The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Talk to Me About Woodside Preliminary

I've heard some conflicting information about the P XC course at Woodside Horse Park. Any opinions on the course would be helpful in regards to flow, height, terrain, studs, combinations, etc.

Thanks.

The omnibus says that the course is difficult for the level. Not a place that I would choose to move up. I haven't ridden it in a few years, but walked the course last year. To me it seemed that you needed a horse who was solid with all prelim questions - decent coffin, sunken road, big drop into water, water-to-water skinny, down bank to big skinny, both red and white flag corners that are in related distances with other fences, etc.

Woodside is rolling hills on dirt paths. You don't generally need studs unless it's rained within the past few days.

It's a great venue, and I'm definitely looking forward to seeing the $15k prelim challenge!

Thanks caevent for the reply. I don't plan on moving up there, however, it would be my second P after Shepherd Ranch. My horse and I former Low Jr. Jumpers turned eventers, so it's not usually scope that's a problem. We do plan on schooling there prior to the show, that's for sure. My horse is solid with corners, banks, and skinnies, though water he can still be sticky on now and again. He goes, but he will hesitate.

Any idea what the water complexes were like?

It's generally considerably harder than Shepherd, as in, one of the hardest Prelim courses in the area. If you have schooled it recently and you schooled all the hard questions, you should be fine, but if your horse has any issues with any of the fences it's probably better not to do it as your second Prelim.

It's generally considerably harder than Shepherd, as in, one of the hardest Prelim courses in the area. If you have schooled it recently and you schooled all the hard questions, you should be fine, but if your horse has any issues with any of the fences it's probably better not to do it as your second Prelim. The water combinations are generally challenging, and the Training water is harder than many water combinations for other Prelim course. I would say the training course at Woodside is harder than the Prelim course at Shepherd, although it depends on your horse of course.

Can you be more specific about the P waters? We have schooled them at Twin and Shepherd and felt comfortable with them first time through each. He used to hesitate/refuse at waters when we first started since, due to our jumper background, he was thinking, "Mom, there is no way I can jump that wide!" Other than the waters, we have not had any refusals on XC while schooling or in competition.

Beautiful Unicorns Mostly Prance.

there are a lot of drops on that course, but i thought it rode very well. Twin Rivers water,in my opinion is a little more difficult than woodside. One of the waters at woodside is a log, land on solid ground then into water gallop across then a skinny out..I can't remember the other water, but it wasn't too difficult. It is a fun course and hopefully it won't rain like it did when i was there last year. footing is very good and they do a very good job running it. Im going this year, and its going to be a lot of fun.

I'm not sure if it's completely up to date, since they do change things, but if you go to the virtual course walk here it should give you some idea. http://equinephotoart.exposuremanager.com/g/horseevents

The Training course usually has two waters, the first with a combination with a sizeable drop into water. Prelim usually has a pretty big drop into water and a jump set up in the middle of the water. I've ridden at Twin Rivers and Shepherd and thought both are easier, at both Training and Prelim. Shepherd is significantly easier, and Twin Rivers is more similar, although I think Woodside is harder. I've done Training several times at Woodside, and did Prelim quite a while ago. It depends a bit on how many Trainings you've done and how much Prelim you've schooled, but it's a much more technical course than Shepherd.

Quote Originally Posted by three_dayer View Post
    there are a lot of drops on that course, but i thought it rode very well. Twin Rivers water,in my opinion is a little more difficult than woodside. One of the waters at woodside is a log, land on solid ground then into water gallop across then a skinny out..I can't remember the other water, but it wasn't too difficult. It is a fun course and hopefully it won't rain like it did when i was there last year. footing is very good and they do a very good job running it. Im going this year, and its going to be a lot of fun.
    Very helpful, thank you. I feel very confident with both P Twin waters and the I water above (with the corner out), so I think I'll be okay there.

Quote Originally Posted by vali View Post
    I'm not sure if it's completely up to date, since they do change things, but if you go to the virtual course walk here it should give you some idea. http://equinephotoart.exposuremanager.com/g/horseevents

The Training course usually has two waters, the first with a combination with a sizeable drop into water. Prelim usually has a pretty big drop into water and a jump set up in the middle of the water. I've ridden at Twin Rivers and Shepherd and thought both are easier, at both Training and Prelim. Shepherd is significantly easier, and Twin Rivers is more similar, although I think Woodside is harder. I've done Training several times at Woodside, and did Prelim quite a while ago. It depends a bit on how many Trainings you've done and how much Prelim you've schooled, but it's a much more technical course than Shepherd.
    LOVED the virtual coursewalk. That was extremely helpful. I've ridden the full P courses at both Twin and Shepherd and didn't feel overfaced by either and have schooled a few I questions at Twin. Probably the one thing looking at the pictures was how big two of the later tables were, eeks! I'm sure Ed (my horse) will have no problem with them, though I may have a mental problem with them, if that makes sense.

Just a note - the organizers at Woodside have recently COMPLETELY changed the course around! It's running in the opposite direction, so I'm not sure how relevant the information above is (as I assume it may be from previous courses).

Suzie (it's Emily, by the way), I'd recommend you come and school it before August. Everything is changed around and the first time that they are opening the new FULL course is today (Saturday) and they are closing it on May 5th for the May HT (therefore no one has schooled the Prelim course, or at least not the whole thing).

My trainer is going out to CTETA sometime this week. If you'd like, I can ask her what the new Prelim course is like

Hey Em!

I'm not going to compete in P there till August, do you think the whole course will be open between May and then?

I heard the footing wasn't good at the moment. Have they fixed it up and would it be worth going out there to school before closing date?

only half the course is currently open at the moment, and of that half most prelim and up fences are closed. It seems they are playing their cards close to their vest for the May event... and making it a little difficult for locals to get schooled and ready for events elsewhere!

Hey all,
    Em is correct, beginning today (4/25) the WHOLE Woodside course is open for schooling (minus some particular fences I'm sure). Spoke to the folks at the horse park yesterday and was happy to hear it's open. Sure has been tough to warrant getting over there with what has been available

ALSO, as far as I know (from what I've seen when schooling) Training and below levels have new courses, they will run in the opposite direction from what they previously were. Looks like Prelim and above are relatively unchanged, at least as of right now.

Can't wait to jump some of those new fences!

Quote Originally Posted by TallyhoFarms View Post
    Hey all,
    Em is correct, beginning today (4/25) the WHOLE Woodside course is open for schooling (minus some particular fences I'm sure). Spoke to the folks at the horse park yesterday and was happy to hear it's open. Sure has been tough to warrant getting over there with what has been available

ALSO, as far as I know (from what I've seen when schooling) Training and below levels have new courses, they will run in the opposite direction from what they previously were. Looks like Prelim and above are relatively unchanged, at least as of right now.

Can't wait to jump some of those new fences!
    Oops, I wasn't aware that not everything had changed. I'm excited for the new Novice course though!

Quote Originally Posted by SuZQuzie View Post
    Hey Em!

I'm not going to compete in P there till August, do you think the whole course will be open between May and then?
    It *should* definitely be open as soon as the May event ends.

Don't know if this helps but I went and walked part of the beginner novice course this weekend and they have moved a number of jumps around. The footing is really nice in some places, a little packed in others, and awful where they just cut new paths. I am sure this will be fixed up in no time, but some of the paths were a pain to walk on even on foot. I have no yet competed at the horse park, May at the beginner novice is the current plan, but from jump judging a few times all the courses look fun.

The new course is pretty fair for a Prelim. I rode both Ram Tap and Galway Prelim's and althought i haven't shown woodside, i have schooled it and I think it is a bit more difficult than either of those two. I've been out there a couple times this last week since it's been open and it's stayed mostly the same, with a few fences moved around.

The big questions out there are the water lines, one is rails 4 stride bending left to a fairly large log drop into water, and a corner is at the edge of the water jumping out...it is also set at a slightly odd angle for now, who knows maybe it will change? the other water line is max height log piles/oxer 4 stride to rails landing in water, and they usually put a decent ( maybe training height) canoe in the water. I Think the coffin there is fair, a log one stride ditch one stride skinny log (log out is small). The sunken road is a canoe one stride down, 2 strides, up with a tight right bend, 2 strides to a skinny out. They have a couple other corners out there but they aren't big or in difficult lines, so shouldn't cause problems.

They have some good sized oxers, but it's pretty good course to gallop. Asks good questions, so if you're ready it should be really fun! I have seen the Prelim at Shephards, and it is quite a bit easier than Woodside's IMO. Hope this helps good luck!
    eventer do it
    ~3 ways 3 days~

I haven't seen the Woodside course in some time, but what makes the courses there difficult is the terrain - there are some pretty good downhill grades, and if you have any balance issues with downhills, you will have a problem at any level. You'll want a fair amount of experience galloping and jumping on a long downhill slope before you tackle prelim there. When you school, keep that in mind so that you practice some of the long downhills in their entirety, even if the actual jump takes place on a flat or uphill segment.

You won't need studs.
    If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Ha Suzie, you must tell me if you're going to Woodside.... Besides the fact that you'll be about 1/2 a mile from where your Penny lived while she was up here, I'd love to meet you and cheer you on. Oh yeah, I saw on HGS that you post here, and I am a member of COTH(a far more active on here!)

-Nicole