The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Unhappy A Lovely Ride With a Lovely COTHer-SBT - Part 2 in which some of it was NOT so lovely

Well I knew SBT was moving from NY and gonna kinda/sorta be near me, but to hear that she was moving all of 20 minutes from me? Well that was just the bees knees! And being sick of riding alone, I invited her out to hit the Silver Comet Trail with me. Granted, aside from postings on COTH and FaceBook, she didn't know me from Adam's house cat, but figured I couldn't be all that bad, so in her little Neon, she found the barn.

We were slightly delayed in starting because I was helping my fellow boarder teach her 10 month old Palomino Paint that it was a good thing to get in the big red box. Once she pulled out the driveway, we tacked up and headed out.

It was a picture perfect day in Dallas GA: 80 degrees, gentle breeze, low humidity and clear/sunny skies. Ahhhhhhh.

SBT road my Clyde-X, Penny, and I was onboard my Percheron, Tank. Tank was quite happy to lead the way and show that a 17.3 DRAFT horse can passage', thank you very much

We chatted as we wound our way through the woods, ducking under low branches and maneuvering around the roots and rocks. Just one small spook at the mountain biker zipping past inside the tree line.

We arrived safely back about 40 minutes later and gave both horses a nice cool wash down. Say Hi! http://pets.webshots.com/photo/21675...15305252CYsEWN

A simple dinner of soaked beet pulp and Equipride (with a few treats as an appetizer) later, they were both turned out to their respective paddock & pasture for the night.

Alas, SBT locked her keys in her car! Soooo, she had her uber lovely mom come out with her spare. Twas a true delight to meet both of them and chat about church, kitties and how much we like the South and wouldn't EVER go back to NY

Hopefully in a few weeks, my trailering confidence will be better and I'll go get SBT's baby, Money, and she, Penny and I will hit the trail down the road a piece.
    Last edited by ChocoMare; May. 11, 2009 at 09:51 AM.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

It sounds like a great day. I would love to come ride with ya'll sometime!

How wonderful for you Susan. You have been dying to have a riding partner, yahoo.

Welcome to the south.
    Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

Lori, lemme know when Open House is. Sara (SBT) wants to come with me
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- "When they try to tell you these are your Golden years, don't believe 'em.... It's rust."

It WAS a blast! Except for locking my keys in my car, of course. That's what happens when a blonde wears breeches without pockets.

I have met/ridden a number of draft crosses, but none as lovely and well-schooled as Miss Penny. It was a really nice change to ride a horse who would rather walk than trot up a big hill. Self-preservation, that is exactly what my boy is lacking! Penny was Miss Manners, hacking on a loose rein, except for one moment when she did not want to wait for Tank (wanted all the food back at the barn for herself! Cuz she earned it more! ), and of course the mutant mountain biker who silently materialized out of the trees, for which I could not blame her one bit... *I* jumped too! Luckily we both jumped in the same direction. I was more impressed with what she DIDN'T spook at: a long skinny tree branch that snapped as we went by, and got stuck on my shirt. Penny didn't flinch even though it was hanging down her side and bumping her as she walked. GOOD girl!

Chocomare is every bit as wonderful as she comes across in her posts on COTH. She is a real horsewoman, educated and astute, and an excellent rider! Her barn is wonderful...nothing fancy, but incredibly functional, safe, and just plain beautiful. The girls (Tank and Penny) look great, and they each have an awesome Duett saddle to fit their wide backs.

And yes, Tank DOES passage when the mood strikes! And I don't mean jigging/prancing, but actual passage-ing, on the bit even. Big ol' draftie has no clue how fancy she is!

It was so much fun to connect with such a nice person/fellow COTHer/horsewoman, and to be able to ride such a nice horse on such a beautiful trail. I think it's safe to say that a great time was had by all, and that we will do it again soon! I can't wait to visit Sunkissed Acres too, and meet Lori and the kids! Awesomeness!

And Mr. Money definitely wants to meet Penny, but trail rides will have to wait until his back is feeling better. It's an ongoing issue(s)...

Awwww, shucks. Thanks! Now I'm all verklempt

While Money heals, my mares are always here for ya.

No need to be verklempt, as it's all quite true! Thanks for the offer too...ya know I'll be taking you up on it! Y'all won't be able to get rid of me now.

BTW, did you like your itty bitty thank-you gift?

Yes I did! Pssst...check your e-mail

LOL...wait a minute...you two will be a trail riding team on the horses Money, Penny? James Bond would be proud!

Sounds like a great time!
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Money, Penny. It just never dawned on me!

Hmmmm, too bad my two co-borders don't have a gelding named Bond. Can't do much with Brighton, Cruiser or Ruckus. Hmph. Since Ruckus is only 10 months old, maybe his mama will change his name for us, ya think? Naaaaaah.

Nope, got nothin'...Which email did you email?

MistyBlue: That never occurred to me either!

Well that just means you two both get to be Bond Girls.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Quote Originally Posted by SBT View Post
    Nope, got nothin'...Which email did you email?
    Oops, typo in the address. Fixed...take 2!

So since we were both in nead of Equine Therapy, Sara/SBT came back out on Saturday. We were fortunate that the weather cooperated, since thunderstorms were called for.

The ride was great. Warm, but with a nice breeze, and we worked at a good pace. On the way back, we picked it up a bit since both mares were feeling pretty good.

We were approaching the return to the farm entrance at a brisk trot, when Tank lost sight of Penny around a corner and wanted to gallop to catch up. Ummmm, homey ain't up to galloping on 17.3 hands of Percheron, so I pulled her up. She got mad, ripped the reins out of my (alas) ungloved hands, threw in a crow hop right as a biker WHIZZED by and she spooked at the same time. I went up about a foot off her back and hit the ground hard: right knee, hip, shoulder and my head. Oomph.

Layed there a while catching my breath and waiting for my right calf muscle to uncramp. Got up slowly to find that SBT had turned around, dismounted and caught Tank for me. She remounted Penny and asked if there was any way for me to remount. Uhhhh, nope. There is no way this 5' 6" fluffy old lady is able to get on 17.3 Tank without a bench or giant rock. Of course, no such aid was in sight.

Since we were just off the farm property, I walked back with T over 18 acres of hay field. Probably was a good thing. It kept me loose and allowed my adrenaline level to come down, so I avoided the shakes.

I spent Saturday evening icing my three worst parts at 20 minutes intervals and rubbing in copious amounts of Sore No More Gelotion. If you don't have a bottle of this stuff, get two: one for the barn and one for the house. It works!

Am very thankful to God that a) we were near the farm; b) I landed on the grass, NOT the concrete path; c) I had my helmet on and d) wasn't seriously injured.

New helmet will be here this week: http://www.hptack.com/catalog_i8607754. ... tId=297130

OUCH!!! Glad you are mostly OK.

ouch! hope you are feeling better quickly !
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by ChocoMare View Post

Am very thankful to God that a) we were near the farm; b) I landed on the grass, NOT the concrete path; c) I had my helmet on and d) wasn't seriously injured.

New helmet will be here this week: http://www.hptack.com/catalog_i8607754. ... tId=297130

ChocoMare - I'm very glad you were not seriously hurt. The fall I had last spring was on rock hard bluestone dust... yes... be VERY thankful you fell on the grass.

Hope you are 100% soon.

Thanks all.

Alas, Jess, I do believe this one has shaken my confidence with Tank.

See, I've had her five years but in that whole time, she's never been totally sound and healthy. The limited riding I've done with her has been ring or slowwwww trail. Now that I've got her diet right (metabolic issues) and am doing her trimming myself, she's got some real get up and go....even at 16 with hip arthritis.

So, I guess I'll be re-evaluating the mechanical hackamore and find some way to retrain her to accept a bit. I need to keep her head up, off her forehand and let her know that her old mom can only handle her trot.

Sucks gettin' old.

Oh no! Good for you for not breaking something. I know I would have! Take it easy and heal quick!
    RIP Full Metal Jacket "Jack" 1998 -2/27/09
    RIP Salisbury Hill "Ted" 1979-4/2/10
    "God have mercy on the man who doubts what he's sure of" -Springsteen