The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Foal did not get colostrum, needed plasma.

On Tuesday, I was looking into my unbred mare's pasture and noticed a foal. After going outside, I determined that the foal belonged to a mare who had been checked open twice. I brought the mare up and examined the foal and she looked to be a bit early and was "off". I brought her the a Vet and her IGG was 0. I had her transfused yesterday. I am wondering if anyone has had this happen to their foals and if the foal survived after the transfusion? I have fallen in love with this little girl.

I don't have any experience to share, but wanted you to know that we are jingling for your foal!!!
    Worth A Shot Farm
    Finding the horse of your dreams, is always Worth A Shot!
    Visit our Website
    Join us on Facebook
    Watch us on Youtube

Congratulations on the little filly.
    Is the mare producing milk now? I will add my jingles for the little one.

Quote Originally Posted by genevieveg17 View Post
    Congratulations on the little filly.
    Is the mare producing milk now? I will add my jingles for the little one.

She is producing it. I am just hoping that the filly will do ok now.

Lisa

Sure they can survive this and it sounds like you have given the foal the best shot at survival. Congrats and jingles at the same time!

Had one that had to be transfused 3 times. She grew up just fine
    Holly
    www.ironhorsefrm.com
    Oldenburg foals and young prospects
    LIKE us on Facebook!

Had 2 foals this year who needed plasma. Both were full-term, out of experienced mares who never had a foal with low IgG. The foals nursed vigorously, so we were shocked when the IgG's were ZERO on the snap test, confirmed ZERO at Ohio State. One foal got 3 units of plasma, the second got 2 units. Both are vigorous and healthy at 4 and 6 weeks, respectively(and they're gorgeous)

I thought maybe the first one could be due to the Bio-Sponge I gave (I followed the label instructions...but some tests show that it can inhibit passive transfer...gotta read the fine print), so I knew not to give the Bio-Sponge to the second foal...but it made no difference...both were zero.

I'm saying prayers & jingling for your blessed surprise!

Jingles for your little surprise! Hope the transfusion works...it usually does! I love fillies, too!

www.emeraldspringequestrian.com

Default Thank you

Thank you everyone. I am checking on this filly every five minutes.

Many JINGLES from Sugarbrook Farm and all the ponies. Please keep us updated and I will keep her in my prayers.
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

Yup. My very first foal required a transfusion. He's now a healthy 8 year old.

Supposedly a lot of IgG's are low on foals born after April 1st and my vet said ths morning they have no idea why this is happening ...

I think she'll be fine because you reacted so quickly. She may need another unit to bring her up to speed but you are doing everything right for her ...

Let us all know how she comes along!

The transfusion should help a lot. Did the foal get one bag or two?

I would monitor temperature twice daily and keep a very keen eye out for a full bag on the mare that would indicate lack of nursing, any diarrhea, dehydration (eyes will appear a bit sunken) or any joint distention.

If you see any of those signs, call your vet. Your foal may need additional plasma and/or antibiotics and fluid therapy. Constant vigilance often pulls them through. Good luck!!!

Default Update

The filly seemed to be trying to nurse but was not able to latch on. She seemed to be getting dehydrated. I tried to bottle feed her but she was not willing to take the bottle. Just for the heck of it, we tried to see if she would drink from a bowl. She is drinking from one, but because of how far she is dehydrated my friend has her at her house so that they can feed her every two hours. Prayers still needed for her.

Has more bloodwork been done? What does the vet say? Did the vet recommend more plasma, IV fluids or tubing? How is her temperature? I'm sure you know, at this age aggressive treatment is key. Jingles!

Quote Originally Posted by bingbingbing View Post
    Has more bloodwork been done? What does the vet say? Did the vet recommend more plasma, IV fluids or tubing? How is her temperature? I'm sure you know, at this age aggressive treatment is key. Jingles!
    Vet said to check the temp once a day. It was 100.1, to watch for swollen joints, to make sure that she is nursing. I am having another Vet put in an IV line so that I can administer her fluids and meds. I know how easily they can crash at her age, so I am trying everything.

At this stage of the game, I want them up and nursing every 30 minutes so every 2 hours can be too big a window. It sounds like your making the right decision in placing the catheter and running fluids. Jingles!
    Silver Creek Farms - home of Apiro & Validation
    Visit us on facebook!

I agree 100% with showjumper on this one. I'd think every 2 hours is way too far apart at this stage of the game. I know as well when we've had compromised foals, I'll take temps on them 3 times a day to try and see a pattern and be aware of and stop something before it gets to critical stages

Hopefully this morning brings better news ...

Quote Originally Posted by TrueColours View Post
    I agree 100% with showjumper on this one. I'd think every 2 hours is way too far apart at this stage of the game. I know as well when we've had compromised foals, I'll take temps on them 3 times a day to try and see a pattern and be aware of and stop something before it gets to critical stages

Hopefully this morning brings better news ...
    We ended up feeding her every 20 minutes since she was willing to drink. She seemed to be getting better, but has crashed again this morning so we are off to the Vets.