The Chronicle of the Horse
MagazineNewsHorse SportsHorse CareCOTH StoreVoicesThe Chronicle UntackedDirectoriesMarketplaceDates & Results

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Default Jumper Trainers in the Dallas, TX Area

I am moving to Dallas mid may and wanted to hook up with a BNT that does the jumpers. I would like to show at the A level but since i will doing an internship for the summer I wont be able to travel out of state alot.

So basically what I am looking for is a great trainer who will take on people who time wise arent able to show 24/7 but still want to compete at a higher than the local level.

I have searched the forum and I have only found old threads about this so I wanted to find out who is still in the area and if anyone had any recommendations.

the only person I have been directed towards is celine burch.
    does anyone know if Mike and Tracy take on students, i havent seen them at HITS with any besides their rides.

I am moving from VA and I am NOT bringing my own horse so I would need to find a facility that has either "showable" lesson horses or lease to show options.

Thanks a TON for any help

Mike takes on students. Matt Cyphert and the Hensens also very good. I'm not really sure if any of them would have lease horses or lesson horses readily available. Mike generally has a lot of horses just hanging around the barn but he usually spends from early June until the end of July out of state showing so I'm not sure if that would really work for you.

You won't find any A shows in Texas during July and August.

where the truck's a Ford and the tractor's green

I would check with Summer Hill (Jordan Siegel/Laura Hightower) and another would be Flower Mound Equestrian Center... it's under new management - my friend's parents own it and they have a few nice horses.

Also, if you are interested in riding babies/greenies/ponies/a bit of everything, you might try to get in contact with Anne Hedge. She has a small farm in Aubrey - I used to ride with her for a while when I was in HS and I got to sit on a lot of different types of horses, which really helped me with my own horse. She posts on her, although I think more in sporthorse breeding section.... www.whitehedgefarm.com

......I also know a lady in Argyle (verrrrry close to Fox Glen - same neighborhood) that has two 16.1h+ paint horses that she wants to get started jumping/showing. I started jumping the one last summer, but I think he's been doing flat work since I went back to school and I won't be home over the summer, so I bet she still needs a rider.

I second Laura and Jordan at Summerhill, I've been with them for over a year and it has been a great experience. They let you ride alot of different horses, and go to both in-state and out-of-state shows. PM me if you want more info

I recently moved to Texas, and didn't realize till I got here how HUGE the state is.
    If you are working you may want to look for a barn that attends shows locally (not Local shows...) since some shows in-state can be 8-10 hours away, whereas an A show in OK is less than 4 hours away.
    That was never something I thought of coming from up north where all in-state shows are 2 hours max! And 3 states away is still only 4 hours! Haha

Not much in texas is 'centrally located'. The shows you will find that are in daily driving distance are Las Colinas and Tyler, Waco if you really like to drive...

ushjchick Guest

Beware of the Dallas H/J scene. I just had my best friend move down there from the east coast and they are 20 years behind us. I thought she was being a "prima donna" and flew down there to check out some barns and trainers-WOW-I was so glad to get back home.
    Matt Syfert, Julie Cleveland, Tracey Finney-checked them all out.
    Minimal turn out-horse goes out for 2 hours a day on dirt, coastal hay, level 6 jumpers is really level 5, never heard of packing hooves at horse shows, game-ready or magnetic thearapy-yeah, clueless-the 1980's called from Dallas and said to call this place home............can go on and on about how backwards this place is.

Quote Originally Posted by ushjchick View Post
    Beware of the Dallas H/J scene. I just had my best friend move down there from the east coast and they are 20 years behind us. I thought she was being a "prima donna" and flew down there to check out some barns and trainers-WOW-I was so glad to get back home.
    Minimal turn out-horse goes out for 2 hours a day on dirt, coastal hay, level 6 jumpers is really level 5, never heard of packing hooves at horse shows, game-ready or magnetic thearapy-yeah, clueless-the 1980's called from Dallas and said to call this place home............can go on and on about how backwards this place is.
    can't say I disagree
    talked to one trainer who didn't know that there were horse who didn't 'drift' when jumping... didn't believe there was such a thing- I told her I owned one, she didn't believe me
    I left.

Well - I moved down here from the AA scene on the east coast 2 years ago. I am with Jim and Joan at Foxglen and nothing could be FARTHER from their scene. We do enormous maintenance (feet, magnetic, chiro, magna, alpha stim, etc) and upkeep is meticulous. My horses have never been in better shape in their lives or happier. Horses out all the time.....plenty of change of scenery......we do Devon, Cap Challenge, indoors, etc. Now - I have watched a lot of the other trainers and yes - there are some serious holes....but there are also several people here who are more than moving in the same levels as the BNT's back east that I know. Like anywhere - there are trainers here showing on the highest levels, some doing the mid level shows, and others on the "C" team. Depends on what your needs are, what you want and who you know. Tell you friend to keep looking - there are many choices. Also - we are having a Jeff Cook clinic at Foxglen in May....which your friend might be interested in. Most "AA" level barns don't have lesson horses - most big show barns are gone for the whole summer here....she might be able to find a lease thing tho....

Thanks for the info!! I'm so sad to hear that the system is dated Does anyone know Matt Cypherts contact info? pm if you need to. I looked on USHJA and it wasn't listed. Is peter pletcher still in texas?

Also, i would be looking for a facility that does have show lease horses--I am sick of riding greenies thats why im leaving them in VA.

- i lived in texas for 16 years and never thought twice about the "close" 8hr drives to horse shows haha! I am spoiled now-- i am so sick of the "long" two hr drive to upperville.

txjumpergirl Guest

mmnagf i sent you an im

Default There's one in every crowd

..... 5, never heard of packing hooves at horse shows, game-ready or magnetic thearapy-yeah, clueless-the 1980's called from Dallas and said to call this place home............can go on and on about how backwards this place is.
    Listen Missy ushjchick..... I "grew up" grooming and braiding for Mike long before Tracy was his love interest and groomed for Peter Pletcher and managed his barn on the road. We did great things to keep our horses happy and healthy (not so many soundness tools back then). Now, I show in Cali, I am a rep for Game Ready and an Equine Body Worker and I can name TOP trainers--or perceived to be "top" who "don't believe in body work" and can't see why they'd want to spend money on Game Ready purchase or individual treatments I offer at shows.

There are just as many backwards horsemen/women in California or East Coast, or anywhere as there is in Texas, and many great trainers too.

Jim and Joan do a great job. Karla Hurdle is training out there. She was an AHSA Jr. Jumper Champion. There are good people who care. Just gotta look and interview 'em!

Don't have enough experience with trainers back in the northeast (where I am originally from) but I've been in Texas for 11 years now and want to add a comment regarding "behind the times".

When I had horses in regular competition we were with a German trainer who was very set in "the German way". There was alot of contact with visiting German riders, breeders, trainers at that barn and almost all believed in using a minimum of extra treatments and therapies.

This is not to say that they let a horse be ill or hurting and they did give needed supplements such as electrolytes and Red Cell (I think that was it) for the horses in regular competition. Horses were given 6 - 8 hours of turnout in nicely grassed paddocks or were put on the "German" exercise machine (hot walker with horse loose in an enclosed space and computerized program of speeds and direction).

Sore horses were given a rest from competition, no horse did more than 2 classes a day at shows etc.

All the horses were extremely healthy and fit. Trainer allowed owners to add other therapies at their discretion (acupuncture, massage, extra supps etc) but his opinion was that it wasn't necessary with good horse management and he had no problem telling owners that he thought they were wasting their money.

Oh - and is Russell Frey still in Dallas? I thought I heard recently he had moved. (I'm out of the show loop).

Quote Originally Posted by ProzacPuppy View Post
    Oh - and is Russell Frey still in Dallas? I thought I heard recently he had moved. (I'm out of the show loop).
    Went to Houston I believe. Someone might want to confirm that.....I am also very out of the loop.

Backward Texan transplanted from California! *waves*

Uh, backwards? Sorry, a little offended here. Yes, we are backwards. Our facilites are all crap, our hay is hideous, our management sucks. Please. Give me a break. I work at a tiny facility in the middle of the city and our horses turn out in the very arenas we ride in for at least 6 hours a day. They may not have pasture turnout but our care is just as good as any barn. Our barn manager is the best around and if my horse so much as gets a scrape or drops more than a few pounds she's on the phone.

I've heard amazing things about Foxglen and am considering heading out there for lessons as well. There is another barn, smaller, but also nice called Hogany Top Farms and I've heard great things about Jo as well.

Yep, Russel moved to Houston, but is probably never there either.... on the road, ya know!
    That's also where you'll find Peter Pletcher.
    As others have said, Jim and Joan at Foxglen are top notch. But we're talking TOP notch, and I believe you must attend a certain number of shows to be one of their clients. Since you're going to be busy, you might not make the quota..... but you might, too!
    Julie Cleveland would be another good option for a Jumper rider who can't travel everywhere.
    Mike and Tracy, of course.
    Matt, too.
    Stacey Goodson at BayYard farm.... hasn't been mentioned yet.
    Belynda Bond waaaaayyyy out in Pilot Point.
    For what you're wanting, I wouldn't bother with Flower Mound Equestrian.
    Laura and Jordan would not be my personal choice......
    The Kallenberger's at The Paddocks might be another option for more "local" A shows.
    Celine Burch is a very nice person, the facility is HUGE and very very COVERED... turn out is poor, and Celine really hasn't been doing this very long. I'm sure you'd like her, but it sounds like you're looking for somebody with years and years of experience behind them.
    Erin Davis Walsh at October Hill Farm might be another option for you. She only has a very few clients, but she is a Grand Prix rider in her own right.
    There are other, more local-oriented folks who are quite adept as well, but I think I've run the gamut on the quality of folks it sounds like you're looking for.
    Good Luck!
    KD

There's a show series in Tyler in May that would be a good opportunity to go watch, listen and talk to many of the area trainers.
    Probably the best way to find a trainer/barn that suits you is to go watch them in action. Talk to people who actually train with them and watch some of their students. If you've been riding for very long at all, I'm sure you are aware that opinions vary WIDELY on barns/trainers.
    And, if you're looking for an "in barn" lease - of course that will be a deciding factor as well.

Tyler is only a couple of hours away - so easy to drive down there and back in a day. The THJA website has dates, etc. or you can PM me and I'll give you more information.

Not sure if ALL the trainers who have been mentioned will be there - but it's usually one of the better attended "local" A shows.

Oh, and ushjchik - certainly you are entitled to your opinion re: Texas HJ scene. However I haven't found that to be the case at all. My horse has great turnout, is managed superbly and there are a variety of therapies available for use on him if needed - including a magnetic system and Game Ready. As anywhere else, there are incompetent trainers/Barn managers around - but some really good ones also.

Question Mike and Tracy

I have been trying to contact Four M but the number I have just rings and rings....430-0301 ..anyone know if this is the best #?

DuPeePen Guest

To USJCHICK. I know for a fact the east coast is behind on therapies for horses. In Weatherford, Tx (very close to Dallas) they have a hyperbaric chamber which has fantastic results and in comparison makes your therapies seem from the 70's let alone the 80's. I know the upper end race horses have had HUGE success with it and we personally have seen unbelievable MIRACLES. We also have swimming pools, aqua tread, pulsed signal therapy...etc.