The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Horse/Dog/House Sitting

Need some help.

What are the typical rates for horse/dog/house sitting.

it would be 3-4 horses. feeding, turning out, cleaning stalls - am and bringing in and feeding in the pm. also have dog to take care of.

do you charge a basic fee and they additional for each additional stall.

Thanks

I just did a week of 3 horses (plus my own horse), 6 dogs, 4 house cats, 1 barn cat. Fed dogs 1x/day + let out of kennels for romp time 2x a day, horses were fed 2x/day, cats fed once/day + scooped 2 litter boxes daily. Kept all horses out all day, only one in at night. Kept stalls clean of any poop during feeding.

Got $25 per day knocked off board.

Location, location, location. In some parts of the country the going rate is twice what I get here. I do have a daily rate that's based on location within the corridor of the barn where I board, the barn where I teach, and work and home, so the rates go up if the job is outside my usual area of travel. Dogs with small bladders or odd schedules cost extra. Lots of horses or complicated routines cost extra. I don't take jobs where I can't stay overnight, because it's too much of a hassle to drive 30+ minutes from my house to spend 30 minutes feeding horses before work, then have to figure out how to get cleaned up and back in town to work on time. There are a bunch of threads on how to be a good house sitter, and how to be a good house sitter's employer!

I should add the barn is 5 minutes' drive from my house. A longer drive = more gas, therefore more $.

It's probably going to vary depending on your area but I paid $70 a day. That was for her to live there and take care of 4 horses, 1 or 2 donkeys (can't remember if I had the second one at that time), 3 dogs, 3 cats, fish and it was winter so all the horses came in at night. She went home through the day but basically was here to have my house lived in.
    Sometimes I just think funny things - Dudley Moore in Arthur
    Come join us at - TheMuckBucket

Have 3 stalled horses, 2 house dogs, and a barn cat. Was going to be gone for 5 days and have a girl stay at the farm, told her I would stock the kitchen.

Figured $10/animal/day (cat is self care) = $50.00 per day.

Before we can talk price, she tells me she charges $125.00 - a week?? No, she says, a day!

For that much, I think I will stay home!

Quote Originally Posted by KnKShowmom View Post
    Have 3 stalled horses, 2 house dogs, and a barn cat. Was going to be gone for 5 days and have a girl stay at the farm, told her I would stock the kitchen.

Before we can talk price, she tells me she charges $125.00 - a week?? No, she says, a day!

HOLY MOLY, I oughta raise my rates!

Quote Originally Posted by KnKShowmom View Post

Nope, I'm in NOVA and I think that's a good price for her to STAY at your place overnight. If she's just dropping in twice a day to feed/water and check on everyone, then the price should be less. I pay $60/day for four horses and a mini-donkey getting fed/watered and checked on twice a day. They aren't stalled at night, so there's no stall cleaning. No dogs and the cats are pretty much self care. She doesn't stay at the house overnight.
    If you cannot set a good example, at least serve as a terrible warning....

For NOVA maybe so, but I am in SWVA - $50.00 was generous!

This is a college kid - when I was in college I would have done it for $25/day!

I usually charge $15 per visit (if it's close by) for up to 4 horses - and I may charge more due to other variables such as a lot of stalls to clean or leg wrapping. Some visits are quick (feed only or take blankets off) and some take longer (feed + stalls) so it balances out to about $15-18/hour...and most require at least 3 visits per day. If the dogs aren't complicated then I don't typically charge for them...and since many clients are friends also I "give" that as part of the deal.

Many people end up paying me extra because I am reliable and meticulous about the feeding routine, schedule, clean barn, water troughs, etc and I appreciate the return business and referrals I get.

And I pay the same to my friends that take care of mine if I go out of town (ha! tied to the farm).
    Ready ~ 1999-2009 ~ you were bigger than life!
    Stickers ~ 1985-2011 ~ Cody's BFF
    I miss you both very much!

I'm in N. Va.

I think the barn is about 20 miles away. I will be going there 2 times a day.

I figured $25 per visit and $5 per stall.

I have more of a variety of critters and I have a vet tech come because I have several animals that need meds twice a day. I pay $100 a day for two visits and since she lives close, she doesn't stay on the property. I tip her for the year at the holidays when we go for a week to visit my parents. I don't tip her for every stay. I live on the West coast and everything is high out here, but I consider her worth every nickle. I need the peace of mind when I'm gone and my animals love her.

Quote Originally Posted by snickerdoodle View Post
    I'm in N. Va.

I think the barn is about 20 miles away. I will be going there 2 times a day.

I figured $25 per visit and $5 per stall.
    That sounds a little high.
    I would break it down by task and then come up with a cost.

The way you have it would be a $70/day cost for the owner.

I wouldn't charge more than about $50/day, but I guess that depends on your area. But with that long of a drive I'd only do it by staying at the house- just not worth it for gas otherwise.

For 2-3 hours of work I would think around $40-$50 a day is fine.
    One of a Kind Studio
    Fine Art Paintings, Horses, Dogs, Wildlife and anything else that inspires.

New convert to the cow horse world.. love my QH mare.

I pay our farm sitter $25 per feeding. We have 3 horses, 3 dogs, and 2 cats. The cats are on self feeders. She moves into our house, and we try to stock the fridge with stuff we know she likes. If the weather is bad, and the sitting involves a lot of stall cleaning or blanket changing, then I'll add an additional $25 to her check. Usually we only go for a weekend. So far, she keeps coming back
    Elizabeth
    The Greatest Sense of Freedom is on a Horse!

Quote Originally Posted by ColoredHares View Post
    I pay our farm sitter $25 per feeding. We have 3 horses, 3 dogs, and 2 cats. The cats are on self feeders. She moves into our house, and we try to stock the fridge with stuff we know she likes. If the weather is bad, and the sitting involves a lot of stall cleaning or blanket changing, then I'll add an additional $25 to her check. Usually we only go for a weekend. So far, she keeps coming back
    May I borrow her???

I had figured $10/day/horse + $20/day for dogs + house - yard is fenced so dogs entail opening the door a few times a day and feeding them - no clean up.

I am in a bit of a bind because if I don't find a farm sitter, either me or my DH is going to have to stay home and miss watching DD show at IEA Nationals next week.