The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Default Finally-A simple solution to my position problems

this short video has some great information of fixing position issues... i found it on barn mice

http://www.barnmice.com/video/program-your-position-1

Thank you Jane for these great ideas. You could have a second career in psychology! Will try some of your concepts this aft.

It's going to be a complete program- I think she's going to release it on Tuesday.

Anyone who uses it, please post before and after pictures!

So...if you buy a video, you won't need lessons or to work at improving your position? Dayum! Put me down for one of them videos too!

Quote Originally Posted by slc2 View Post
    So...if you buy a video, you won't need lessons or to work at improving your position? Dayum! Put me down for one of them videos too!
    Snort, do you know ANYTHING about Jane Savoie's methods at ALL? Apparently not if you think she touts a quick fix for anything.

But if, as you seem to imply, you still have stubbornly persistent position problems after years of hard work and lessons, it might be that a new way of looking at it could help, no?

The title, "a simple solution to my position problems" is a little bit too 'simple'.

And actually, insulting me so very cleverly doesn't change facts - videos are a help, but they are not the whole solution, no matter how skilled the instructor in the video is. One still has to make an effort and ride the horse, and invariably, videos are not a complete or even partial substitute for riding lessons. Videos have been around for a long, long time. People have been watching Klimke's videos for 25 years, for example, and they still don't ride like he does.

I'm sticking with videos AND riding lessons AND a lot of hard work. There is no one - including Jane Savoie, actually, even though she's your new guru and all - who offers anything on a video that makes practice and riding lessons unnecessary or even SLIGHTLY LESS necessary. And she and any other legitimate instructor would be acutely embarrassed if her videos were touted as even a partial substitute for instruction and a lot of hard work.

Quote Originally Posted by slc2 View Post
    Actually, insulting me so very cleverly doesn't change facts - videos are a help, but they are not the whole solution, no matter how skilled the instructor in the video is. One still has to make an effort and ride the horse, and invariably, videos are not a complete substitute for riding lessons.
    I didn't insult you, did I? By implying that you might have a position problem? Most people I know, even beautiful riders, have some stubborn things they'd like to change. That wasn't meant as an insult at all. Apparently I was too clever even for myself!

Of course videos are not a substitute for lessons and riding. These are things to work on DURING your lessons and schooling sessions. They are visualizations you use while in the saddle.

Default wow... who knew

wow... when i posted the link to the position video, i never thought that anyone would go so far as to suggest that the video says you don't have to work hard!! Where did it say that you could replace sweat with a video... I think for me its a new way to communicate with my body while i am having a lesson or working on my own... Surely we ALL have things that we would like to improve on... and we all have to work hard and get tired and and and...anyhow... the title is Program Your Position... the simple part was from ME... and i actually found a few of the suggestions simple to implement...

Heit, YOU did not suggest that, but there are some among us who persist in using the "Think System" rather than blood, toil tears and sweat to achieve their goals.

(The Think System, for you young pups, was Professor Harold Hill's "Method" to teach youngsters to play band instruments from Meredith Willson's "The Music Man").

Certain triggers & visualizations to achieve correct position or whatnot are just fine, but at a certain point the practitioner of these visualizations has to push him-or-herself away from the computer desk or sofa and put them into practice. That's where the rubber meets the road.

I agree with you, beasmom. No one is ever going to invent anything that is going to change that. Jane Savoie is the master of the WYAO method. She is a good speaker and a good teacher, that is true, but she is not teaching stuff no one else is teaching, and she got where she got because she worked her butt off and took lessons. She was a waitress, not a rich lady, and she wrote the book on working your tail off harder than anyone else to get ahead. Reading that book isn't ever going to be a substitute for doing the work.

Default think system

thanks for the comment... I am unfortunately not a young pup... so familiar with the think method... however, I still think you are jumping to conclusions... I saw a short clip of a larger DVD (4 min) or so... and i applied it to my ride today... i guess that i am a positive thinker and use my thinking to apply to my physical riding... yes sweating, crying, cheering and all the other emotions that go into this wonderful sport... and it ACTUALLY helped... I am thankful that Ms. Savoie takes the time to reinvent the wheel for those of us who might just need to have ideas presented to us in another way... Bravo Jane, signing off... going to try and emulate the world cup riders... and have a glass of wine... i suggest you do the same!!

Don't knock book learning though. I can't tell you how much useful information I've been able to inject into my riding from sources like "Sustainable Dressage". It's nice to have an instructor to vet it through though...

"What are you DOING with your leg?"

"I uh, I read it in a book to do it like THIS."

"Well, you read WRONG. Try THIS."

I'm sure we've all been there
    Lifestyle coordinator for Zora, Spooky, Wolfgang and Warrior

As to the content of the video clip, I find this terminology suspiciously similar to Mary Wanless. The main difference being that Mary dives deep into very specific Rider Anatomy when making and explaining her images. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has read Mary's "Clinic" or "For the Good of the Rider" books, what similarities they find?

Aw, Heit, I wasn't jumping to conclusions regarding either your age or your abilities. A positive outlook is essential to success. So is hard work, sometimes painful therapy, and brutal criticism.

Pleased to hear you're familiar with Professor Hill's "Think System". That remains one of my favorite musicals of all time.

As far as the glass of wine -- beat you to it!

Quote Originally Posted by XenophonKnows View Post
    As to the content of the video clip, I find this terminology suspiciously similar to Mary Wanless. The main difference being that Mary dives deep into very specific Rider Anatomy when making and explaining her images. I would be interested to hear from anyone who has read Mary's "Clinic" or "For the Good of the Rider" books, what similarities they find?
    They are similar, I find a lot of overlap between Jane Savoie and Mary Wanless. They both focus on both the psychology aspect and the biomechanics aspect, but in slightly different ways.

But I don't find that "suspicious," though.

Quote Originally Posted by Heit View Post
    thanks for the comment... I am unfortunately not a young pup... so familiar with the think method... however, I still think you are jumping to conclusions... I saw a short clip of a larger DVD (4 min) or so... and i applied it to my ride today... i guess that i am a positive thinker and use my thinking to apply to my physical riding... yes sweating, crying, cheering and all the other emotions that go into this wonderful sport... and it ACTUALLY helped... I am thankful that Ms. Savoie takes the time to reinvent the wheel for those of us who might just need to have ideas presented to us in another way... Bravo Jane, signing off... going to try and emulate the world cup riders... and have a glass of wine... i suggest you do the same!!
    She's fabulous- she does tout visualization as a way to improve your riding, and it works!

And she puts things in the simplest terms. I can't tell you how many of the things she writes that I've read and said "oh, NOW I get it!"

Her materials have made a huge impact on my riding.

In what way has your riding been impacted? Are you able to canter now? Has her material helped you with your fitness level and fear issues?

I like Jane's stuff, too, but you have to work the plan and plan your work. Do you do that?

The two areas where her stuff has worked miracles for me are the fear issues and the position issues, although I have integrated her teaching into every area of my riding. The fitness is coming with time and work, but it's been a long road.

OK, you answered two of the four questions. Can you be more specific? Have you overcome fear sufficiently to canter? Are you able to ride with an independent seat? Are you working with a professional to improve your fitness on AND OFF the horse?

And I don't mean Jane. I mean someone who works with you personally, who pushes you to be as good as you can be. Without that concrete influence, it's easy to fall into complacency. For some time now you have paid lip service to "learning to ride dressage", when in fact you simply need to learn to RIDE. Period. Leave the dressage for when you're comfortable enough to canter, can hold your position through your own strength and balance, and ride in harmony with your horse. Until you can do that, you're not "doing dressage". Dressage is training of the horse, and that can't be done till the rider has the seat, the strength and the balance to control her own body.