The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Default Removing Cat Urine from Leather Boots

Help! How do you remove cat pee from leather boots? Not _our_ barn cat, but another!

Most pet stores carry lots of products for removing odors. Read the labels and find one that's safe for leather.

Pure hydrogen peroxide will always work and is very cheap. Test a small spot first. Works on carpet too.

Vineagar and baking soda??? Google it.

I've never successfully gotten that out of leather. Is there really hope?

Hmmn, yeah, I'd love to hear a proven remedy for this one. I once picked up a round bale at a farm in Middleburg, drove home and unloaded it from my horse trailer -- along with one of the barn cats from the guy's farm. Drove the cat back in the morning in my Miata -- too lazy to dig out the cat carrier and, for my trouble, the cat rewarded me by pee-ing all over my Coach purse and my leather passenger seat. Tossed the purse. And you don't notice the smell in the car unless it's been parked in the sun for a while... That was one expensive round bale.
    ~Another proud member of the TrakehNERD clique ~

Pretty darned hard to get cat pee 100% out of leather.
    Like lilypond stated above...once those boots warm up in the sun, they'll stink again.
    I'd make damned sure that other cat doesn't visit again.
    You jump in the saddle,
    Hold onto the bridle!
    Jump in the line!
    ...Belefonte

Hydrogen peroxide will destroy the proteins in cat urine that make the smell come back when it is hot/humid. I would give it a try, but test the leather first- it could damage the dye.

try "Nature's Miracle" cleaning solution.
    Appy Trails,
    Kathy & Cadet
    member CDCTA www.cdcta.com, TROT www.trot-md.org & Free State Appaloosa Horse Club freestateaphc.org

Nature's Miracle for Cats. PetsMart carries it. It got everything out of my LEATHER chair! No staining, no scrubbing. It is indeed a miracle! Nothing else on the market touched it.

ditto nature's miracle. great stuff. good luck.
    Don't wrassle with a hog. You just get dirty, and the hog likes it.

Collecting Thoroughbreds - tales of a re-rider and some TBs

Thanks for all the suggestions! Cat pee is in a class by itself when it comes to stink.

Default nothing worse than cat pee!!!!

I wish you all the best in removing cat pee from your boots. However, beware, although the stain may be gone and they may smell good at the time of cleaning, lookout!! Once you get to a show and your feet start sweating you will be smelled before your in sight. My cat peed in my loafers, I thought no biggy I'll clean them. When I got to work you could smell me for miles!!!!! The same cat that peed in my loafers peed on my briefcase, and on several other pairs of shoes. This was new behavior and I do think he was trying to frame the new cat at our house. Good luck!

I have no idea. But, I have to tell you that when I read the title of the post, I made such a "oh no!" face that it made my husband ask what was wrong.
    Good luck! And, if any of the suggestions do work...come back and let us know!

There is a fantastic product called PB Gone. And I speak from experience. Our adorable elderly cat took a shine to mr. chai's $250 Italian loafers and decided to try one on as a litter box.
    PBGone cleaned it completely.

Default Mr. Chai's loafers

Quote Originally Posted by chai View Post
    There is a fantastic product called PB Gone. And I speak from experience. Our adorable elderly cat took a shine to mr. chai's $250 Italian loafers and decided to try one on as a litter box.
    Thats fantastic! So it cleaned the loafers but when Mr. Chai's feet feel the heat, can he smell the cat? I need to find PB Gone, my cat also peed on my Barbour wax jacket and I pitched it, I wish I had known of PB Gone at the time.

I had a brand new Ariat belt that was the victim of cat pee. I soaked it in Nature's Miracle, figuring it couldn't hurt it any worse than the pee! After it dried it was just fine. No discoloring of lingering odor.

I left it to soak through for a day or two, so it was really saturated, and then hung it to dry. As good as new!

Default Weird Name but Good Stuff

Anti Icky Poo (available online or at pet stores). Haven't tried it on leather but works great on fabrics, furniture, carpeting.

Our one cat peed on our new leather couch. Natures Miracle Citrus Scent has been the one thing that works to get the smell out completely. I was worried that it would damage the dye but it didn't so I just dumped it on and soaked it.

Quote Originally Posted by chai View Post
    Sounds good Chai!
    Dont know if this works on cat whiz, as mine are more into throwing up hair balls, but................
    the thing used by cops and EMTs in Atlanta to clean up human vomit and whiz from squad cars was:
    newspaper. The formaldehyde in the newspapers soaps up the smell and ick on new stains.
    I would think that on old stains, using the newspapers over and over would help, and wetting the newspapers (with water not fresh cat whiz) would help too. (And a paper such as the Atlanta Constitution would be best, not the slick feeling USA Today type)
    If it works, send a donation to the Atlanta Police Department for injured cops.