The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default To longe or to lunge?

So which is it, or are they both correct?

I was always taught that it's called a LONGE line, to use for LONGEING your horse. But I see gads of people "lunge" or "lounge" their horses. In my thinking, the LAST thing I want is my horse "loungeing," or worse yet, "lungeing" around at the end of my longe line!! But I see "lunge/lounge" so often that maybe I'm wrong in having mini-seizures every time I see it spelled the other ways.

Help me out here, because this is a major pet peeve... am I right ("longe/longeing") or are the different spellings considered acceptable?

Pet peeve here too. One longes a horse. One does lunges at a gym. One lounges in a chaise. All totally different things.

I remember reading somewhere once that the term "longe" comes from the old spelling of "long" and is basically a derivative of long lining.

Yup, longe and longeing. Eet ees from zee francais.

My horses are lounging - they just do nothing all day, and I wish they could lounge outside, but it is all water.

Yep, longe and longeing. Lungeing is what you do when you fence (with swords, not wire and posts)
    Founder of the Dyslexic Clique. Dyslexics of the world - UNTIE!!

Member: Incredible Invisbles

Once upon a time, I was taught that "longe" was correct.

After several decades in the horse business, I've stopped worrying about that particular spelling issue.

Longe is correct in certain parts of the world; lunge is current in other parts of the world. Lounge is not correct in either

Quote Originally Posted by Sue from Auckland View Post
    Longe is correct in certain parts of the world; lunge is current in other parts of the world. Lounge is not correct in either
    In which parts of the world is it considered correct? Serious question, not trying to be snarky...

My Oxford Canadian Dictionary gives "lunge" as the preferred spelling and "longe" as a variant.

Just like the fact that it is not a chaise lounge, but a chaise longue, or long chair (those loffly patio chairs that let us take naps in the sun )
    I would believe that longe comes from longue....and many people also call it long-lining a horse when they ground drive, so it makes sense!
    I am a stickler, and call it longeing.
    Dee
    Founder of the I LOFF my worrywart TB clique!
    Official member of the "I Sing Silly Songs to My Animals!" Clique
    http://wilddiamondintherough.blogspot.ca/

I've always gone with 'lunge' b/c that's the way it is spelled in every magazine I've ever seen. Dunno if it's 'correct' but if it's good enough for them...

I agree with the posters above. It's lunge or longe, but never lounge. Unless your horse is in an armchair at the end of the longe line or something...
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Aru Guest

its Lunge in england and Ireland..(probley why the oxford dictionary gave it as the preferred spelling in guessin)....iv never heard of longe before....

I concur, when in Eng-er-land you lunge your beast, when Stateside you longe!

I use both lunge and longe, but never lounge. Lounge is what I'm doing right now
    Rebel Without Cash!

Quote Originally Posted by Rubies and Pearls View Post
    I use both lunge and longe, but never lounge. Lounge is what I'm doing right now
    Yes, me too except my boss keeps ruining it by asking me to work. Good lord, what's happened to the public sector?!

Absolutely, definitely lunge in the UK - no-one here uses longe and would just assume you'd made a typo....

I think it's just another quirk of the languages. Just like you have Aluminum and we have AluminIum which leads to a totally different pronunciation.

When I post on this board I always refer to longe - but I'd never use it as a word in the UK.

If you have a young one you could be longeing,a lungeing horse. Now do you drop the e and add ing?
    The View from Here

Quote Originally Posted by cnvh View Post
    In which parts of the world is it considered correct? Serious question, not trying to be snarky...
    England for one. Longe looks so wrong to me!
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!