The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default A TB Mare for Sport Horse Breeding? Help Please

I just found this 9-year-old 15.3 hh, chestnut mare. What do you think of her pedigree if I bred her to the right stallion to produce a great a sport horse?

http://www.pedigreequery.com/littlebullsbullet

Doesn't anyone have anything to say?

You have a race bred (supposedly) TB. When discussing prospects for something other than racing, the pedigree has little to no relevance in my opinion. Does she look like she herself could make a nice sport horse? Why not find out and make her one before deciding whether to make another one like her?

Default Pedigree opinion

I really like all the Nashrullah in her bloodlines. Maybe a tad hot ???????

Could only really make an opinion about her sporthorse production abilities by looking at photographs and perhaps video.

I really like good distance TB lines crossed with warmbloods for sport.
    Georgia Langsam
    Team Gauguin, LLC - www.teamgauguin.com
    Standing Gauguin du Cheval 9054, Prestige II TG, Gauguin's Impression, Gauguin's Brush and Weltfrieden TG

I know nothing about TB pedigrees for racing -- but I know a little about them for sport breeding

None of the names up close jump out at me, but I like Nasrullah, his name is very common in sport pedigrees. My Babu is also good, he and another stallion, Turn-To, were considered very influential in this country for sport.

Less relevent, but kind of neat, is the mare Hevea, who was also a great-granddam of one of my own FEI dressage horses (an OTTB), on his sire's side.

There's some fun pedigree info for you
    Last edited by RiverOaksFarm; Apr. 27, 2009 at 10:46 PM. Reason: correcting connection My Babu / Bonfire
    River Oaks Farm - home of the Elite Book Friesian Sporthorse Grand Prix dressage stallion Lexington - sire of four consecutive FSA National Inspection Champions. Endorsing the FSA.

Quote Originally Posted by RiverOaksFarm View Post
    My Babu was the sire of Anky's Olympic Grand Prix dressage horse Olympic Bonfire
    Huh? Bonfire was sired by Welt As.

I did a quick google and came up with this which reads
    "My Babu (1945-1970) was one of the most influential sires in American breeding of show jumpers, eventers and hunters. His descendants include Bruce Davidson's former eventing mount JJ Babu, Anky van Grunsven's dressage horse Bonfire, and puissance and grand prix jumper Sympatico."
    and this which reads
    "The September 18, 1999 isue of Chronicle of the Horse singles out Turn-to (also in her pedigree) and My Babu as two of the greatest influences on the American hunter, jumper, and eventing worlds. In fact, descended from My Babu are Bruce Davidson's Olympic star JJ Babu, Anky Van Grunsven's Olympic dressage horse Bonfire, and 7'4" puissance jumper and grand prix superstar of the seventies Sympatico. "
    and this which says
    "My Babu (Fr): ancestor to Olympic and Pan Am horses: ... Dressage: Gestion Bonfire (Individual gold and team silver - 2000 Olympics)
    But yes, apparently the sire is Welt As.... so confusing! I've just always thought it was My Babu, apparently I've been wrong all along and the relation was much more distant, yikes. (I corrected my previous post so I don't add to the confusion, lol!)
    Last edited by RiverOaksFarm; Apr. 27, 2009 at 10:49 PM. Reason: (adding reference to previous post correction)
    River Oaks Farm - home of the Elite Book Friesian Sporthorse Grand Prix dressage stallion Lexington - sire of four consecutive FSA National Inspection Champions. Endorsing the FSA.

RiverOaksFarm, Bonfire was an Oldenburg by Welt As out of the mare Warine by Praefectus xx. That Praefectus xx was a My Babu xx grand son though his sire Primera xx.

Thanks

I'll correct my former post so I don't confuse anyone!

I wouldn't say no to two times Princequillo within the five first generations. Bold Ruler on the other hand is a chapter of something I usually call the muppet gene.

But if you can live with a bit of a temper you can get a really nice jumper out of his bloodlines. This is a 87.5% TB product out of 2x the muppet gene and he ain't that bad

Sicambre (his sire is from the same bloodline as Princequillo) is the sire of legendary Sacramento Song!!

Herbager is the grand sire on the mother line of Count Ivor a TB-stallion that have produced multiple approved SF-stallions and international show jumpers i.e. Ivor d'Helby SF and Uri II SF.

Tenerani is the sire of another legend in the racing world and that is Ribot. Ribot himself did excellent on the race track and was the farmost most succesful horse of breeder Federico Tesio. Ribot has a number of sons and grand sons that have produced world class eventers and there were three of four horses descending from the Ribot-line in the WEG of Jerez.

Polynesian is the great grand sire of Home Guard (he also contains the Bold Ruler line). Home Guard has produced Roman Guard who sired EMV Monaghan ISH who came third in eventing in the WEG in Rome and Sonnen Gold who is grand sire of the horse on the picture above and also another eventer who has competed Badminton trials.

In general there are some really hot bloodlines behind this horse.
    In riding a horse we borrow freedom!

Photography by. Eventing Photo and my fun farm at YouTube

Thanks everyone for giving me your information. This mare is priced very reasonably, but I was not looking for a TB; however, her bloodlines looked good to me.

i would say you can get a good breeding mare out of this one if you'd like to breed sport horses
    In riding a horse we borrow freedom!

Photography by. Eventing Photo and my fun farm at YouTube

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

Quote Originally Posted by equestrianism View Post
    I wouldn't say no to two times Princequillo within the five first generations. Bold Ruler on the other hand is a chapter of something I usually call the muppet gene.

But if you can live with a bit of a temper you can get a really nice jumper out of his bloodlines. This is a 87.5% TB product out of 2x the muppet gene and he ain't that bad

Sicambre (his sire is from the same bloodline as Princequillo) is the sire of legendary Sacramento Song!!

Herbager is the grand sire on the mother line of Count Ivor a TB-stallion that have produced multiple approved SF-stallions and international show jumpers i.e. Ivor d'Helby SF and Uri II SF.

Tenerani is the sire of another legend in the racing world and that is Ribot. Ribot himself did excellent on the race track and was the farmost most succesful horse of breeder Federico Tesio. Ribot has a number of sons and grand sons that have produced world class eventers and there were three of four horses descending from the Ribot-line in the WEG of Jerez.

Polynesian is the great grand sire of Home Guard (he also contains the Bold Ruler line). Home Guard has produced Roman Guard who sired EMV Monaghan ISH who came third in eventing in the WEG in Rome and Sonnen Gold who is grand sire of the horse on the picture above and also another eventer who has competed Badminton trials.

In general there are some really hot bloodlines behind this horse.
    Why do you call it the Muppet gene, and what do you mean by that? It seems so very expressive of SOMETHING, but I have no idea what.

Shantung is a very lovely horse to find in TBs for sport pedigrees. Princesse Reine is by Prince Chevalier, another of the Prince Rose sons who are so strong in sport horses--the others are Princequillo, and Prince Bio. Both Imbros and Tintagel are in Dr. Birdsall, while the mare, Broad Ripple is shown with about ten winning sport horse descendants. Beaver Street is also in Dr. Birdsall, and so is Destino. The mare Ace Card is also in several pedigrees of horses in his book, including the USET jumper Number One Spy.

As to Bold Ruler/Nasrullah/Nearco lines, more than just a few of them are temperamental in some form or another, some to the point of pure evilness. They do, however, tend to be very talented at running and jumping.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire