The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Market for these bloodlines? Abdullah? Caddo Holly?-placed

I seldom stay from my pony world, but I have been asked to help a friend with a dispersal...I have heard of Abdullah of course.

What is the marketability for these lines as a broodmare? Who would I aim my efforts to as far as which direction would she be the most desired as a broodmare?

The mare has American Trakehner Assoc Papers 1996 model.
    She is by Abdullah out of a mare named Caddo Holly.
    Last edited by Windswept Stable; Apr. 26, 2009 at 08:05 PM. Reason: mare placed
    Windswept Stables-Specializing in Ponies
    Sales, Breaking,Training,Showing, Stud Service

Home of 2008 Sire of Year Reserve Champion
    Pony Hunter Breeding - Empires Power

www.EmpiresPower.com

Myself wouldn't mind the Abdullah bloodlines but I'd like to know the grand sire on the mothers side.
    In riding a horse we borrow freedom!

Photography by. Eventing Photo and my fun farm at YouTube

More than the dam sire, I would want to know the mare family. We know what Abdullah *Pg*E* brings to the equation, but the mare family will tell you more about the horse - where she comes from and where her best potential lies.
    ATA approved stallion Kovington *Ps*
    www.kovington.com

I think that would be this mare? http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/remember+me20
    RIP Adriane, aka Eyesontheground, 6/4/83-9/14/09
    Proudly owned by:
    Veronica II (Vienna Waltz/Woermann)

Quote Originally Posted by sniplover View Post
    I think that would be this mare? http://www.allbreedpedigree.com/remember+me20
    That is her pedigree - but her name is Abby.
    Must be her barn name? I have a copy of papers
    that say American Trakehner Association on them
    Certificate of Registration
    Anglo-trakenhner Division.

www.EmpiresPower.com

Joining in an area I know nothing about.........but thought I would add the only thing I do know. My farrier, many many years ago did all the "A" show stuff in the Tampa, and Wef area. He always told me never to breed anything to Abdullah because of his nasty disposition. That could be a complete bunch of crock, but its all I know. I, personally, loved to see him show. He looked amazing.
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

Just goes to show you how much one person can influence your judgement......

I met Abdullah on several occasions, one being the Washington International Horse Show, and found him always to be quiet and sweet and very rock solid in his temperament.
    Siegi Belz
    www.stalleuropa.com
    2007 KWPN-NA Breeder of the Year
    Dutch Warmbloods Made in the U. S. A.

Abdullah's temperment is just fine. Abdullah is however, known to throw some crooked front legs with a lot of paddling.

But if you are asking about marketability, Abdullah is a good name, but it is the mare that will sell the offspring with jumpers. Did the dam jump at a high level? If not, no marketability and just lump her in with all the other euro triangle trotters but not worth a bean in sport category.

I have trainers trying to GIVE me FOR FREE registered/branded wb mares that ACTUALLY competed in jumpers and did well.

If you wanted to GIVE HER FOR FREE, I wouldn't take her unless she was a money winner in sport.

No, she doesnt jump. I have just recently met her. She was sold a couple years ago to the current owners in foal, because she had a knee injury and could no longer jump. They want a little bit of nothing for her.
    She is not the sweetest mare in the barn, but she is not nasty. Her legs are not crooked. I dont think she paddles, but I would have to go back and have another look at her.

Like I said, I know ponies and am helping a family that has been friends of the family for a long time and wanted to get a feel for the market.

www.EmpiresPower.com

Abdullah*Pg**E* produced outstanding daughters. I had one as a broodie and she produced wonderful foals, who got her great temperament. She was one of my best mares.
    Depending on her personal confirmation and quality of movement, this mare might make a wonderful broodmare.

The problem is that right now, there is a major glut of breeding stock on the market "for free", and so the dollar value of all broodmares is in the dumpster.
    If she were a proven producer with an outstanding past show career, she might bring in a price tag. But as a "broodmare PROSPECT", their best bet is to find her a very good home, and not try to make money on her.
    Just my advice.
    Karousel Farms, Breeders of Fine Trakehner Sporthorses.

I am thinking Abdullah may end up being very well represented by his daughters as producers. I think (fuzzy memory) two grand prix jumper winners this past year in the USA were out of Abdullah daughters (Blue Danube (?) was one...). We have one that is a wonderful producer...however, as others have said the market is not going to help you out right now.

It has been said that Abdullah is a good broodmare producer. Since we know nothing of this mare's conformation it is hard to say but if it conformation is good you may be able to find a good home for her. An injured broodmare is not worth much in this market without a show record, etc...as others have said. She is also half TB which unfortunately makes her less valuable in her current situation. Has this mare been approved in the PSB book of the ATA? That might help with securing her a good home. The registration number on her papers would start with the letters PSB-.
    Altamont Sport Horses
    Trakehners * Knabstruppers * Appaloosa Sport Horses
    Home of stallions: Ambrosius af Asgard "Atlantis" & Hollywood Hot Spot
    Birmingham, AL

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Abdullah*Pg**E* produced outstanding daughters. I had one as a broodie and she produced wonderful foals, who got her great temperament. She was one of my best mares.
    One of my best mentors had a couple, and the above statement is dead on. The granddaughters were wonderful as well. Of course, they were out of fabulous TB marelines (Genesee Valley Hunters) but still... MY experience with the daughters is pretty much spot on with this. They produced hunters, jumpers and dressage horses as well, depending on whom they were then put to.
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Thanks to all for the replies and help.

She has two babies at the farm where I am helping with dispersal.
    One is a yearling and one is 4 yrs old. The 4 yr old is very attractive mare by Einstein and is being broken with sights on the hunter ring. ( Anyone know anything about Einstein --as I can not find him on the web? --I will make another thread on this.)

I do fear the state of the economy is going to certainly impact the marketability of this mare.

www.EmpiresPower.com

Quote Originally Posted by Windswept Stable View Post
    That is her pedigree - but her name is Abby.
    Must be her barn name? I have a copy of papers
    that say American Trakehner Association on them
    Certificate of Registration
    Anglo-trakenhner Division.
    If you go and look at Caddo Holly's progeny on allbreed, she's had 2 daughters by Abdullah. She has also been bred to two Quarter horse stallions- Slow Low Jet and Sonnys whiskey so her Abdullah daughter could very well of been bred to the QH stallion Einstein.
    Last edited by ponygirl; Feb. 2, 2009 at 09:20 AM. Reason: clarification
    "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Quote Originally Posted by ponygirl View Post
    If you go and look at Caddo Holly's progeny on allbreed, she's had 2 daughters by Abdullah. She has also been bred to two Quarter horse stallions- Slow Low Jet and Sonnys whiskey so her Abdullah daughter could very well of been bred to the QH stallion Einstein.
    Wow--thank you for your detective skills. That's great info.

www.EmpiresPower.com

I cannot help the OP with her marketability question but I can vouch for Abdullah's temperment. I went to camp close by Williamsburg Farm as a child and we all went to see him (I was maybe 12or so-it was a long time ago). He was a perfect gentleman with all the young girls swarming around him and quiet enough for us each to be able to have time with petting and posing for photos. He never put a hoof wrong.

Clarksdale, MS--the golden buckle on the cotton belt

The QH Einstein, if he is the one in question, is golden in reining. One of the very, very top stallions for that FEI discipline. They even use him in Germany for International horses, I do believe.
    "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
    Thread killer Extraordinaire

I don't actually know any Abdullah bred mares, but I know a stallion and a few geldings, and they are all nice horses. The stallion has lovely conformation and a very easy temperment, and is just starting to compete in jumpers with a pretty well known jumper trainer who has said he is true GP talent. While I agree, trainers are not forseers of the future, the horse is a nice enough, easy to handle stallion! Gotta agree with Seigi when she says Just goes to show you how much one person can influence your judgement.
    www.MysticOakRanch.com Friesian/Warmblood Crosses, the Ultimate Sporthorse
    Director, WTF Registry

I have an Abdullah granddaugher who I'm trying to find a breeding lease for. She has a great temperament, but so far I'm not getting a lot of hits. Mind you I've only had her listed for a week and a half. However her show career was limited so I think this and the fact that there are a lot of free broodmares with better credentials out there right now are going to make this a challenge.
    Colossal Productions and Web Design
    http://www.colossaldesign.ca