The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Default Toyota Tundra?

Please forgive the question. I've been in horses 30 years and never owned a truck because we've always had people trailer for us. However, now with 3 horses and a need to replace one of our vehicles, we are thinking of getting a truck. We are looking for something that we could haul to local shows, clinics, the beach to ride, etc. I would like to be able to tow a 4 horse GN stock.

Would a Toyota Tundra be up to a job like this?

Recommendations?

I was looking at the Tundra to pull a 2 horse GN and came to the conclusion, it wasn't up to snuff. I have a friend that pulls her 2 horse bumper pull with one and it rocks, but I love my GN and it's paid for, so will be looking at the more tried and true trucks for the job. I'm looking at Ford F250 as a minimum. Currently pull with a Dodge 3500 dually and it does great, but the tranny is start to get hitchy from years of hard use before I got it.

Good luck truck shopping; I'm right there with you.
    If you believe everything you read, better not read. -- Japanese Proverb

I use my 2001 Tundra to pull a 4-horse GN stock trailer that weighs 4500 lb empty, BUT (and this is a big but) at most it's loaded only with one pony, an ATV, a cart, and a marathon carriage.

Just that much puts me too close for comfort to max capacity, and I don't go to any shows that require driving over a mountain. Even going up slight inclines strains the truck a bit, but the tranny is still hanging in there like a champ. I maintain the truck and trailer very carefully with regards to brakes and tires, and I've had no problems except for lack of power. I oughta get a different truck, but the Tundra is paid for!

Love the truck's reliability and toughness; just wish it came with at least 3/4 ton power. The power is absolutely not adequate for hauling two or more horses with a 4-horse trailer. The only time I've used the truck to haul two horses was with a 2100 lb. bumper-pull 2-horse trailer--it was adequate for that.

Keep in mind, though, that we're talking 2001 model here; the newer ones might be better.

Quote Originally Posted by Come Shine View Post
    I would like to be able to tow a 4 horse GN stock.
    How much does your trailer weigh? How much does your load weigh?

Probably not, but nobody can tell you without detail. Some stock trailers are very light.

Thank you so much for the replies already.

It does not sound like my DH is going to get the truck he wants. It would need to be able to haul a fully loaded 4 horse - one being a 1500 lb 16.3 mare - and it doesn't sound like the Tundra would be the best choice for this job.

Thanks again for the help. Much appreciated.

Good idea. You need a "real" truck, not one with a deep voice, to pull that kind of load.

My 08' Tundra is rated to pull 10,300 lbs. I pull 2 horses and it's great. I'd want a much bigger truck to pull 4 horses.
    Oh my god - she's gone and got the eventing bug! I will send you some antibiotics! Take the entire bottle and do two hunter shows and it will pass!

2002 F-350 Lariat Superduty 7.3 Deisel Power Stroke, 4 Door, Grey Leather, heated seats. Fully Loaded with 8 ft. long box, tow package, 5-wheel ready.

Does this sound more appropriate?

2002 F-350 Lariat Superduty 7.3 Deisel Power Stroke, 4 Door, Grey Leather, heated seats. Fully Loaded with 8 ft. long box, tow package, 5-wheel ready.

YES!! I also have a 2005 model of this one Well, the husband does This is just what you need! Great truck for pulling, not the most comfy to drive daily though. Is it 4x4? Not that that matters too much unless you park loaded in a wet field.
    Oh my god - she's gone and got the eventing bug! I will send you some antibiotics! Take the entire bottle and do two hunter shows and it will pass!

Quote Originally Posted by Sparky Boy View Post
    This is just what you need!

Thanks! I'll pass this along to DH. Wish me luck!!

Our Toyota Tundra Crewmax pulls a 2-horse wonderfully. I know it would pull a 3-horse, but I wouldn't feel comfortable doing that frequently. I wouldn't pull a 4-horse with it. Other trucks are better designed to hold up to that kind of work.
    Gentleman J - "Junior" - My been-there, done-that jumper

Send Your Love - "Serena" - Aug 10th 2009, Rest in Peace

Yes I have an older 1991 model of the same truck. It should be fine for the stock trailer.
    <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

I'm certainly not a member of the "OMG you need a bigger truck" crowd. A Tundra, Chevy 1500 or Ford 150 is plenty good for hauling a 2-horse and the like.

That having been said, you don't want to haul a 4-horse trailer with a Tundra or any other 1/2 ton truck, even with the optional towing options installed. It can be dangerous to try it, and you'll certainly burn your transmission up in short order.

Ford F-250 or Chevy 2500 would be the absolute minimum, and one more step up, to a 350 or 3500 would be much better yet.

For reference, I've hauled a lot of cattle to a lot of places over the years and thus have some experience with hauling livestock and what sort of truck is needed for a given job.

Quote Originally Posted by MikeP View Post
    I'm certainly not a member of the "OMG you need a bigger truck" crowd.

... have some experience with hauling livestock and what sort of truck is needed for a given job.
    OHHHH! I totally want to be part of the OMG I need a bigger truck group.

Thank you for the input about trucks. That is exactly why I posted here.

Wow - this is so complicated and expensive to think about. No wonder I haven't bought one before.

I love the look of the Tundras too. I would like to be able to pull a 2 horse GN with a dressing room....does anyone out there pull this with a Tundra? I also need to get one that has back seats...I have never been inside a Tundra and wanted to see how roomy the back seats are..

Thanks in advance!

Short answer -- no, not for that trailer. For a two-horse, fine, if you just have excess money to spend. IME, the domestics will do the job for much less cost and much easier keeping (you can find Ford and Chevy parts ANYWHERE). I drive a lot of different trucks for work and have had a chance to "try" without "buy", LOL.

Make sure you check VERY CAREFULLY which turbocharger you have on a Ford truck. You need to do a little research before wading right in !

Quote Originally Posted by eks View Post
    I love the look of the Tundras too. I would like to be able to pull a 2 horse GN with a dressing room....does anyone out there pull this with a Tundra? I also need to get one that has back seats...I have never been inside a Tundra and wanted to see how roomy the back seats are..

Thanks in advance!
    I have the 4 door but not the crewmax. There's a ton of room in this truck. Get the 5.7L w/ 6 spd trans and it will pull a 2 hr GN w/ dressing room no problem. I'd think you'd have to get the standard or long bed for a GN.

I agree that these trucks are more expensive than domestics that will do the same job but I test drove ford and chevy and in my opinion the Tundra was by far a nicer truck.

Quote Originally Posted by eks View Post
    I also need to get one that has back seats...I have never been inside a Tundra and wanted to see how roomy the back seats are..

Thanks in advance!
    I can't speak to its towing ability, but the Tundra has a lovely lovely back seat. Very roomy. I have a couple friends that have them, and I usually have to ride in the back. There is plenty of room for me and the boyfriend (he's 6'4"...) Also, I do think they are quite sharp looking.

Default tundra towing

I prefer 3/4 ton.
    Last edited by HollysHobbies; May. 6, 2009 at 04:09 PM.