The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Unhappy

I just dropped the boys off to their new owner. I feel like a coward. I should have had them processed. Me is now beating the snot out of meself for taking the easy way out. No doubt I've contributed to backyard breeding, ruining the breed. Now that I'm not guarding myself I realize what I've done and hubby knows I have traumatized myself for life. I'm such a pansy.

JSwan and others who provide our food on a smaller, humane level, I salute you.
    "Concern for animals is a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher Stowe 1811-1896

Ponies are cool!

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    My most recent bright idea was to wear a halloween mask on the back of my head so he thinks I'm looking at him when my back is turned. Like what people do in tiger country. I have no self-respect left.
    Priceless. The best laugh I've had this year so far.
    "We need a pinned ears icon." -MysticOakRanch

1 members found this post helpful.

this is a great thread. Hysterical. Laughing like crazy.

J Swan...yes, "badminton". I get it..."birdie", "feathers". I sure was slow to get that one (duh!) You could do a Herriott-type book, only from a comical standpoint and make millions!

I had a hissy when a guy who worked for me accidentally let one of my ducks out, couldn't catch it then got inventive by catching it a fishing net. Could have killed him...but as they say "necessity is the mother of invention". Those of us who live on working farms know better than most the meaning of that phrase.

I've got to say this thread has been a breath of fresh air and a wonderful reminder how farm life tests the definition of the term "civilized"..(wink!). For all the hardships...sometimes you just gotta laugh!

I hope COTH archives this thread (and the one by Jilltx a few years ago) as a favorites for those on the "Farmer Forum".

Jswan, I laughed until I cried. Thank you.

I had a flock of hens --- over time they were all gotten by varmits (some by hawks, some by ground varmits - you could tell by the feathers left on the dirt) -- didn't seem quite right to get more just to feed the neighborhood beasts

a friend had gotten a bunch of chickens and wound up with a bunch of extra boys so they came to live with me (I missed having fowl around)

one by one, they were picked off -- all save for Beavis

it's been several years now and Beavis lives on

he runs to greet me at the gate when I get home from work, he follows me when I'm outside doing chores; he sits with me when I'm reading on the deck - he even follows me when I'm inside...whatever room I'm in I can look out the window and there's Beavis
    Nothing says "I love you" like a tractor. (Clydejumper)

The reports states, “Elizabeth reported that she accidently put down this pony, ........, at the show.”

Laughing my head off. Lil sis got 6 RIR chicks for her birthday last month, and I don't think she knows whether or not she got all hens or roos. The mental pic of her being chased around the yard by a crazy roo has me chuckling. Love her, but she can be a little full of herself sometimes. I have to remember to give her a call on the way home tonight and see how her lil darlins are doing.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Quote Originally Posted by seabreeze View Post
    Priceless. The best laugh I've had this year so far.
    I want to know if wearing the mask helps from being attached or not... and what face is the mask?
    If i'm posting on Coth, it's either raining so I can't ride or it's night time and I can't sleep.

Quote Originally Posted by Catersun View Post
    I want to know if wearing the mask helps from being attached or not... and what face is the mask?
    That was my latest "bright" idea - but I have not done it. It would mean I have absolutely no self-respect left.

I'm not sure a person could look more ridiculous... walking around with a tennis racket and a Halloween mask on the back of her head.

Given enough Scotch I could be persuaded to try it (only one beer was required to goad me into roaching my horse's mane many years ago, and 3 beers was sufficient for me to wrap myself in a sheet and belt out Sunrise, Sunset at an outdoor party).

But if I did - there is only one mask that I'd wear.

Colonel Sanders.

2 members found this post helpful.

Quote Originally Posted by JSwan View Post
    That was my latest "bright" idea - but I have not done it. It would mean I have absolutely no self-respect left.

I'm not sure a person could look more ridiculous... walking around with a tennis racket and a Halloween mask on the back of her head.

Given enough Scotch I could be persuaded to try it (only one beer was required to goad me into roaching my horse's mane many years ago, and 3 beers was sufficient for me to wrap myself in a sheet and belt out Sunrise, Sunset at an outdoor party).

But if I did - there is only one mask that I'd wear.

Colonel Sanders.
    Well you had BETTER post pics of that! Video would be even better.
    Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
    Witherun Farm
    http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

I really do have a lovely recipe for Coq au Vin. It traditionally is make from only roosters.

THANK YOU for the great laugh of the morning! I have six chickens and NO rooster, thank goodness.

It's so funny to hear people that won't eat their chickens cooking their rooster! When I picked up my chicks I asked the tough "chicken rancher" if he was able to butcher and eat his chickens... "Gosh no!", he exclaimed, "I just can't do it...the only time I ate one of my birds was when my nasty, ungrateful hand raised rooster kept attacking me.... him I cooked".

Of course, I can offer the simple solution to evil rooster problems...my Jack Russell Terrier Thistle, who is always ready for "flutter noms" (thanking Deuce kindly for that funny way of putting it).

My husband's grandparents were red clay tobacco farmers and always had chickens for eggs and meat. Bantam crosses. I asked him if the roosters were mean and he said no -- any mean ones would soon be put in the pot. Most of the roosters were fine with people. But the kids had to leave the chicks alone or the hens would come after them.

Default Evil roos

J Swan thank you for sharing Chucky with us. Do you have a picture of him? Thinking a nice flash of a camera may give you new powers over him.

ML

running into the clothes line almost had me falling off my chair