The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast
    Pony Owner Guest

Default Easier way to get water HOT enough for the AV?

My stallion likes his AV at 52 C. I normally like to put water in the AV at 54 C, and by the time I am done everything and ready to collect, it has cooled down to the right temperature. My problem, our tap hot water only gets as hot as 50 C. I am forced to boil water on the stove in order to get it hot enough. Husband has pimped up our current hot water tank and we have it at the max. Short of having to spend $600 on a new hot water tank, that may not even do the trick, what does everyone else do to get their water hot enough for the AV? Boiling water is so time consuming and I just don't have $600 to test out whether a new hot water tank will do the trick.

I stick the pan on the stove on low a bit before my vet arrives. She uses the thermometer and adds cool water if need be. Slick and quick.
    Sandy
    www.sugarbrook.com
    hunter/jumper ponies

we use an electric kettle..the type that comes off the base. It boils in about 3 minutes......works great plus I like how I can take the kettle off the base and leave the cord behind.

Try a bucket heater-deicer. Can be used in the barn and gets the water hot enough.

Ditto the kettle.
    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Well, I'm glad I'm not the only one that can't use hot water out of the faucet because it doesn't get hot enough! I always feel like some hillbilly when I put my stewing pot full of water on the stove and wait the five minutes until it gets to the temperature that I need. I think I'd rather do that than the kettle, as the kettle would heat to boiling and then you likely wouldn't be able to estimate your final temperature after filling the AV. I heat the water with a thermometer, just past the temperature each stallion likes and then pour it into the AV. By the time we've ready to collect, it's at the perfect temperature every time!
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

I also use a kettle to boil water. To adjust the temp, I put hot water from the faucet in to an Arizona Tea gallon jug, , and add some boiling water to that to bring it up to the fill temp. Then I fill from the gallon bottle.

JFYI, when I was shipping out to a repro clinic for collections, they were using an electric kettle too, and they collected about a dozen stallions per day.

Maybe I'm not using hot enough water but I use tap water. They seem ok with it. How did you know that they needed hotter water?
    www.grayfoxfarms.com Home of Redwine, Aloha, Federalist, Romantic Star and Rated R.

Quote Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
    How did you know that they needed hotter water?
    Mine won't ejaculate if the water is not hot enough. As he gets older though, he wants is less hot. This year, he backed out fast at the same temp he wanted at the end of last season. It is very stallion dependent.

They also tend to produce more gel if something is not to their liking. When I get it right, mine has no gel, but if it is too hot, he has LOTS.

Many (most?) hot water heaters have a restricter on them preventing the water from going above about 50C. Which, when you fill most AV's will end up stabilizing to about 45 degrees. Warm enough for some stallions but definitely not warm enough for many. It's a royal PIA having to boil water to get it hot enough and invariably, it ends making it too hot or not hot enough. And if you're using disposable liners and get it too hot, the liner will melt. Arrgggg.... Flying Plum has the right idea. You can use a 5 gallon bucket, fill it with hot water, stick a bucket heater into it and just monitor it until it's at the right temperature for use. Works great without the muss and fuss!

Edited to add: It is not uncommon in particular in newer homes, for there to be a plumbing system in place that mixes hot and cold water to prevent the water coming out of the tap/shower getting too hot and accidentally scalding someone. This is called a "tempering valve". Note that this is separate from the water heater, and most are adjustable. Those who are experiencing difficulty getting water hot enough might want to check their plumbing system for the presence of one of these valves and see if they can turn the temperature up on it. For a "reverse effect" (to figure out how to uninstall one), you might want to take a look at an article that describes installing a tempering valve.

Disclaimer: If anyone adjusts or removes a tempering valve as a result of this post, they need to be aware that they have increased the chances of someone being scalded in their house, and that they have been warned of this, and have chosen to make alterations at their own volition!

Hope that helps!
    Last edited by Equine Reproduction; Apr. 21, 2009 at 12:48 AM.
    Equine-Reproduction.com Now offering one on one customized training!
    Leg-Up Equestrian Assistance Program, Inc. A 501(c)(3) non-profit charity

Quote Originally Posted by Equine Reproduction View Post
    You can use a 5 gallon bucket, fill it with hot water, stick a bucket heater into it and just monitor it until it's at the right temperature for use.
    Yes, but trying to fill the AV from a 5 gallon bucket is not an easy chore.

I find I only use a couple of cups of boiling water to bring my hot water jug up to the right temp. It may not work for the bigger AVs, but for the French one, it is perfect.

Quote Originally Posted by Fairview Horse Center View Post
    Yes, but trying to fill the AV from a 5 gallon bucket is not an easy chore.
    <smile>..Uh huh! That's what funnels are for! I use that and a big measuring cup and just start pouring it in. The best part is that if we're working in really cold weather or with a new stallion training, the five gallon bucket has enough water that we can go back and get more hot water if we need it.

We started out heating water on the stove. It worked fine, if a little time consuming.

Then when we built our lab a few years ago, we bought a gas (propane) hot water heater (wall mount) on eBay for about $200. That works VERY well, though we have a stallion who really doesn't care much about the temperature. I admit that I used to be SUPER CAREFUL about getting it exactly where he liked it (VERY hot), but as time when on, as Darlyn mentioned, he liked it cooler and cooler, so at this time of year I just crank it up to as hot as it will get, and that works fine. Though if it is very cold, I prefill the AV to warm it while I fuss around getting everything else ready, then pour the water out and refill when we are ready to go.

Later in the year I turn the water heater down, since in say, July, max temp would be way, way too hot.
    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Microwave. I bought a older style microwave at a yard sale for $10 that is so big inside you could cook a turkey in it. I can fit a bucket in it. I keep it in the barn. Great for heating up water, beet pulp and your warm beverage when it's too darn cold outside.

We have an old hot water heater in the barn too. Water coming out of there is HOT and it only travels about 1 ft through a metal pipe before it comes out a short hose.
    Altamont Sport Horses
    Trakehners * Knabstruppers * Appaloosa Sport Horses
    Home of stallions: Ambrosius af Asgard "Atlantis" & Hollywood Hot Spot
    Birmingham, AL

My brain is in scheme mode to try and figure out a more efficient way of heating up water to the precise temperature now that everyone has been mentioning kettles.

What about a product like this? Too bad it wasn't a 4L kettle! You can zoom in very close and see you can regulate the temperature to whatever you want.
    http://www.canadiantire.ca/AST/brows...l%2BKettle.jsp

Or this one?
    http://www.sunpentown.com/sphotwapotwi1.html

I think I would opt to purchase two of the Bravetti kettles and at least know I can walk away from them and set the rest of the AV up, knowing the water would be at the exact temperature I need it to be! With three stallions being collected this year, I think I might just do that. Thoughts?
    www.DaventryEquestrian.com
    Home of Welsh Pony, ISR/Oldenburg & RPSI pony stallions Daventry's Power Play, Goldhills Brandysnap LOM & Alvesta Picasso
    Also home to www.EquineAppraisers.com

We amongst others have hot water out of the water heater but if not I would use a water heater and a small electric water boiler that comes off the base to easily add a small amount of hot water or just that to add to cold water already in the AV.
    www.immunallusa.com
    www.rainbowequus.com Home of stallions that actually produced champion hunter, jumper and dressage offspring and now also champion eventers

Just running water through your 12 cup coffeemaker (without the grounds) can also give you a quick and easy source of boiling water to add to your hottest tap water to get the AV to the stallion's liking.

Also (this dates me), those BIG old-timey metal coffee makers used for church banquets (and you can probably find online) can provide 30+ cups of boiling water as well. Bet you can find one at the Salvation Army store. Handy for getting water hot enough for soaking abscesses as well!

Quote Originally Posted by grayfox View Post
    Maybe I'm not using hot enough water but I use tap water. They seem ok with it. How did you know that they needed hotter water?
    Me too -- it seemed to work....I'll be curious as to the responses.

Quote Originally Posted by Kyzteke View Post
    Me too -- it seemed to work....I'll be curious as to the responses.
    Jill, your water is just barely hot enough and if you'll recall, there were a couple times when I ended up having to go back down and re-heat the AV. Fortunately, you're also where the weather is a bit more kind and it isn't 20 degrees outside when you're trying to collect

Stallions prefer that the lumen of the AV be between 113 and 130 fahrenheit. Not hot enough and most stallions won't collect. In cold weather, if the water isn't warm enough, by the time you get up to where you're collecting, the AV will often cool down too much before everyone is ready. We generally want the water coming from the faucet to be at least 10 degrees warmer than we want the lumen of the AV to be. So, if I've got a stallion that likes the AV hot, I want the water from the tap to be 140 degrees. That will usually stabilize out to be right at 130 degrees. However, if it's cold outside and we've got to walk a bit to get to where we'll be collecting and if we're working with a young stallion that's never been collected before, it can take a couple times of going back in and re-heating the AV.

Hope that helps!

The vet I use for collection also uses a microwave. It seems to work well for her at the stallion station where she's collecting a lot of stallions for days on end.
    A Merrick N Dream Farm
    Proud Member of "Someone Special to me serves in the Military" Clique