The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Red face JSwan...how do you deal w/Chucky??!!

Sniff, sniff. My rooster has turned on me. Raised the b*****d in the house for the first 14 weeks of his life. Hormones have kicked in and I swear he's stalking me. I was talking baby talk to him the other day, he was cocking his head hanging on my every word, turned around and the flogging began. Damn if I didn't wack and he came back for more.

His name WAS ROOfus and now I'm thinking it's Tyson. I've got 2 and the second one may be renamed Purdue as he's been eyeing me too.

Do I really need them to protect my hens??!!

Hubby grew up on a working farm and is used to eating the food he raised but he's having a hard time thinking about eating our roos.

The buggers weigh about 8#'s so doing the grabbing by the legs, turning them upside down, etc. just doesn't seem like any fun. I'd do it if I knew it would nip it in the bud. Time for dinner??!!
    "Concern for animals is a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher Stowe 1811-1896

Ponies are cool!

All that I can think of when you say the name "Chuckie" is that creepy horror movie. I only watched the ads when it first came out...could never watch the movie.

Can't imagine living with a rooster named Chuckie...he must be possessed! This reminds me of a fabulous thread posted by Jilltx a few years back about "El Pollo Diablo". Thought I'd wet my pants!

Ahhh, but Chucky is an appropriate name for a rooster. Short and evil, LOL!
    Have you seen Bride of Chucky? That one was pretty hilarious in a tacky way.
    Carrying them upside down helps some. With others it seems to make them pretty vindictive.
    Many times as a kid either myself or my siblings could be seen running shrieking through the backyard with a cheesed off rooster attached to use beating, pecking and spurring. All roosters we had were named Rex...I think Rex XIV was the worst that I remember...but then we did skip Rex XIII to make sure we didn't have a 13th rooster...that trick didn't work.
    I think JSwan's idea of using a tennis racket is pretty decent.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Oh I rue the day that I adopted Tucker ( short for Kentucky as in KFC) . His name should be *ucker, he is a bad ass rooster famous for his fly bys.
    I have kicked him like a football across the ring, he is less likely to attack me but not reformed.
    If you are timid about that method of rooster training then try a hose, nothing else seems to discourage him, I have advanced rooster training for the little kids that are really intimidated but the swift aggressive advance seems to register with this cock. I won't cook him and the playful moments he has with my large GS mix are priceless. We have thought about videoing the frolic of rooster/dog moments and putting it up on you tube but I would incur the wrath of PETA.

1 members found this post helpful.

Ya knows guys...it should be *required* that everyone on here with evil roosters HAS to video these antics and post them for us to laugh....erm...offer support for.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Windward Farm, Washougal, WA- our work in progress, our money pit, our home!

I have a lawn mower box full of baby Australorps and Delawares in my kitchen right now. I live in fear that one of them is a rooster. I've had hens my whole life, and we (family and now me) have avoided/eliminated them at the first opportunity. Good luck. It kind of oocks me out, thinking of eating fertilized eggs... (where's that sick icon when you need it??)

I've had luck just rehoming them to folks who love having them around. Or giving them to folks who eat them... I just can't do that to a chicken I've lovingly raised to lay me eggs for its life.
    Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

OMG, your post gave me the shivers . As a teen, I have a vivid recollection of trying to shoo the hens in the henhouse, and our rhode island red roosteer coming up behind me and driving both spurs into the muscle on either side of my spine. My dad had to pull him off me, and I made a trip to the ER to deal with the inch deep puncture wounds.

I HATE roosters!

Devil Roo doesn't have his spurs yet but I'm thinking farm life won't be as fun anymore with these roosters.

I know how I feel about rehoming vicious animals of any kind and don't know if I'm comfortable pawning him/them off on others. Sigh.
    "Concern for animals is a matter of taking the side of the weak against the strong, something the best people have always done." Harriet Beecher Stowe 1811-1896

Ponies are cool!

Eat him! Sorry, I'm not much help.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Last Wed. my daughter and granddaughters were up to the farm here I mentioned to her the two year old rooster had just started attacking me when I gathered eggs. She must have wanted a part in the movie " Cold Back Mountain " cause first thing she said was " Lets put him in a pot " and next thing I know thats where he was. Kids love gathering eggs getting attacked not so much, problem solved and supper cooking.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

We had a Blue Andalusian rooster that was the MEANEST creature I've ever met. He would attack, flog you and then strut off and crow. I kicked him across the yard many times and he'd just come back for more. If you chased him he'd run but as soon as you stopped he'd rush right back at you. A dog injured him and hubby put him down. I feel mean saying this but I didn't feel sorry for him.

My suggestion? Try a different breed. We have Polish, one white crested blue and one buff laced. They are the STUPIDEST, most COWARDLY roos I've ever met but they don't make me bleed so I like them

My experience has been once they start only death will stop them. Usually they are your "hand raised" roosters. Phoenix, Buttercup and Old English Games are particularly aggressive. My DH's really mad at me because I won't let him kill my Buttercup rooster, Speckles. Very, very aggressive.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f1...e/IMG_0462.jpg

Yup. Mean roosters land in the pot!!
    I have no time for bad behavior when it comes to chickens...
    -Jessica

Chucky is getting on my last nerve.

I know what the answer is. It's chicken and dumplings.

But my neighbor did the same to his evil rooster and then lost his flock soon after. Whatever his faults - that rooster keeps the hens together and near or under shelter - and always patrols when they're out in the open.

I really and truly do love animals, but I tell you plain - that rooster may be the most evil animal I have ever known.

It's one thing to have a fit of temper or be a bit protective - quite another to lie in wait and beat the crap out of a person when his back is turned.

I swear on the Bible this is what happens.

I open the back door and off in the distance I see a head pop up. I start putting up laundry, or maybe fill the water bowl... only to turn around to see that SOB has raced about 200 feet towards me. Fast little bas**rd.

As soon as he sees me, he freezes. Then he starts pecking the ground perfectly innocently.

Turn my back - and I hear pitter patter pitter patter - turn around - Chucky freezes about 10 feet from me.

I warn him to keep away from me - and he flares his neck feathers, puts his head down - and attacks.

Out comes my tennis racket. Ffffwwwwiiiing... and Chucky is booted away, unhurt.

SOB comes back for more - this time he flies up in the air with talons towards me.
    Fwwwwwiiing - I score another point.

Chucky gives me the evil eye and walks away.

That only lasts a few minutes, though. He's right back at it as soon as I turn my back, and God forbid I try and bend over. He weighs about 10-12 pounds - and when he hits you it really does hurt and bruise - especially if he spurs you.

Yesterday I cut the grass in the back yard and the SOB ran over and stood right in front of the mower. Can you believe that? I mean he just purposefully walked over and STOOD in the path of the mower.

Well... I stopped the mower and idled it - sitting there waiting for him to move out of the way.

Nope - he wanted ME to move out of the way. Then he flared his neck feathers and got ready to charge.

I put that mower in 6th gear and revved it - yelling - YOU UNGRATEFUL *!(*#)!!*&# I brought you into this world and I can take you out!!!!!!!!

And he hopped out of the way at the last second. I turned my head to see if he was going to attack me from behind and I ran right into the laundry line.

Not sure who won that particular battle but only one of us emerged with our dignity intact.

My most recent bright idea was to wear a halloween mask on the back of my head so he thinks I'm looking at him when my back is turned. Like what people do in tiger country. I have no self-respect left.

The answer to your question is that I have not found anything that will keep Chucky from not acting according to his nature. I bet he'd be one heck of a fighting cock.

He's going in the pot soon. Unless one of y'all have a better idea. For what it's worth - I did not handraise this flock and do not treat them like little feather children. My hens are nice and henlike - and the rooster is just acting like a rooster. He was supposed to be a Speckled Sussex... but the order got screwed up and he's either a RIR or maybe a Welsummer. Looks like RIR to me. Sure as he** acts like one.

5 members found this post helpful.

Default OMG, JSwan: my rooster was reincarnated and lives with you!!

Gosh that sounds familar.... Mine would actually wait at the bottom of the porch for me. I'm not sure why but he wouldn't chase me up onto the porch.

And if you bent over near him, he LOVED to jump on your back and flog you.

The hubby and I are both in law enforcement and probably a bit more paranoid than the average people, so those suprise attacks didn't go over very well....

As far as rooster effectiveness goes, I haven't lost a hen since that jerk went to the big coop in the sky... Our new roos are not near as evil but seem to do the job.

Quote Originally Posted by sunridge1 View Post
    My experience has been once they start only death will stop them. Usually they are your "hand raised" roosters. Phoenix, Buttercup and Old English Games are particularly aggressive. My DH's really mad at me because I won't let him kill my Buttercup rooster, Speckles. Very, very aggressive.

http://i45.photobucket.com/albums/f1...e/IMG_0462.jpg
    Not to change the subject but am I seeing blue laced red brahmas in that photo?

And to get back on the subject, I had a mille fluer roo. Thank gawd he was little as his name was boots but soon became bastard instead. He went down the street to a guy who wanted him for breeding. He did stalk us but was too damn small to cook. I mean he was like a 5 minute microwave job.

I have been told that fighting back at roos make them even worse. Of course what the heck are you supposed to do when they attack? I know a trash can lid works well
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Well, this really truly sound horrible and like animal abuse.. because it was..

when I was a kid we had chickens. They were my mothers whim one summer. Mind you, my mother really didn't go outside much. You get the idea.

Anyway, she BOUGHT a rooster. Big thing. My dad had to tell his hunting dogs to not kill it. So they ignored it. Eventually the rooster decided he was The Man. And he came after me.

I happened to be holding a riding crop; I had just gotten off my pony.

I have always been a fighter. 3 brothers, two older than me.. you come after me I will fight until the death (or 'til a parent catches you, as it were).

I dropped the reins and went after him. He fought for a few minutes and then decided to run. I was mad. My dads dogs were all at attention, waiting for the word.

I yelled GET HIM! And we all took off after his now former Bad Boy self. Chased him thru the barn and into a stall, 4 big hunting dogs of unknown parentage and I. He ran into the corner and stuck his head under the feeder. The dogs pulled all his tail feathers out trying to get him. He managed to squish himself into a very tiny hole under there.

Eventually we all gave up and left.

He came out the next day.

He was rather timid after that.

In retrospect I kinda feel bad but after reading all your stories maybe I don't. I think I was 7 or 8 years old.
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

2 members found this post helpful.

[quote=JSwan;

I really and truly do love animals, but I tell you plain - that rooster may be the most evil animal I have ever known.[/quote]
    JSwan you made me laugh and laugh and laugh. Thanks I needed that

Quote Originally Posted by ponygirl View Post
    Not to change the subject but am I seeing blue laced red brahmas in that photo?
    blue laced red wyandottes

These stories are great!

I never had a rooster... but I had a few hens...
    PotPie
    Nugget
    Noodle
    and Henrietta (the only nice one)
    www.hogbackhillfarm.com