The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default MUST have for every horse owner - A Head Lamp!

OK. Raise your hand if you also have one of these in your vet supplies!

My new and yet-to-be-used handy-dandy $20 head lamp came to my recue when I had a lame yearling. I figured he had an abcess, so I sedated him, strapped on the head lamp and turned it on, and went to town working on his foot. Poor kid, he had a piece of what looked and sounded like petrified wood imbedded in his foot, with an abcess underneath. That head lamp really made treatment of that hoof underneath that baby so much better than with just that stall lighting.

Thankfully, the little guy is recovering well and the hole is filling in with granulation.

Thank you, misterheadlampdesignermakerguy, whoever you are!

I wouldn't be without one they come in mighty handy during planting and harvest season also working on equipment in the middle of the night. My daughter and SIL love them during hunting season walking out of the woods in the dark.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

pretty cost effective, too...
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I love my headlamp! Who has a spare hand to carry a flashlight around the farm? Mine is not-quite-bright-enough (it was a small cheap thing that I got just to try it out) so now that I'm sold on the concept I want to shop for something super-duper. Suggestions welcome!
    Arrange whatever pieces come your way. - Virginia Woolf

Did you know that if you say the word "GULLIBLE" really softly, it sounds like "ORANGES"?

The stars at night shine big and bright...

I have a cheap one I use for quick chores in the night, but a bright one like a streamlight would be mighty cool. I wonder if there is such a thing?
    "Right is right if nobody is right, and wrong is wrong if everybody is wrong."

-Archbishop Fulton Sheen

I use mine a lot when I ride at night. The one I like has both a couple of LED which I use to see branches befoe they slap me in the face, and a xenon bulb for when I need to see a little farther down the trail.

I have about 6 of them!! Also one that is flat with clips to attach to the peak of a cap - or in my case a riding hat.

They are even cheaper here - around $NZ8:00 ( and our dollar is only worth 1/2 yours) so I've treated them as disposable. All have LED lights.

And I too used one for feet recently - pulled a 3cm nail out of a mare's foot. She had an abscess burst on her rear heel, so I decided to dig from beneath and lo and behold!!! Not lame, never been lame, even jumping and road work - heaps of pus and yuk. And she doesn't even have shoes on. Nail had been there a long time - she had an older blow out too.

The stars at night shine big and bright...

. double post sorry.
    "Right is right if nobody is right, and wrong is wrong if everybody is wrong."

-Archbishop Fulton Sheen

I have one I picked up for $4 at Walmart, it is very bright and super handy. I store my hay way back inside a barn that has no lights, it was always a little dodgy getting back there without tripping, but I couldn't carry a flashlight and hay very easily. I've also used it for grooming and vet care after dark. I will not be without one now.

I have one which I use for riding at night. It isn't in with vet supplies, but handy enough to grab in trailer.

I have one and was severely mocked for it by a barnmate. But, huh, somehow... someone asked to borrow it in winter when it was dark and they had to go down the hill to the stalls with no lights to do blanket check?

Funny, that.

Until about a year ago, I always half-leased horses that lived outside. So when I wanted to find my dark bay horse in the dark in the winter time out in a danged field, the headlight was the BOMB. It is also so great for when you need to look at a foot or leg boo boo, particularly in the winter, when there is never good light in the barn.

Totally indispensable. have had one for years. And now have one at home. Great for finding things in the attic when your hands are full.

One does look like a knucklehead wearing them, however.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Quote Originally Posted by Lori B View Post
    One does look like a knucklehead wearing them, however.
    Snicker snicker...I could not agree with you more...but I still like mine too...enough to want a better/ stronger one next time.

I have two - I'd be lost without them!
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Smile Head lamp

Can anyone tell me where I can get one of these?

Headlamps ROCK! Of course, if you have zero electricity in your barn (like me!) and you arrive home at 6 pm, or later (like me) and you need to muck out your fambily's stalls (like me) ... you just can't do it without a headlamp.

A new use, however: you know when you lose something in the car ... a slip of paper, or maybe your wallet? Strap on that old HL, folks. You can see into every nook and cranny underneath the seats, in the back, by the console ... etc. etc. etc.

I KNOW I look like a dork in my headlamp. But my horses have NEVER complained ... not even once!

Oh, and BTW, Wal-Mart is your FRIEND. They have half a dozen different strengths and sizes. I, of course, picked the largest and brightest ... so it looks like I've got a casaba melon on my forehead. But boy, can I SEE in the dark!
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders

Surely you mean for more light bulb moments like this one ?!

Bayberry -- I got mine at Lowe's. They should be with the flashlights.
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

I have a clip on LED light I can slip on a visor or ballcap. Super nice for horse camping, wound checking, etc... get them at any sporting goods, hunting, etc store. Super cheap and slightly less goofy looking than a true headlamp

http://www.amazon.com/MasterVision-1.../dp/B001BDK4X8
    A conclusion is the place where you got tired of thinking. (Steven Wright)

Quote Originally Posted by BornToRide View Post
    Surely you mean for more light bulb moments like this one ?!
    Well, I don't know about that ... but nobody's going to keep me in the dark!!!

Quote Originally Posted by katarine View Post
    ...slightly less goofy looking than a true headlamp
    WIMP!
    "For God hates utterly
    The bray of bragging tongues."
    Sophocles, Antigone Spoken by the Leader of the Chorus of Theban Elders