in the news papers, because everyone is still covering the deaths of the polo ponies... It is getting ridiculous... that polo ponies that have died are being put over the death of a great woman, mother and friend...

((hugs)) for you on the loss of your friend and jingles and prayers for her family.
    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
    Bernard M. Baruch

Quote Originally Posted by Individualblue07 View Post

Here name was Serena. She leaves behind her family, including a 13 year old daughter.

Please keep her and her family in your prayers. For some reason this hasnt been televised or been in the news papers, because everyone is still covering the deaths of the polo ponies... It is getting ridiculous... that polo ponies that have died are being put over the death of a great woman, mother and friend...
    Maybe it's best for the privacy of her family that it's not being sensationalized in the news. So sorry for such a tragic loss.

I was just about to say that-maybe the family asked for privacy.

I don't think in any way that the loss of 21 ponies trumps the death one one person. My guess is that is bigger news in Florida, where it occurred , but elsewhere, reporters are focusing on the ponies because it is a criminal investigation, and is going to lead to serious ramifications. Officials have been after vets who write scripts without seeing patients and do not want owners to have medications in their possession unless it is the exact amounts the vet prescribed (ex-one 10cc dose of banamine for one specific situation not a bottle of banamine on hand.) And from what I've heard, the vet who wrote that script has been under investigation for other suspicious activity (with writing out scripts.)

I am very, very sorry about the loss of your friend. It was a horrible accident. My heart goes out to her family and friends.

Thank you all for your kind words. I only stated that about the polo ponies because the accident happened less than a mile away from the lechuza barn and yet it still has not appeared in the news papers or on the news. Many people know that something happened, but no one is really willing to share the news. I still have people calling me to make sure that it wasnt me.

Anyways... This is such a tragedy and she will be missed. I only had the honor of meeting Serena a couple of times briefly at the shows, but she was a great person.

Godspeed Serena. Jingles for her family and friends.
    Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
    http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

We already had this over on H/J last week. Condolences, of course, but I believe they wish to keep it private.

There are probably 3/5k+ horses in Wellington and still multiple competitions every weekend. It is tragic but accidents are very rare.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

I imagine her family prefers not to be the "if it bleeds, it leads" story of the evening news. I know I'd prefer not to be the novelty story if something happened to me.

I'm so sorry for your friend and her family...seems like some accidents are so quick and so serious...any other time she'd just have been dented.

Prayers for her friends and family.

Quote Originally Posted by Individualblue07 View Post

I think its a little silly that you're upset that someone's death hasn't been publicized. The polo pony tragedy involved more than a dozen horses, and really was NEWS. Something that needed to be reported!

Unfortunately, people fall off horses often. Sometimes they sustain life threatening or ending injuries, but not exactly something that should be posted on CNN.

Condolences to her family, and I hope the privacy helps their healing.

I did not mean for my comment to sound as if i want the news to be publicized all over the news. I mearly meant that it would have been nice for them to put something small and nice about her in the local news and papers... about what a great person she was.

I did not mean on a national level, it just would be nice to have something localy.

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

... it just would be nice to have something localy.
    Well then, why don't you become the catalyst???? Call the local paper(s) and ask if they would do a memorial piece on your friend??? Suggest some people that they might interview for the piece--I can't imagine that the family would have a problem with that....

It might help with the healing....
    "Marriage is like a deck of cards--it starts with two hearts and a diamond and after a while you wish you had a club and a spade." ~seen on an anniversary card~