The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

Question chapped skin remedy that doesn't STING?

WARNING: this is a big ol' whine...

We have had beatiful weather--warm, clear--but quite windy... and I have the head cowd from hell. I had about 1,723 things on my 'to do list' and funnily enough, NOT ONE of them was 'lay in bed praying for my head to explode to release the pressure.'

At any rate, I did do a few tiny things that I could do slowly and easily. Got the hotwire back up and free from grounds on the boys' paddock. etc.

And now my face is chapped. Even the Bova Cream I usually use stings, especially my nose and upper lip, but cheeks too.

Bag Balm? I hate the smell... but... <shrugs> I'm at the 'whatever works' point right now.

I'm allergic to most people stuff, but can generally use animal stuff. Go figure.

What do you use?
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Back to Normal.. or as close as I'll ever get

See if you can find a bar of beeswax/paraffin. If you have a local honey supplier or beekeeper they may have it.

I found mine at a bulk food store and then saw the same thing at Wiseway (a local Centrella market).

Shaped like a bar of soap, you just rub it in your hands and your bodyheat liquefies it. It sinks right in and isn't at all greasy. Plus it leaves a faint honey smell.

I keep a bar by my kitchen sink - it's the only thing that keeps my hands from cracking & cuticles decent.
    *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
    Steppin' Out 1988-2004
    Hey Vern! 1982-2009
    Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009

And about your head - I have become a fan of neti pots.

Gold Bond Ultimate cream. I work in healthcare and all the handwashing/hand sanitizer use cracks hands in the winter. I have tried all the creams.........this one works wonders.

Our greatgrandparents would have used bear grease or goose grease.

Heavy cream would be more readily available and would work just as well. I like how it works, but I like it on berries (and in hot chocolate) even more, so I'd never waste it on skin.

it's not the edge of the earth, but you can see it from here

I like how it works, but I like it on berries (and in hot chocolate) even more, so I'd never waste it on skin.
    Mmmmm cream & Baileys. Of course, I'd waste neither on my completely dead tastebuds at this point in time. I DO have the bottom of a carton of heavy cream though... just a smidge left... reallly????
    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Corn Huskers lotion - looks more like snot than lotion but it works

Buy some cheap cheap all cotton gloves, slather your hands in vaseline when you're ready for bed and wear the cotton gloves. The gloves keep the vaseline on your hands and off the sheets.

A & D ointment works too if you have cuts that are red.

I like that much better than Corn Huskers lotion

nivea works best for me!

Quote Originally Posted by mothermucker12 View Post
    nivea works best for me!
    Ditto on that, not the lotion, the stuff that comes in the tub! repeat: NOT the lotion! My family has been using it for over 40 years and will continue for another 40 (then I'll kick the bucket and stop counting! )

it is the ONLY thing I put on when I have break outs, hand face, whatever, and I gave it to a friend of mine after she had a chemical peel done and could find nothing to soothe the skin, she loved it!

And yes, it's farm tested and dermatologist aproved (no serious, a leading Professor in dermatology told my mom it was the best thing to use)

And there I am, not even owning stock!
    Quote Originally Posted by Mozart View Post
    Personally, I think the moderate use of shock collars in training humans should be allowed.

I put some kind of heavy oil on my hands every night, with gloves. Burt's Bees or Bag Balm or whatever. For your face - regular lotions do sting and those waxy creams I use on my hands make me break out. Try simple oil - olive oil, for example - before bed. For specific raw spots (top of the nose etc.) neosporin helps too!

And I second the neti pot for sinuses - it sounds weird and hokey, but I made an improvised one in desperation a few weeks ago, when I had a weird attack of sinusitis after an airplane flight, and it helped immensely. I didn't even do it properly - just mixed table salt and tap water in a small pitcher, bent over the sink, and poured it up my nose. I felt so much better!

beeswax or coconut oil

I personally use St.Ives 24hour care morning and night on my face and after everytime I wash my hands. I keep a bottle beside the sink in the kitchen.
    Riding the winds of change

Heeling NRG Aussies
    Like us on facebook!

Go to a health food store and get a jar of coconut oil. Wonderful stuff .
    Touchstone Farm. Visit us at the slideshow of our Dutch mares and foals below! 30 mnutes of photos.
    http://www.smilebox.com/playBlog/4d6...304f513d3d0d0a

I like Smith's Rosebud Salve. Nowadays it's become a trendy thing for lip balm, so you can get it from Urban Outfitters and Sephora and so on, but it's an old product--very lightweight and soothing and a nice light rose smell to it. I use it for lip balm, on acne and for chaps/scrapes/cuts/burns. (:

Baby oil comes in a gel too...works really well for really dry skin or chapped skin without stinging. You can massage it right in...it doesn't form a surface slick like regular baby oil does.

Also a fan of Neti Pots. Talk about an instant head-drain!
    However, they take a bit of getting used to and feel weird.

It also work if you mix up some salt and warm water until the salt dissolves, then dip in a q-tip until it's soaked and swab out inside your nostrils. Stuff should run out. If you use the Neti Pot it *pours* out.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Calendula cream.

When I have severe wind burn or chapped skin, plain vasoline works for me. Lotions and such will burn my face. Or look in the baby section to find face creams. I've used both with success.
    R.I.P Vanny 26 yr QH Stallion 4/11/82 - 5/8/08, Scout 28 yr Paint Cross Gelding, Glistening 11 yr Arab/Saddlebred Mare

West of insanity, east of apathy, deep in the heart of Texas.

For the face - Vaseline Lip Therapy, the unflavored one that comes in the little squeeze tube. Cheap, easy to carry, works like a charm.

For the hands - Gloves in a Bottle. Hypoallergenic, unscented, ungreasy, and a lifesaver to my husband and others who have contact dermatitis issues. It's the first thing DH has tried that has actually worked, and believe me, he's tried plenty. You usually have to get it online.
    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
    A life lived by example, done too soon.
    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

My all time favorite for mine and my kids chapped faces is Palmer Cocoa Butter in a stick. Don't use the lotion. It comes in a stick. You can buy it at Walmart or any of the drug stores. It is like a large tube of lipstick. Just rub the stick qently over the chapped areas, cheeks, lips, roll in on your finger and wipe the chapped area under your nose etc. Ahhhhhhhhh relief, very easy to apply, mild smell, easy to stick in your pocket, no stinging, and it lasts forever. I have been using this on my kids since they were babies and it works great. Can't beat the ease of application either.
    "Don't make me go all chestnut mare on you"!

Burre de Karité = Shea Butter

You can get the 100% of it at l'Occitane. Amazing stuff. All natural. VERY moisturizing. I swear by it. And, no burning. I use this stuff a lot.
    lindasp62
    Founder & Donor/Account Advisor
    Brennan Equine Welfare Fund
    http://www.brennanequinewelfarefund.com/index.html

PA, where the State motto is: "If it makes sense, we don't do it!".

I second Calendula products! Made from Calendula flowers, also know as "pot marigolds".

I buy Boiron Calendula lotion or Nelson's Calendula cream at a local discount beauty store, but it is generally found in health food stores. Also good for sun burn, burns and scalds, and wounds of any kind. No sting and it has properties in it that heal the skin very quickly!!!! No oils in it either....

Case in point: my horse had a two inch gash near her elbow that the vet said he couldn't stitch because it was on a muscle and any stitches would have kept ripping open every time she moved. I cleaned the wound with antibacterial soap then applied the Calendula cream twice a day and within a week it had healed to a scab the size of a quarter. I continued to apply it faithfully and within a few more days it was the size of a dime and within two weeks it was totally healed!

It's a little pricey but a bottle (or tube) lasts me at least a year! Try it, you'll love it!!!!
    "One person can change the world, and everyone should try." ~John F. Kennedy~