The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default What is the difference between deep seat butet and flat seat?

I currently have a flat seat butet, and I am in need of a new saddle as i have outgrown it and i was wondering what the difference is in a deep seat? Besides the obvious that it is deeper, does it feel more secure? help your eq? not really that much different? big difference? does it affect how it fits the horse? does it make the seat size actually bigger?

Thanks guys

Feels a little different. That's about it. Not so much as you'd think by reading on here.

Should not effect the seat size you take.

It's mostly a matter of personal preference, more padding is a little easier on you and, if it is a good saddle, does not change your position. More older folks like them a little softer, so do alot of Pros that ride mutiple head daily.

One thing, if you are short and want to do Eq, a flatter one would probably at least give the illusion you have a little more length of leg.

Least for me, I felt no position difference between my Butet or Childric and a dead flat Hermes and was equally secure in both...but the more padded ones were a little more comfortable after awhile.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.

Im tall, 5'10 so no need to have more leg. Is the deep seat the more padded one you are talking about?

I actually do think there's enough of a difference that it's worth sitting in both before making up your mind. My barn's tack room was robbed a few years back, so I had a few months of sitting in random saddles while I waited for a new one to arrive.

IME: the newer flat Butets are flatter than the older flat Butets. Several people in my barn replaced their flat seats with new flat seats and weren't happy. The deep seat is still pretty flat, but gives you a hair more security. They also come standard with knee blocks, though I think you can order either saddle with or without blocks.

I think there is a fairly noticeable difference so definitely recommend trying both. I haven't ridden in the new ones but I preferred the flat seat Butet in the old model, but I tend to prefer flat seats in general.

Im not sure if mine is old model or new model

its an 05 if that helps? if your talking about the fb2 it is not that it is just the normal butet. I have pictures of it, but im not selling it im keeping it so this is not a sale ad mods

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/o...4/CIMG4502.jpg
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/o...4/CIMG4509.jpg

Thanks guys

Quote Originally Posted by eqrider1234 View Post
    Im not sure if mine is old model or new model

its an 05 if that helps? if your talking about the fb2 it is not that it is just the normal butet. I have pictures of it, but im not selling it im keeping it so this is not a sale ad mods

http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/o...4/CIMG4502.jpg
    http://i371.photobucket.com/albums/o...4/CIMG4509.jpg

Thanks guys
    The fb2 is the "new" Butet, the tree is different.

Oh okay, what exactly is different about the tree.. does it fit better? There is one that i was looking at and i wasnt sure, which of course is why i came here.

one more thing, is a 2 the longest flap they make?

Dont' think the deep seat is actually deep. I sat in both at the store and the deep seat seemed to be about the same as devoucous and childeric and the others- so more like medium. The flat seat was noticeably flatter than most of the other high end saddles sitting around, and although I felt the difference, I wouldn't say it was huge. However, for the price, I'd want to feel both before picking.

Quote Originally Posted by eqrider1234 View Post
    Oh okay, what exactly is different about the tree.. does it fit better? There is one that i was looking at and i wasnt sure, which of course is why i came here.

one more thing, is a 2 the longest flap they make?
    It depends on the individual horse which tree will fit best but in general it sounds as though the fb2 might fit a wider variety of horses, the difference is that it is more open through the spine and wither area I think. I know for a fact that the gullet on the new ones is substantially wider than the old Butet, an improvement IMO and probbly more comfortable for the vast majority of horses. If I were buying a Butet I would want the fb2. Check Beval's website for details about size/flap etc.

Quote Originally Posted by touchstone- View Post
    IME: the newer flat Butets are flatter than the older flat Butets. Several people in my barn replaced their flat seats with new flat seats and weren't happy. The deep seat is still pretty flat, but gives you a hair more security.
    I would agree with touchstone.

Sit in both on the horse you intend to use it on, the shape of the horse's back can influence how the saddle feels to you.
    When opportunity knocks it's wearing overalls and looks like work.

The horse world. Two people. Three opinions.